GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bump stops - To trim or not to trim

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I have a serious case of Reverse Rake with my H&R springs... Instead of adding on the back the TT Rubber Pads or the ED spacers, can I go lower by cutting my front bump stops?

I want to level the drop a little more and I know I can achieve this by going higher on the back.. but I prefer actually going lower on the front. If cutting them will work, then I found my solution.

Thanks!

I assume they were installed correctly?

To answer your question, no. Unless your front springs were so compressed they were resting on them...but then you would have way bigger issues on your hands. The bump stops are just resting around each damper’s piston until the spring is compressed enough for them to be needed to stop the compression. That’s not when the car is just sitting there.

The springs are dictating the ride height, not the bump stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
I have a serious case of Reverse Rake with my H&R springs... Instead of adding on the back the TT Rubber Pads or the ED spacers, can I go lower by cutting my front bump stops?

I want to level the drop a little more and I know I can achieve this by going higher on the back.. but I prefer actually going lower on the front. If cutting them will work, then I found my solution.

Thanks!
Are you DSG or manual transmission? Manual cars tend to sit higher in the front compared to DSG.

luisjbetances

To answer your question, no. Unless your front springs were so compressed they were resting on them...but then you would have way bigger issues on your hands. The bump stops are just resting around each damper’s piston until the spring is compressed enough for them to be needed to stop the compression. That’s not when the car is just sitting there.

Thanks!! Now I know that basically the ED Spacers or the TT Pads are my only option, since I don't wanna buy springs or coil overs all over again. Lesson learned, next time I'll go with coil overs from the beginning.

flip7

Ready to race!
Does anyone know how long is the OEM bump stock in the MK7 GTI non PP 6MT on the rear?

And secondly - does a 1 1/4" coil-over lowering require shorter bump stocks? I did mine and forgot about this part :mad:

teemmy

Ready to race!

So this is weird - i was getting some low speed suspension noise and i saw on another thread that someone cut his rear bump stops to get rid of it. I just did this the other day and now I have terrible reverse rake. It definitely dropped the rear of the car. I am convinced that the car must have been resting on the bump stops at rest and while driving - I have racingline sport suspension which has their matching dampers with VWR springs.

Now I'm debating if I should do anything about it....

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I too have some rear suspension noise... some creaking at low speeds... I didn’t cut my bump stops. I’m going to try new mounts...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The mounts are all metal though. Would target either the bump stops or rear sway.

There is a rubber element in the mount...

Yeah I’m going to disconnect the sway bar when I get back from vacation and see what changes. I didn’t take the springs out when I installed the shocks. I took out the end link bolts and the strut bolt... which makes me think it can’t be the springs either

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I have a 6MT, 2019 Rabbit Edition GTI and installed the base Golf springs from Eibach that some call the "Euro Eibachs" or "Linear Eibachs". I couldn't figure out what to do with the bump stops and I'm super OCD. After consulting Eibach tech support who got Eibach R&D involved. After hours of research, we concluded to cut the front bump stops by 15mm and cut the rear bump stops by 32mm. This corresponds with what Eibach recommends to do if you install the U.S. Eibach Pro-kit. These are a very subtle drop spring kit, under an inch(.98"Fr and .79"Rr) so if you're installing something on par with what I call an "aggressive stock" look this is may be a good starting point.

CS!

Passed Driver's Ed
So this is weird - i was getting some low speed suspension noise and i saw on another thread that someone cut his rear bump stops to get rid of it. I just did this the other day and now I have terrible reverse rake. It definitely dropped the rear of the car. I am convinced that the car must have been resting on the bump stops at rest and while driving - I have racingline sport suspension which has their matching dampers with VWR springs.

I have an issue with my car ( fitted with Eibach Spotlines) suffering from severe positive rake.
The rear sits 10mm higher than the front. I would like to have rear lower by around 5mm.
I have always assumed that if the car is not sitting on the bumpstops, it will not atler the ride height in any form.
Since i am not keen on cutting the spring to achieve a further 5mm lowering in the rear, would it be a worthwhile exercise to trim the bumsptop?

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I've cut bump stops on every coilover install I've done, didn't feel the need with the moderate drop of my VWR springs, but I probably should have as I've hit the bump stops a few times on larger "g out" bumps in the road at highway speed. Pretty harsh when you hit them
when you hit large bumps, does it sound like a "bang" or "metal on metal bang"?

Thanks

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
when you hit large bumps, does it sound like a "bang" or "metal on metal bang"?

Thanks

Its been a long time, but no bang. You can just feel the harsh difference when the bump stops are basically 10X the stiffness of the suspension.

Ive been on Bilstien B14 for about 8 months now and love them, but would’ve gone B16 had they been available

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A great podcast (but somewhat long....good for a long commute/drive). Steve Dinan of BMW fame talks all about suspension (among other things) and does dive into bump stops a bit. I think the key is that bumpstops are part of your suspension and are a progressive microcellular spring so just cutting them isn't maybe always the best idea vs. maybe using the same lenght but a different rate/durameter etc. to work with the higher rate lowering spring.

Technical | H&R Special Springs, LP. (hrsprings.com)