GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Built motor PCV woes - Input appreciated... Excessive blowby? Vent to atmosphere PCV?

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Is there a baffle in the "doghouse" on top of the Spulen PCV plate? The VWR plate has one that more or less forces the oil to climb over it before it can flow to the CC. It would probably be an improvement to either design to have the hose fitting on top of the doghouse (exiting vertically) rather than in front...

I received my Spulen PCV plate today. There doesn't seem to be any baffle inside. Seems to blow straight through. I can't say if the design is the best or not, but in the case of the OEM, the issue is probably with the rubber flapper on top which actuates with vacuum and an internal spring against it rather than the baffle channels. In the case of the VWR, the top mechanism if you will may, may not be best. It's probably better for oil control, and maybe not as good in having a mechanical actuation to react with boost/vacuum fluctuations. I think that is where the OEM PCV fails.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I received my Spulen PCV plate today. There doesn't seem to be any baffle inside. Seems to blow straight through. I can't say if the design is the best or not, but in the case of the OEM, the issue is probably with the rubber flapper on top which actuates with vacuum and an internal spring against it rather than the baffle channels. In the case of the VWR, the top mechanism if you will may, may not be best. It's probably better for oil control, and maybe not as good in having a mechanical actuation to react with boost/vacuum fluctuations. I think that is where the OEM PCV fails.

IIRC, Ed from EQT already diagnosed the OEM PCV and compared it to his Spulen V2 PCV plate and posted his findings on here. The OEM plate has a very thin rubber flap that is very flimsy which is why it can not handle the added pressure/boost from bigger turbos.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I don't recall seeing it, but I will go through his posts and read up on it.
Been contemplating a little side project since I now have 3 OEM PCVs to play around with.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I was running the Spulen v2 plate and kit for a while. Worked well for a few months and then all of the sudden idle felt off and mpg was bad.
Did some investigating and noticed there was something no good happening with the kit.

Did the 'pull the dip stick out to see if the idle gets rough' and nope, no change. Unscrewed the oil filler cap and it's pushing air out. fml
It's some how adding more pressure to the crank case which is uber no good.

swapped back to the factory pcv plate and all is well again.

USP wouldn't do shit for me since I'm not a legitimate shop and wanted me to pay for a shop to diagnose it before they would offer any warranty on it. Yeah, so there goes $500+ I can't get back.

The pressure didn't seem to cause any issues as compression is still good on the car and it runs great, but ugh about the whole situation.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'm still on stock PCV but looking at the stock diagrams and pics of the aftermarket plates.... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the OEM pcv is a 2 way system that applies a suction on the crankcase at idle/cruise. And the aftermarket plates are simply a metal piece with some baffling that vent out the hose to the air intake. So with aftermarket plate, you'd expect some positive pressure when removing the oil fill cap etc. Also I don't think idle is going to be affected by pulling off the oil cap or dipstick. That is likely only applicable to engines with MAF and pulling in unmetered air in those scenarios.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
If the car is running right, Idle is marginally affected by pulling off the dipstick, but is definitely affected if removing the oil cap.
The latter should eventually generate some codes and eventually a visual display for those.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I was running the Spulen v2 plate and kit for a while. Worked well for a few months and then all of the sudden idle felt off and mpg was bad.
Did some investigating and noticed there was something no good happening with the kit.

Did the 'pull the dip stick out to see if the idle gets rough' and nope, no change. Unscrewed the oil filler cap and it's pushing air out. fml

USP wouldn't do shit for me since I'm not a legitimate shop and wanted me to pay for a shop to diagnose it before they would offer any warranty on it. Yeah, so there goes $500+ I can't get back.

The pressure didn't seem to cause any issues as compression is still good on the car and it runs great, but ugh about the whole situation.

At this point I am gonna give the Spulen V2 a chance, but I will know rather quickly if it solved my issue or not. I have no use for the catch can setup if not for the PCV plate, much less to spend $600+

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I've had the Spulen kit on my 18SE FBO IS 38 for 50,000 miles without any problems.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Just in case. My issue isn't / hasn't been blow by to the intake track or smoke on aggressive driving. Intake track has always been dry and I have always ran the APR catch can with OEM PCV plate on APR ST2 tune at who knows what kind of boost. Now at UM is 29 psi and clearly higher. Just trying to keep oil from going into my cylinders, like so.

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 138

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
If it's not coming from above it's getting past your rings.

I hope it isn't the case, if so the fun was short lived.
Seems to go away every time I change the PCV to a new one, compression is good and doesn't appear to be lost. I don't appear to have oil consumption issues though one would think I would, but then again I have no smoke out the back either.

Will take a closer look this weekend.