GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken Transmission locking pin

javier14427

Car(s)
GTI
I broke my locking pin while installing a short shifter. Was my mistake but I was still able to install the shifter. Now I am wondering how hard it is to replace that pin. I searched the forum but could not find clear instructions on how to replace. Some say that you need to open up the transmission and others that you can just remove the gear selector tower. Does anyone have any experience?

Also my transmission is coming out in a approx. a week for a clutch replacement and was thinking maybe the shop could knock it out if it is an easy job.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I broke my locking pin while installing a short shifter. Was my mistake but I was still able to install the shifter. Now I am wondering how hard it is to replace that pin. I searched the forum but could not find clear instructions on how to replace. Some say that you need to open up the transmission and others that you can just remove the gear selector tower. Does anyone have any experience?

Also my transmission is coming out in a approx. a week for a clutch replacement and was thinking maybe the shop could knock it out if it is an easy job.
Yeah i just replaced my pin about 2 weeks ago when you’re ready to remove it you just pull the old one straight out, then you will be left with the circular plastic body with a little whole in the center you can put a coaster thread bolt in there and yank it out or just stick a screw drive in the whole and break the plastic piece that you are about to replace anyways. Then you just stick the New one in there at it locks in with tension due to its tapered design.

It’s about 20-30 bucks from the dealer.

Something to keep in mind the pin it’s actually plastic coated metal, so now that broken piece is in your transmission ... I had to take min apart to get it out, and I was inspecting my shifter forks at the time otherwise I’d say don't bother cause honesty is was stuck to the magnet and would have remained stuck with little to no change of ever getting caught in the gears if you ask me.

2539B8CD-BCA6-423A-81F6-3FC118057E9F.jpegD9BA6147-38F3-420C-9A71-799C0021E496.jpeg

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I busted mine too. My only real mistake at the end of the clutch replacement + rms project last april. I've got the dg ss, and was relieved to find he has a vid on exactly this problem.

Unless I need to replace the clutch again, it's staying like that forever.

javier14427

Car(s)
GTI
Hey guys,

I appreciate the help. Seems like an easy enough fix. I have ordered the part and hopefully I can get it before the transmission comes out so that it isn't a pain in the ass to readjust the shifter. I think I am just going to leave the broken piece inside alone like you discussed. I do not want to open it and then move or break something inside the transmission. End up creating more damage you know.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I watched a diesel geek video when doing an alignment and how to adjust if you broke your pin. This made me think its pretty easy to break it so i spent extra care when dealing with it. That said, im glad @El_bigote_AJ has went through it and posted some help for future victims.

13Vex

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI S M/T
Yeah i just replaced my pin about 2 weeks ago when you’re ready to remove it you just pull the old one straight out, then you will be left with the circular plastic body with a little whole in the center you can put a coaster thread bolt in there and yank it out or just stick a screw drive in the whole and break the plastic piece that you are about to replace anyways. Then you just stick the New one in there at it locks in with tension due to its tapered design.

It’s about 20-30 bucks from the dealer.

Something to keep in mind the pin it’s actually plastic coated metal, so now that broken piece is in your transmission ... I had to take min apart to get it out, and I was inspecting my shifter forks at the time otherwise I’d say don't bother cause honesty is was stuck to the magnet and would have remained stuck with little to no change of ever getting caught in the gears if you ask me.

View attachment 201698View attachment 201699
Regarding “stick the new one in there” how did you go about doing that? The ridge that holds the pins housing in requires quite a bit of force to overcome to get the housing to seat fully.

Update: If you’re doing this job while the transmission is in the car, you need to take the front drivers wheel off and fender liner. Once you do that, you have a straight shot to the pin and it’s home hole. Just tap it in with a long punch (flat tip as to not carve into the plastic) and hammer. Super easy, do not bother trying to do this from the top under the hood.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Regarding “stick the new one in there” how did you go about doing that? The ridge that holds the pins housing in requires quite a bit of force to overcome to get the housing to seat fully.
Yeah, sorry for the delayed response - when I put mine in it was on the bench/table so I was able to get is on with a giant channel lock to pressure it in.