GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bucket list of tracks to drive in YOUR car

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
What is on your list of tracks you want to drive on that you can drive to in YOUR car? (Note that leaves out tracks like the Nordschleife or Spa-Francorchamps for us North Americans)

Mine are, in no particular order:
  • COTA
  • Watkins Glen
  • VIR
  • Mid-Ohio
  • Lime Rock
  • Barber Motorsports Park
  • Road Atlanta
  • Road America

I am leaving PNW tracks off my list as I am familiarizing myself with those tracks as part of a planned move up north when I retire in 4 years.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
US: VIR, Mid Ohio, road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, Laguna seca.

Yes you can in fact DRIVE to your favorite European tracks so I'll include those as well. Nurburg, spa, anglesey, zandvordt. Would be more but not for the R to drive at.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
In the US:
Watkins Glen
Lime Rock
Barber Motorsports Park
Road Atlanta
Daytona
Laguna Seca

Brands Hatch for Paddock Hill Bend
Donnington for the Craner Curves
Kyalami
Goodwood
Spa

Road Atlanta
Daytona
Sebring
Laguna Seca
Sears Point

I'm not really too familiar with European and Asian tracks, so I don't have any connection to them.

I grew up with both parents road racing at Riverside, Sears, Laguna, Willow Springs, Holtsville, and Portland, but I have such good memories from Sears and Laguna.

My parents were friends with Bob Bondurant and he let me use the schools paddock, which was at Sears Point at the time, that overlooked turn 11. I was shooting pics and Paul Newman got squirrelly coming out of ten, did a tank slapper trying to save it, and spun between 10 and 11 while leading. I got a picture from above 11 with him facing the entire field speeding towards him. Used it for an assignment in HS photo class and the teacher didn't believe I took the pics. WTF, dude, you think I stole someone's role of film?

He was a great driver and genuinely nice person. We pitted together with a couple other Alfa drivers at every race, and at one particular race Newman's team was next to our group. One of the GTV's blew an engine, and I remember Newman and one of his guys spending half the night helping them get a backup engine in the car.

It's more the personal stuff that draws me to a track. Going to the Mitty with my dad, my son having his first beer and hitting on a pair of cougars around a camp fire at the Rolex. Being drunk for 3 days straight with buddies at Sebring.

My old man is 78 and still does 4 or 5 track days a year out in California. I hope I'm still going that strong at his age.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Road Atlanta
Daytona
Sebring
Laguna Seca
Sears Point

I'm not really too familiar with European and Asian tracks, so I don't have any connection to them.

I grew up with both parents road racing at Riverside, Sears, Laguna, Willow Springs, Holtsville, and Portland, but I have such good memories from Sears and Laguna.

My parents were friends with Bob Bondurant and he let me use the schools paddock, which was at Sears Point at the time, that overlooked turn 11. I was shooting pics and Paul Newman got squirrelly coming out of ten, did a tank slapper trying to save it, and spun between 10 and 11 while leading. I got a picture from above 11 with him facing the entire field speeding towards him. Used it for an assignment in HS photo class and the teacher didn't believe I took the pics. WTF, dude, you think I stole someone's role of film?

He was a great driver and genuinely nice person. We pitted together with a couple other Alfa drivers at every race, and at one particular race Newman's team was next to our group. One of the GTV's blew an engine, and I remember Newman and one of his guys spending half the night helping them get a backup engine in the car.

It's more the personal stuff that draws me to a track. Going to the Mitty with my dad, my son having his first beer and hitting on a pair of cougars around a camp fire at the Rolex. Being drunk for 3 days straight with buddies at Sebring.

My old man is 78 and still does 4 or 5 track days a year out in California. I hope I'm still going that strong at his age.

This is the kind of stuff I go to the track for.

One of the reasons why I enjoy following/spectating amateur and historic racing. It’s about making memories with friends and making new ones.

Props to you and your family. Keep the tradition going.

***Edit - I enjoy watching Historic/Amateur Racing. DE’s are my thing.

Last edited:
This is the kind of stuff I go to the track for.

One of the reasons why I enjoy amateur and historic racing. It’s about making memories with friends and making new ones.

Props to you and your family. Keep the tradition going.
Yep. I'm never going to race professionally or even be all that fast.

As long as I can find a couple of cars to run with at track days and always chase the aliens autocrossweekends, , occasionally getting within a second, I'll be happy hanging out with friends. Might look to do some vintage racing if I can find a decently prepped B or something cheap to run like that.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Good question. My bucket list is pretty much down to two, Laguna and COTA, with Laguna being a big #1.

There are a bunch of others I'd like to try, and just may if time/Karma/$$ allow; like Mid Ohio and Sebring, maybe Tremblant as well, but my bucket list will be just fine if I can eventually add Laguna & COTA.

I'm very lucky to have hit all my favorites on the east from GA north to NH.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Road Atlanta
Daytona
Sebring
Laguna Seca
Sears Point

Great story, and I hope I can follow in your dad's footsteps, still tracking at 78...not THAT far away for me ;>)

Great story, and I hope I can follow in your dad's footsteps, still tracking at 78...not THAT far away for me ;>)
Me too, on both counts.

He's run a Mazda 2 for the last 5 years, but is looking to get something a little faster. I tried to sell him my track prepped 15 Club Miata, but he couldn't make up his mind. Now it's a 2.5l turbo track beast after an engine swap by the new owner in the midwest.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I know a 76 year old dude that still runs like 8-12 events a year. He's a fast driver but man it's scary to imagine him driving like that if you watch him struggle to get in and out of those buckets.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Been going to VIR and Summit Point since 2011 so won't list them, but on the continent, my top 4 would be these in no particular order:

Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Sonoma
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park

::::

I'm going to cheat by adding my off-the-continent top 4 - probably in this order:

MONACO (not a track but you know what i mean ;))
Nordschleife
Spa
Monza

Last edited:

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
Within reasonable distance:

Area 27
Thunderhill
Laguna Seca
Sonoma
VIMC

Unreasonable distance:
Red Bull Ring
Interlagos
Barcelona-Catalunya
Spa

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wife and I want to make a vacation of doing the Ring. I enjoy traveling as much as driving, so it would be a great trip. I'll have to hop on iracing and turn million laps before I go.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Within reasonable distance:

Area 27
Thunderhill
Laguna Seca
Sonoma
VIMC

Unreasonable distance:
Red Bull Ring
Interlagos
Barcelona-Catalunya
Spa

The NW Audi Club chapter sent out a feeler recently about doing Area 27 in the summer of 2020. Potential participants have to be signed off for solo by the club to be eligible.