GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break up under hard left turns, fuel starvation?

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So I did my track day yesterday. Everything went great! Better than expected. We had temperatures in the low 90’s. Heat soak became a small issue, cutting power a little bit. Not a major issue. I know how to remedy that.

The issue that I’m not sure of is an stumble/break up on hard left turns only. I can get a few laps in before it happens. I can also stay wide off the apex, not turn all the way in, and prevent it as well. I can’t tell if it’s fuel starvation, oil starvation or possibly the front wheels contacting the the inner fender. Wondering if anyone has had the issue? I’m going to do some inspection when I put my street wheels back on.
The turn that caused it is turn 5 and it happened a couple times on turn 12. And a picture of my car just for fun
238CC5E6-531E-4727-AD79-91BB033F0326.png
3826039D-8DC4-449D-832D-2CA8A29175EA.jpeg

Reactions: q74

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What are your wheel/tire, lowering and camber specs? If it’s rubbing it should make an audible noise and you should be able to see signs of wear.

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
What are your wheel/tire, lowering and camber specs? If it’s rubbing it should make an audible noise and you should be able to see signs of wear.
Wheels are 18x8.5 +35. Tires are falken azenis rt660 235/40/18. Car is functionally low, not slammed. Camber is -2 front and -2.4 in rear. There is an audible noise. Sounds and feels like a bucking vehicle when you let the clutch out with out enough throttle. I plan to get it up on a lift to change the wheels and tires back and do some inspection.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I haven’t heard of anyone run into oil starvation issues yet, but maybe others can chime in. If it’s rubbing on the front left you may just need to do the fender screw mod. The +35 offset could definitely be the culprit, but hard to know without inspecting. Do you have any video of it occurring?

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I haven’t heard of anyone run into oil starvation issues yet, but maybe others can chime in. If it’s rubbing on the front left you may just need to do the fender screw mod. The +35 offset could definitely be the culprit, but hard to know without inspecting. Do you have any video of it occurring?
Unfortunately no I don’t have any video. Couldn’t get my GoPro working. I had the slightest but of rubbing before adjusting the camber. I know it doesn’t run out side. I’m wondering if it’s may be rubbing the inner fender?
The reason I think it’s some sort of starvation is because it takes a few seconds to recover when it happens. Low power, then starts pulling again.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Unfortunately no I don’t have any video. Couldn’t get my GoPro working. I had the slightest but of rubbing before adjusting the camber. I know it doesn’t run out side. I’m wondering if it’s may be rubbing the inner fender?
The reason I think it’s some sort of starvation is because it takes a few seconds to recover when it happens. Low power, then starts pulling again.
Hmm, yea definitely sounds like an engine issue then. Rubbing may cause a temporary hesitation if it’s severe enough but wouldn’t be that bad.

Do you get white smoke out the rear of the car during hard braking or turning?

Last edited:

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Hmm, yea definitely sounds like an engine issue then. Running may cause a temporary hesitation if it’s severe enough but wouldn’t be that bad.

Do you get white smoke out the rear of the car during hard braking or turning?
No. No smoke at all all day. It did use about 1/4 quart of oil throughout the day though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It sounds like either ESC kicking in, it takes a second for the car to start accelerating again after it kills your fun OR you overwhelming the PCV with oil and it causes the car sputter as it burns off the oil.

OBD11 or VCDSallows you to fully turn off ESC and I cured my PCV/oil issue with the BL version of the PCV from the Audi A4.

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It sounds like either ESC kicking in, it takes a second for the car to start accelerating again after it kills your fun OR you overwhelming the PCV with oil and it causes the car sputter as it burns off the oil.

OBD11 or VCDSallows you to fully turn off ESC and I cured my PCV/oil issue with the BL version of the PCV from the Audi A4.
I will look into both of those. Thank you.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why such high neg camber in the rear? I've noticed the car will overwhelm the PCV worse if it's understeering more so than if it's neutral to slight oversteer.

With -2 front, you should be -1.5 rear unless you're running some crazy high rear spring rate or something.

If you're burning oil on track, it's coming from the PCV and it's most likely the cause of your hesitation. If the smoke is mild, you may not even notice it.

Like I said above, I'd do the BL PCV revision from the A4. It's now the current revision for the R and S3, but not the GTI for some reason. Dealer will tell you it doesn't fit. It does.

Last edited:

BGrade

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Why such high neg camber in the rear? I've noticed the car will overwhelm the PCV worse if it's understeering more so than if it's neutral to slight oversteer.

With -2 front, you should be -1.5 rear unless you're running some crazy high rear spring rate or something.

If you're burning oil on track, it's coming from the PCV and it's most likely the cause of your hesitation. If the smoke is mild, you may not even notice it.

Like I said above, I'd do the BL PCV revision from the A4. It's now the current revision for the R and S3, but not the GTI for some reason. Dealer will tell you it doesn't fit. It does.
Honestly the camber in the rear was just to clear the +35 offset wheels with the azenis, tires are very wide for a 235. I experienced 0 under steer and only a couple instances of oversteer, caused by me. Traction wise it felt hooked up. I’ll attach some pictures of the front tire wear because I just cleaned out the car.

I’m all in on the pcv and plugs though. I just had to add 3/4 of oil and it smells a slight bit like fuel. Does anyone know where I can order the bl pcv revision? Or should I just call the dealer?

Also if I’m changing plugs should I “upgrade” or go colder? I do plan on adding a better tune later.

Attachments

• F76F3198-D52E-40D1-9ECD-522E118126ED.jpeg
    F76F3198-D52E-40D1-9ECD-522E118126ED.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 9A4C1CB6-147E-42FE-B04F-143F17CC8E0A.jpeg
    9A4C1CB6-147E-42FE-B04F-143F17CC8E0A.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 78

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Honestly the camber in the rear was just to clear the +35 offset wheels with the azenis, tires are very wide for a 235. I experienced 0 under steer and only a couple instances of oversteer, caused by me. Traction wise it felt hooked up. I’ll attach some pictures of the front tire wear because I just cleaned out the car.

I’m all in on the pcv and plugs though. I just had to add 3/4 of oil and it smells a slight bit like fuel. Does anyone know where I can order the bl pcv revision? Or should I just call the dealer?

Also if I’m changing plugs should I “upgrade” or go colder? I do plan on adding a better tune later.
FCP Euro sells the BL version.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
FCP Euro sells the BL version.
Shopdap as well. They had the best price I found a month or so ago.

I'm going one step colder plugs (RS7 NGK) for a stg1 golf R, but for a normal GTI without a turbo upgrade I'd definitely stick OEM. Check with your tuner once you do get tuned.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought everyone liked the Rothium or something like that plus now?