GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building a High Fidelity Sound System Build (Attempt)

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I'm putting this together to help others who are looking to upgrade their sound systems to the next level(s). Below is a list of components I'm using, as well as sources of information I'm referencing in my pursuit of abolishing an OK sound system to a sound system that's nothing short of amazing. The hardware (speakers, amps, dsp) I'm using are good. However this is nothing short of subjective. I'm not inferring you purchase these particular brands. You can make any speaker sound amazing or using an amp built by a reputable company to power them. Over the years learned what makes a system sound amazing is the speaker Location and INSTALL. More on that later... but to start:

Module
Purpose
Audible Physics NZ3Mid/High (~200hz - 20khzA-PillarHERE
Audiofrog GB60Mid bass (80hz-200hz)Kick PanelsHERE
Arc Audio PS8Digital Signal ProcessorTrunkHERE
Arc Audio Amplifier (Series Class D) 1000.44 Chan amplifier powering the mid/high and midwooferTrunkHERE
Arc Audio Amplifier (X2 Class D) 1100.1Subwoofer amplifierTRUNKHERE
Room EQ WizardTuning SoftwarePC SoftwareHERE
AudioFrog Tuning GuideA How-To on how to tune proper sound systemHERE
AudioFrog UMI-1Tuning MicrophoneHERE
Stock Fender HeadunitThe Fender unit looks to put out clean sound and unclipped. I'll double check if that's the case with the discover media where I'm tapping for the Left/Right signals. Check out the link to see how this is done. I'm so glad someone found the solution!HERE
Speaker Install, Tuning, Etc. (MAJOR INFLUENCE)If you're interested in install, want to get ideas, tuning questions, etc check out the URL. The YouTube author is named "Pssound". His install approach is highly methodical and highly effective IMO. He's also involved in SQ competitions over in Europe. His explanations are very thorough and methods are unique and high effective.HERE

Took some rough estimates of the volume I can achieve in the kicks. To start here's a photo of the insultation. Glad to know VW is paying attention to road noise! It's about an inch and a quarter thick in some places. Foam + Styrofoam + Foam makes for a quieter car. This is the passenger side kick panel area.

image2 (2).jpeg

I purchased some packing peanuts, stuck it in a 1' x 1' x 1' box, took half of that, and halved that and ended up with .25 cubic feet. Owner of AudioFrog says I should be good with .2^3 foot, and should play down to 80hz. My goal is to stick the speakers in an ideal position. This will get rid of all the rattles that a door is accustomed to as well. Huge plus for the speakers being closer on axis.
image0 (1).jpeg

A-Pillar Pods: I'll have to cut the a-pillar in half and reupholster it. Should look fine. Also shouldn't impede the airbags. More on that as I move forward with the build.
image2.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpg

Here's the plywood backplate to be mounted to the a-pillar. Try to minimize my usage of fiberglass / resin in the process.
image3.jpeg

This one will be a tight fit. I might have to use fiberglass keep the tolerances as tight as possibe.
image3 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
This should be sweet, excited to see the build.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
That's a pretty intense component list. What is the source going to be? How are you getting it to the DSP?

Super interested to see what you do with the A pillars.

Here's my build. It's similar but smaller scale I'd say.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-audio-overhaul-2-1-active-system.375304/

I assume you've been doing this for a while, do you have any old build threads?

Thanks! The source will be the stock headunit. I took the amp'd signal from the back of the Discover Media Pro in the glove box. Link to how it's done is in the table... Prior, in my MK6 GLI Jetta w/ a Fender system, I tapped into the amp underneath driver seat. Bad idea. There were so many more damn wires which I then had to sum the signal. However, the signal was clean and would not clip! Great source.

I've dabbled in car stereo a few times. Building kick panels, reinforcing doors for midbass, tuning... this time around I have more time due to the covid situation. This time around I can time my time.

Last edited:

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Here's some photos of the NZ3 wideband speakers. I stumbled upon these drivers from a youtube author "PSsound." He's been an influence on me to stray away from a 3-way system to a 2-way with these widebands and midbass in the kicks. It really made a lot of sense to me. I'll link his videos on my initial post.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I'm putting this together to help others who are looking to upgrade their sound systems to the next level(s). Below is a list of components I'm using, as well as sources of information I'm referencing in my pursuit of abolishing an OK sound system to a sound system that's nothing short of amazing. The hardware (speakers, amps, dsp) I'm using are good. However this is nothing short of subjective. I'm not inferring you purchase these particular brands. You can make any speaker sound amazing using an amp built by a reputable company. Over the years learned what makes a system sound amazing is the speaker Location and INSTALL. More on that later... but to start:

Module
Purpose
Audible Physics NZ3Mid/High (~200hz - 20khzA-PillarHERE
Audiofrog GB60Mid bass (80hz-200hz)Kick PanelsHERE
Arc Audio PS8Digital Signal ProcessorTrunkHERE
Arc Audio Amplifier (Series Class D) 1000.44 Chan amplifier powering the mid/high and midwooferTrunkHERE
Arc Audio Amplifier (X2 Class D) 1100.1Subwoofer amplifierTRUNKHERE
Room EQ WizardTuning SoftwarePC SoftwareHERE
AudioFrog Tuning GuideA How-To on how to tune proper sound systemHERE
AudioFrog UMI-1Tuning MicrophoneHERE
Stock Fender HeadunitThe Fender unit looks to put out clean sound and unclipped. I'll double check if that's the case with the discover media where I'm tapping for the Left/Right signals. Check out the link to see how this is done. I'm so glad someone found the solution!HERE

Took some rough estimates of the volume I can achieve in the kicks. To start here's a photo of the insultation. Glad to know VW is paying attention to road noise! It's about an inch and a quarter thick in some places. Foam + Styrofoam + Foam makes for a quieter car. This is the passenger side kick panel area.

View attachment 196658

I purchased some packing peanuts, stuck it in a 1' x 1' x 1' box, took half of that, and halved that and ended up with .25 cubic feet. Owner of AudioFrog says I should be good with .2^3 foot, and should play down to 80hz. My goal is to stick the speakers in an ideal position. This will get rid of all the rattles that a door is accustomed to as well. Huge plus for the speakers being closer on axis.
View attachment 196659

A-Pillar Pods: I'll have to cut the a-pillar in half and reupholster it. Should look fine. Also shouldn't impede the airbags. More on that as I move forward with the build.
View attachment 196660

View attachment 196661

Here's the plywood backplate to be mounted to the a-pillar. Try to minimize my usage of fiberglass / resin in the process.
View attachment 196662

This one will be a tight fit. I might have to use fiberglass keep the tolerances as tight as possibe.
View attachment 196664
This is going to be sweet 😍

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I don't see a subwoofer listed. Is the jury still out on that?

I've decided to run a 10" Audiofrog or JL W6 10" firing sideways in the rear hatch. This was mainly for space savings so my options were limited. My amps/process are under the floorboard so that was out the question.

Jshinz24: This is going to be sweet 😍

Thanks! I'll update the first post with progress. Hope this helps!

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I've decided to run a 10" Audiofrog or JL W6 10" firing sideways in the rear hatch. This was mainly for space savings so my options were limited. My amps/process are under the floorboard so that was out the question.

Thanks! I'll update the first post with progress. Hope this helps!
I grew up with a son/father combo who loved to install car audio equipment and build it as well. Car audio will always have a spot on my hobby wall lol I know quite a few peeps on here don’t like the Fender setup, but it is leaps and bounds better than what used to come in cars lol I’m happy for the time being but I know I will be tinkering with it soon enough. Thanks for doing this write up!

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I grew up with a son/father combo who loved to install car audio equipment and build it as well. Car audio will always have a spot on my hobby wall lol I know quite a few peeps on here don’t like the Fender setup, but it is leaps and bounds better than what used to come in cars lol I’m happy for the time being but I know I will be tinkering with it soon enough. Thanks for doing this write up!

I'm really impressed with the Fender Unit honestly. You're right. A lot of other cars were deplorable. I was actually watching THIS video and was thinking to myself that I wish I had a great sound system. Well... the rest is history. Hope that helps push you to greater things ;)

More fun with tweeter mounting. I could either go fiberglass (ugh... resin... ugh fiberglass!) or stick with wood... and a mixture thereof. There really isn't anything I couldn't achieve with wood that I can with fiberglass. So maybe fiberglass isn't the answer.

image0 (3).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

After finding an ideal aiming location, I made a base wooden plate and started building up the wooden "box". Looked a bit bulky which is ok. It's supposed to be functional. Though I'd lose a bit of vision through the window.
image4.jpeg

Ok well I said I didn't want to use fiberglass + resin, but i could also design a better pod. One that would take less window real estate.
image0 (4).jpeg

AND I could keep around the recommended volume of 0.5 liters. Let the glassing begin!

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I'm really impressed with the Fender Unit honestly. You're right. A lot of other cars were deplorable. I was actually watching THIS video and was thinking to myself that I wish I had a great sound system. Well... the rest is history. Hope that helps push you to greater things ;)

More fun with tweeter mounting. I could either go fiberglass (ugh... resin... ugh fiberglass!) or stick with wood... and a mixture thereof. There really isn't anything I couldn't achieve with wood that I can with fiberglass. So maybe fiberglass isn't the answer.

View attachment 196804
View attachment 196805
I think fiberglass or a mixture would look best, given the interior of the GTI in general. However, working with fiberglass? I’m good lol!

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Fiberglass-ing takes 70-80% prep. The fit is tight as I wanted it. Tip is to leave it curing for 2.5 hours before pulling out the mold. Also use polyester / silcone coated tape over masking tape to save yourself from ruining the mold. I plan to add a few more layers of woven fiberglass for strength, mount the ring, and pull fabric over that, bondo, sand, and fill insides with resin + sand (play sand) for added density and weight. I'll have to keep in mind the volume for these speakers. Anywho, I'll get the other side made tomorrow. If you have any questions on how to fiberglass decently I'm happy to help.

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

Last edited:

tshrey

Ready to race!
You're running a $900 amp on your front soundstage and using the stock speaker-level outputs as a source? If you are dropping this much coin on your components you should get the Zen V to grab a clean preamp level source.

I don't want to drop a lot on a system and already have some mid-grade stuff, always assumed the speaker outputs were crossed over by the amp. You haven't found that to be the case?

tshrey

Ready to race!
I didn't read the link you included about the wiring on the back of the head unit. That is interesting. But it is still speaker-level. I noticed in that thread one of the VCDS configurations is to put out line-level (but not MOST). I would be interested in that; is it just the same pins in the back without the head unit amplification?