GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building a High Fidelity Sound System Build (Attempt)

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What is your plan for the pillar trim? Mount the pods right to the pillar and then make the trim fit around them? Looks like you already cut the trim too short to make it an easy change :) If you bond the pod to the trim you have to have enough room for the trim to pivot if the airbag goes off.
great point!

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Parts Express has lots of options. I use these for my home stuff, but any of them should be fine.
Just got some Dayton speaker terminals. Thanks for the reference!

What is your plan for the pillar trim? Mount the pods right to the pillar and then make the trim fit around them? Looks like you already cut the trim too short to make it an easy change :) If you bond the pod to the trim you have to have enough room for the trim to pivot if the airbag goes off.

Yeah a lil' short at the moment. I'll have to re-bond the lower half of the a-pillar and create a sort of opening for the pod. That is a good option too (bonding the trim). Though, the area where I cut seperates the airbags from the pod itself, so they'll never interact if they ever set off.

That is fair, just another option though. Maybe he decides to procure that sub and build his own. personally, I'd say build it into the inside of the rear seatback.

I'll opt to build my own box. I did purchase a pre shaped box for 200$... well.. it was that price for a reason. Here's a screen shot of PSSound's approach. I'll follow in the same suit and build a sort puzzle pieced speaker box. I think it's really creative. You'll have a great bond of material, a custom fit, but also dense material to dampen the speaker.

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Welp I started working on my kicks again (just the passenger one. Luckily I can stuff 0.25 cubic feet of volume behind the speaker which, according to Andy W. of Audio Frog, is ample. Building it with a little bit thicker ply wood @ 1/2".

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
This deserves a reply on it's own. Here's PSSound's video of himself building A-pillars from start to finish. He has other great videos to peruse through. He dumps a lot of his thoughts which I found very helpful.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I did a fiberglass cylinder box filling the spare tire attached to a sheet of mdf as a false floor firing up. Saved most space for me. Had about 7 inches of depth and 1.8 cubic feet. No loss of trunk space. Consider buying a portable hi red res player and run optical to your dsp. Oem deck aint flat.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
^ Thanks! I'll have to see what sound I end up with once the enclosures are made and the system is ready to tune.

More progress on kick panels. Luckily the passenger side has a bit of room to build out the enclosure and hold some decent volume (currently shooting for 0.25^3 feet. Looks pretty aweful when you see it face value. But fortunately there's sanding and bondo. :)

IMG_3800.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Its a gti shouldnt we be LOSING weight?? Lol

Awesome work OP

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Its a gti shouldnt we be LOSING weight?? Lol

Awesome work OP

Thank you! Well the speakers/amps aren't too heavy. I haven't gone as far as dampening all the panels, but the weight is very minimal.

More sanding and bondoing. Inserted terminals into the driver side pod. It's getting there! A few more critical steps and I think i'm good to put some tunes through the system.

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Driver side is wired up. Bit of tweaks to be made to get the threaded insert nuts in there properly. Also, to my luck, I can get about 7 liters or 2.5^3 foot of volume on the driver side for a midbass driver.

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Did some carpet cutting with the trust multi tool. The dead pedal will no longer be there. Hoping to get about .25^3 foot of volume whilst tucking the woofer up a bit high to get some foot room. No bad. You could set stuff that space easy in a dsg.

A8367184-5E74-4ED1-BABD-37C99539CC94.jpeg

CDF3EDE3-3CD4-4064-A188-1D954CF0DE6F.jpeg

65977E0B-3A96-4C59-B4F7-6A0C91AB6E0D.jpeg

Attachments

• B27EF919-8521-4F1D-939C-CA10FC2D33AE.jpeg
    B27EF919-8521-4F1D-939C-CA10FC2D33AE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Finished the backing plate today. 4 layers of weaved fiberglass and this time I added BBs. Looks like poo. But it's functional. I also had a chance to listen to my system with the 2 pods up top and the single kick. Simply amazing. The 2 way setup, without tune, sounds detailed and simply amazing. I'm very happy so far. I'd totally recommend running a wideband speaker up on the dash. Even with midbass in the doors, it'll sound 10x better than the current system could ever sound.

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg