GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building a PC, Need help!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Trying to build a budget build but still have decent performance.
Purpose: no gaming, video playing, video recording via webcam, internet, movie watching stuff)
CPU comes with a cooler (should be fine)
Please take a look at my list and let me know if it's too much overkill or area that can save some money on.
Thanks in advance!

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Honestly, that's more processor than you realistically need but it's a good value unit so I'd keep it. You also could scale back on the PSU (based on wattage) but again, that's so cheap I don't think it makes sense to scale back. I run almost the exact same RAM in my box and it's great.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If you don't plan on gaming and stuff, something like this might be better.

Dell Inspiron 3670

It includes the operating system, which you would need to buy. Has a HDD instead of a SSD, but you could always buy a SSD and add it in. You could also add a video card like a GTX 1030 if you wanted to game in the future. Would give you medium-low settings at 1080P.

Been custom building PC's since I was 14, so feel free to ask any questions. Normally if gaming is not a concern, a prebuild system (and a refurbished one at that) is much cheaper.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Definitely going to be fine for a non-gaming build. As Wrath said, don't forget about the OS. Get a 1 TB Caviar Blue mechanical drive as well. They're cheap and reliable and you will need the storage. Ryzen benefits from faster RAM so if you can go for something higher than the 2133 speed, do it. Use at least 2400 but go higher if your budget allows. Keep in mind you can overclock the RAM to a higher speed as well. I have a Ryzen 1300X and its running strong with a slight OC on the RAM. The stock processor cooler is more than enough for what you will be using your pc for

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I don't think it's overkill - especially if you plan on keeping the system for awhile. The "G" Rysen's supposedly have a decent GPU, so I wouldn't worry too much about a video card.

Check that the board already has the bios flashed for a 2nd gen Ryzen. Older boards may require the flash, and you won't be able to do it unless you already have a 1st gen to temporarily install to do the flash.

Are you using wifi? Think about a board with built in wifi for a cleaner install. Especially if you don't already have a USB adapter that you'll be using.

Yes - budget for a Windows license, unless you plan on going down the Linux road. An OEM disk will save you a few bucks.

Personally, I'm partial to a Mini-ITX board and a small tidy case, if there's no plans for loading up the board with cards.

Last edited:

ClintMcKay

Banned
I have been using custom built PC since 2016, its great to have one. Specially if you dont want to use it for gaming its far more efficient. good plan, carry on.