GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buffering sunroof

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Hey I’m just throwing this question out there but has anyone with a sunroof on their gti experience buffeting when going above 30mph? I know it comes with a mesh to prevent that but idk if mines normal.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I usually keep other widnows down or cracked, yes the mesh thing helps a ton though. Think jts bad, just pull it down while going 60 #ripheadphones

MissedShifting

Passed Driver's Ed
I was kind of shocked by how bad the sunroof and wind noise is in the GTI. In my 2005 Mercedes C-Class I could have the roof open and all the windows down at 70mph and hold a conversation without raising my voice.

cb1111

It is called Helmholtz resonance. The more aerodynamic the car, the louder and more obnoxious the noise.

In layman's terms, the air enters the car, has no place to go and bounces around. As soon as you open a window, the air can escape and less noise.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
4-Door cars are the worst. Open the front two windows and go insane. Open the rear two windows and go insane. Only thing that ever seems to work is all 4 windows open or some ridiculous arrangement of openness for all of them. I bit the bullet and got the WeatherTech window deflectors which I hate but I like the lack of buffeting more though it's still noticeable.

Why they can't design with this in mind is beyond me. I want every CEO of every car company to take a ride in their car with me and see how long they last. Open invitation Herbert Diess!

This happens in the Golf R, the Honda Accord, the Volvo V70R and every other 4-door car we've owned. For me, I drive with all 4 windows down all the time so it's not that big a deal but, when my wife is in the car and wants her window closed, I have to close them all.

Happened with the moonroof in the '89 Mustang too but only when it was removed. When it was just popped up it was OK. But clearly they did no real-world testing with the moonroof off the car before they sold it otherwise they would have fixed it.