GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break up under hard left turns, fuel starvation?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I thought everyone liked the Rothium or something like that plus now?
Ruthenium? Yeah, they're another NSK variant. But I also find most people have no idea what they're doing with spark plugs. Truth be told I'd probably still be fine on OEM plugs too, they're pretty solid, just need to replace them more often with a tune.

The same people often swear by R8 coil packs, which testing has shown are identical in output to OEM ones.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ruthenium? Yeah, they're another NSK variant. But I also find most people have no idea what they're doing with spark plugs. Truth be told I'd probably still be fine on OEM plugs too, they're pretty solid, just need to replace them more often with a tune.

The same people often swear by RS8 coil packs, which testing has shown are identical in output to OEM ones.
But, but they say RS, so MOAR POWA. Lol.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I’ve run OEM plugs at standard gap for 46k miles and had no misfiring issues. Changed every 15k. Put in APR coil packs at 45k just for preventative maintenance + looks. Car has had APR stage 1, stock tune, and JB4 map 1 in that time. Lots of high-demand driving (track/autox/drag racing) as well.

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So I’m doing some research on the PCV valves and seeing a lot about catch cans. Should I just install on oil catch can?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I’m doing some research on the PCV valves and seeing a lot about catch cans. Should I just install on oil catch can?
You can do that, but you'll fill the catch can with oil. It still won't be in your engine. I would do BL and a CC.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The CC kits all come with a plate that removes the pcv all together.
Not all, and you'll still be losing oil into the cc, that isn't being returned to your engine.

Your car, do what you want. The BL PCV has been pretty effective for anyone running 200tw or greater tires on track. My goal is to not just keep the car from smoking or hesitating on track, but to keep the oil where it belongs, which is in the engine and no one makes an actual AOS setup for our cars. So far the BL has stopped my oil use and smoking. I'm adding a can inline just in case. If I see oil in it, I'll know it's time to replace the PCV.

If you're running 100tw or below tires, all bets are off. There really isn't a great solution for this car yet.

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not all, and you'll still be losing oil into the cc, that isn't being returned to your engine.

Your car, do what you want. The BL PCV has been pretty effective for anyone running 200tw or greater tires on track. My goal is to not just keep the car from smoking or hesitating on track, but to keep the oil where it belongs, which is in the engine and no one makes an actual AOS setup for our cars. So far the BL has stopped my oil use and smoking. I'm adding a can inline just in case. If I see oil in it, I'll know it's time to replace the PCV.

If you're running 100tw or below tires, all bets are off. There really isn't a great solution for this car yet.
I fully agree. It needs to be controlled properly. Looks like I need to start with the bl pcv

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I've also had the exact same thing happen coming out of tight 2nd gear right/left turns after heavy braking. Where I goto give it gas and the car doesn't want to accelerate at all, totally stock engine with a "normal" BFI can here . Also TC/ESC totally off via obdeleven, with 200tw tires, Beside no power hesitation when I would hit the gas, a noise like some kind of "hydraulic squishing" is the best way I could describe it. I've looked out the rear view mirror when this occurs to check if there's a never puff or cloud of smoke (as is typical) but never seen any. If it is the PCV / oil doing this, I assume I'm only not tossing a smoke screen because the catch can is catching. Versus dumping into the intake.

I mentioned it to a shop at a track day a couple years ago, they figured it was some stability control freaking out right after the near ABS stop and hard turn, the getting right back on the gas. Unsure that's even possible though it was a free suggestion.

Had a good time on Saturday too @BGrade ! I was in the silver GT4 on track with you some.

Last edited:

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've also had the exact same thing happen coming out of tight 2nd gear right/left turns after heavy braking. Where I goto give it gas and the car doesn't want to accelerate at all, totally stock engine with a "normal" BFI can here . Also TC/ESC totally off via obdeleven, with 200tw tires, Beside no power hesitation when I would hit the gas, a noise like some kind of "hydraulic squishing" is the best way I could describe it. I've looked out the rear view mirror when this occurs to check if there's a never puff or cloud of smoke (as is typical) but never seen any. If it is the PCV / oil doing this, I assume I'm only not tossing a smoke screen because the catch can is catching. Versus dumping into the intake.

I mentioned it to a shop at a track day a couple years ago, they figured it was some stability control freaking out right after the near ABS stop and hard turn, the getting right back on the gas. Unsure that's even possible though it was a free suggestion.

Had a good time on Saturday too @BGrade ! I was in the silver GT4 on track with you some.
Oh snap! We had a great time on the last session there!

I’m going to give the pcv a shot. It certainly can’t hurt.

I can understand the stability control being freaked out. I found out I was able to prevent it by staying off the apex of that corner. I’m starting to wonder if I was accidentally lugging it because I can’t hear the car.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Correct. You are officially going hard enough that your car will start to stumble out of the corners. hard lefts are where i first noticed when i began racing a few years ago.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SE-CCMQBQ-B-V2-7675.html (side note team code "EASTHOOD" will save you about 10% or so)

This is what we run on the cars now. Its been great for the past 3-4 years. You will still have to empty but it does allievate any of the power loss issues and you can continue to pound lap after lap.

Also if you haven't messed with ECS settings you very much should that were certainly limit your ability to move with agility. However mess with that as you feel comfortable. Some days i just turn asr off but for full on TA days its ESC OFF with straight brake ahead stabilization modified as well (obd11)

Yes you an replace the OEM PCV with an updated unit but it won't solve the issue completely and as you go faster you will need a different solution anyways. I'm all for changing things once and having at it.

I use NGK Rutherium plugs but the Denso IKH-24 are a great option and we use that on the HPDE vehicle.

Also thats a sick track!

Edit- If the CC isn't the Racingline or Spulen one its bascially a waste of time if trying to stop the blow-by issues on these vehicles. If the plate isn't replaced its not helping. You could go full TCR but thats a very expensive non DD useful setup. (fully internal direct to oilpan setup)

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Damn guys! Super technical info. I appreciate the help. I don’t have an OBD11. Sounds like I need to get one.

I’m thinking I will try the updated pcv for now. Just because I’m not sure when my next track day will be. It’s getting hot out here. I’m sure the track days will be limited unless I can go to SoCal.

And yes, that track was a blast. I used instruct on it years back, but we only ran east section of it. It’s much better when you run the full course. There’s a couple scary sections though. Not much runoff before crashy. Crashy not good.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Damn guys! Super technical info. I appreciate the help. I don’t have an OBD11. Sounds like I need to get one.

I’m thinking I will try the updated pcv for now. Just because I’m not sure when my next track day will be. It’s getting hot out here. I’m sure the track days will be limited unless I can go to SoCal.

And yes, that track was a blast. I used instruct on it years back, but we only ran east section of it. It’s much better when you run the full course. There’s a couple scary sections though. Not much runoff before crashy. Crashy not good.
If you don't have an OBD11, your first step should be get one and turn ESC off and the other mentioned changes. You can find most of the security code for the ABS module in my Macan calipers thread in the first post.

Send, while I agree with others that BL isn't a solution for a dedicated track rat, it's working well on my daily driver that sees 12 to 15 autocrosses and 3 track days a year. My goal is keep oil in the engine, keep car street able.

While what everyone is telling you is correct, and good info, you have to decide how far you want to go, how much you want to spend and if you're building a race car or a street car that goes to the track a couple times a year.

I've done this dance a whole bunch of times and turned too many street cars into cel throwing, unreliable, uncomfortable cars.

My target goal was the CS GTI that we never got in the states and to be able to track the car a few times a year without issue.

Decide what you goals are before you start throwing parts at it.