GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Hello all. I have been following this forum for years, and decided to finally join tonight. This is post numero uno for me.

I have always admired the GTI for its blend of sport, luxury, and practicality. I remember watching as the MK6 was revealed, and remember lusting after one for most of my college years. I graduated last December with an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering from UW Madison and a new "real-life" job.

I have been interested in getting into a GTI for the past year (I have been driving a 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT for 12 months..), but I also told myself that my next car would be something different. I didn't want to go drop $25K+ on a car, and I am not a guy that finances vehicles. I wanted an MK6 GTI, and I wanted a good deal. The car I wanted would be CSG, with a DSG, 4 doors, and include Dynaudio, Leather, and Xenon's. I could care less about Nav or sunroof, but with how VW has bucketed the options, it looked like I would be forced into an autobahn package if I wanted anything other than a 2010.

I have always liked the idea of a salvage vehicle. The risk involved is high (and is what scares most away), but I like fixing things, and getting a good deal. The missing warranty is scary, but not as scary as missing a warranty and not being able to do your own work. I thought that what ever car I got next, it would be a salvage vehicle.

Well last Thursday I found this, and by golly I bought it. It's a 2012 GTI in CSG, with 4 doors and a DSG. It has all of the options I wanted (plus KESSY, sick!), and it only has 5300 miles (pulled a vin check, it was salvaged at 5300 in Virginia). When all is said and done, I hope to be into it ~$15k, not including any money I get from selling the 'tek.

It gets delivered tomorrow night, all the way to Monticello, MN from Hurricane, WV. I am excited to get working on it! I will use this thread as a timeline of bringing the car back to life, and a subsequent build log. Thanks to you all for creating such a great place to talk GTI's. This forum was one of the reasons I wanted a GTI (insane enthusiast community), and I look forward to learning from you all in the future.

Now for the pics (as salvaged, from the autobidmaster website):

It obviously doesn't run now. I will change that soon.

Things that I can already tell from the pics that need to be done:
1. Air Bag - Driver
2. Battery, Battery mount, etc
3. Engine Compartment Fuse Box, etc
4. Xenon Headlight - Driver
5. Side Marker - Driver
6. Intake Snorkel (probably will just throw a CAI on)

Looks like all of the body work is done already. This makes me hope that any radiator/IC/core damage/frame damage is already repaired. I guess I will find out tomorrow night. I am rolling the dice!

Stay tuned, more to come!

Last edited:

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
lawl. whats with the mismatched headlights? can they not sell a car with broken ones or something?

808bahn

Ready to race!
I commend you for taking this route. It takes confidence, guts, and a little leap of faith to go down this road. Best wishes and looking forward to your rebuild.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Good luck with the rebuild. They are fun to do.

If you decide against an intake, hit me up, I have a complete stock intake, and I'm local.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
good luck hopefully you dont uncover to many more issues (espically engine related) or you may be in well over 15K all said and done...the paper work and safety inspections a vehcile goes through to become road worthy is what scares me away as I have took on this type of project before and to be honest it was not worth it in my case

def. want to follow this along..

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
good luck hopefully you dont uncover to many more issues (espically engine related) or you may be in well over 15K all said and done...the paper work and safety inspections a vehcile goes through to become road worthy is what scares me away as I have took on this type of project before and to be honest it was not worth it in my case

def. want to follow this along..

Thanks guys. Minnesota is pretty good about getting a car like this back on the road - now if I had to take a rear end from a different car, or swap a roof, that would be a different sorry.

I am excited to get the car here tonight, but I am equally excited to see a giant car hauler pull into my neighborhood. Pictures will be taken.

Sent via tapatalk

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Yeah good luck can't wait to follow and see what happens!