GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken iPhone 4s glass

langer

i fix teefs
Anyone destroy the front glass on their iPhone 4s? Apple wanted $199 to replace the phone. Probably not a bad deal considering it's a whole new phone. But, I really don't feel like forking over that much cash considering my wife is due in 2 weeks. Anyone DIY? Looks doable, but a bit tedious with all the screws and connections.

knowles

Passed Driver's Ed
Dont have an iphone but you can buy new glass of ebay for under twenty bucks and i believe you just undo the two screws on the bottom , slide the sides.off , replace the glass and slide the sides back on

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

VWTiger

I am the Stig
look for a replacement kit online. I got one on Amazon 2 years ago for my iPod touch screen when I dropped it 10 ft onto concrete. whoops. :yikes:

It was roughly $25 shipped. It wasn't the best DIY job, but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than going to Apple. Screen wasn't perfectly flush as brand new but it functioned.

langer

i fix teefs
Dont have an iphone but you can buy new glass of ebay for under twenty bucks and i believe you just undo the two screws on the bottom , slide the sides.off , replace the glass and slide the sides back on

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

4S is much more complicated than that unfortunately. You basically have to gut the phone to access the screws that hold the LCD/glass to the frame. Glass and LCD are one piece and run around 79-99. The thing is that most places only charge 30 bones or so to do it for you, which is a great bargain seeing as how complicated it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74uQdl7V6M

I'll probably be dropping it off at a local shop to have them do it. Nothing would suck more than getting it reassembled myself and it won't power up.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Ive done this to 2 iPhone 4's and an iPhone 4S. It isn't really too difficult. I bought my screen (I went with red front and back actually) from here

First time it took me ~ an hour to step through it, now I can do it in like 20 minutes. All of the screws are different lengths so the hardest part is keeping them separate (I made a cup for each one & labeled it). You can even send it to that company & they'll do it for free...

langer

i fix teefs
Ive done this to 2 iPhone 4's and an iPhone 4S. It isn't really too difficult. I bought my screen (I went with red front and back actually) from here

First time it took me ~ an hour to step through it, now I can do it in like 20 minutes. All of the screws are different lengths so the hardest part is keeping them separate (I made a cup for each one & labeled it). You can even send it to that company & they'll do it for free...

Are they actual OEM screens? Seems so much cheaper than others I've found. I think you convinced me to tackle it myself, especially if I'm only paying 55 ducats for the screen.
Thanks for the link!

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Car(s)
2008 GTI

This... It is actually very easy, it takes about an hour doing it the first time and taking your time, I just put the screws on different post it notes and didn't label. It is easy to figure out which screw goes back where.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Are they actual OEM screens? Seems so much cheaper than others I've found. I think you convinced me to tackle it myself, especially if I'm only paying 55 ducats for the screen.
Thanks for the link!

They arn't OEM screens, but I did a side by side with a "stock" iPhone and no one could tell a difference. If you end up doing it yourself, my only word of advice is be careful putting the new screen on, make sure the ribbon cables don't get stuck on the sticky residue from the old screen. I had a cable get stuck and I tried pulling it & it ripped...

langer

i fix teefs
They arn't OEM screens, but I did a side by side with a "stock" iPhone and no one could tell a difference. If you end up doing it yourself, my only word of advice is be careful putting the new screen on, make sure the ribbon cables don't get stuck on the sticky residue from the old screen. I had a cable get stuck and I tried pulling it & it ripped...
Just talked to a local store that repairs them. Sounds like no one really uses OEM screens for repair except Apple.
Ordered the screen repair kit, including the screwdrivers and pry tool.

colejm

Ready to race!
Just to let you know if you ever have any other issues with your iphone apple is going to blame the non apple display for it.

langer

i fix teefs
Just to let you know if you ever have any other issues with your iphone apple is going to blame the non apple display for it.

Hmmmm. Reminds me of vw. Yeah, I know that going in. Risk I'm willing to take to save 150 dollars.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Just talked to a local store that repairs them. Sounds like no one really uses OEM screens for repair except Apple.
Ordered the screen repair kit, including the screwdrivers and pry tool.

:thumbsup: If you run into troubles, feel free to PM me but I bet you'll get it...

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
i've got friends who broke the back screens and was able to replace them with an oem glass from an outer dealer for a hell of a lot cheaper. they said its so easy to replace. but i heard replacing the front screen was a major pita..

colejm

Ready to race!
Hmmmm. Reminds me of vw. Yeah, I know that going in. Risk I'm willing to take to save 150 dollars.

You wont even save that much, if you go back into apple with your new screen they will charge you $700 for a new phone. 200 is the swap price.

Not saying don't do it, just making sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Last edited: