GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brief cloud of white smoke

AnEvilBigfoot

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
So I have a fbo is38 gti; today I was merging onto the highway and accelerated and heard a clunk that almost sounded like if you drive over a rock and it bounces in the wheel well and falls out the back, and following that I saw a cloud of white/brown smoke behind me but it was just a short burst and everything seemed fine after for a while with full boost and everything. I went to the store and then on my way home I noticed the car’s ‘boost gauge’ reading a max of like 26-27psi. It also idles at a slightly lower rpm now. I also scanned it with OBDeleven and the only code that showed up was for ‘lost communication with TCM’, no CEL or anything and when I cleared that and drove it and scanned it again it wasn’t there anymore.

My first guess would be a blown turbo; but that seems really quick seeing how I just had it replaced mid September. It’s the stock golf r IHI is38 from FCPeuro so fortunately if that’s what it is then it’s covered.

But I just wanted to get some other input in case there’s anything else that it could possibly be other than the turbo. If it is the turbo then is it common for them to fail often like this? I’m curious because the first turbo I got from FCPeuro to replace the stock one was bad when I got it as well

thanks in advance for any help!

AnEvilBigfoot

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
From what I understand the car boost gauge no longer reads boost correctly when tuned, yes? Or did yours read higher before the incident? Does it pull differently now?
It never reads correctly tuned or not I don’t think. So from what I understand the cars gauge doesn’t read the actual boost as it doesn’t take into account atmospheric pressure, and need to subtract 14.7 to get actual boost. Not 100% sure but that’s what I’ve gathered.
So it was reading around 36-38 and drove fine and everything before, now it’ll barely break 30 but it’s very inconsistent. It’ll hit 31 sometimes but most times it’ll only hit 26 on the gauge

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
White smoke is usually fuel or coolant. If you're reading lower boost, I'd say your turbo seals are going.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Doesn't sound like a blown turbo since you've floored it after that happened and you only saw the smoke once. If the power is down I would agree with Diggs24 that it's probably a boost leak.

AnEvilBigfoot

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Doesn't sound like a blown turbo since you've floored it after that happened and you only saw the smoke once. If the power is down I would agree with Diggs24 that it's probably a boost leak.
Certainly better than a blown turbo if it’s that, especially since I just got a new one 2 months ago lol is there any way to test that other than a smoke test? I don’t have one readily available and won’t until hopefully next week maybe

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Certainly better than a blown turbo if it’s that, especially since I just got a new one 2 months ago lol is there any way to test that other than a smoke test? I don’t have one readily available and won’t until hopefully next week maybe

How is it running now? Still seeing smoke?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I only ever saw smoke on that first acceleration and it was a cloud of white with a hint of brown. No smoke after that. It’s still running kind of rough, as in the boost feels like it comes and goes, and it generally feels pretty laggy

Did you check for a boost leak? Hoses etc. The turbo sounds like it's okay since no more smoke.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No not yet, I don’t have access to anything for a smoke test and haven’t been able to get into a shop yet unfortunately. Is there a way I can check it without a smoke test?

Just check all the hose connections.