GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braking issues for MK7.5 golf

Mr.Shmubbles

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf
Hello,

First off, I'm not the biggest car guy when it comes to the mechanical part of a car but I am learning everyday. However this may be a newbie question but when do brakes for a 2018 MK7.5 golf have to be changed? Reason being is because earlier this year (february-march) I started to notice that when the roads were wet, as I started to apply the brake pedal I got absolutely no response. Only after pumping the brakes 3 or 4 times did it then start to brake. This happened about 5 or 6 times in about a month.

I then went to the dealership and the guy at the service department, not only does he not look at the brakes at all but he even tells me that my situation is normal. His explanation to this being normal was because he says that when water gets between the brake pad and rotor there is a slight delay as the friction is not instant. I have never heard about this issue in my life even when I had my MK4, my brakes were always responsive.

Anyways fast forward to this week I start noticing that when braking, there's some slight rubbing noise that I am hearing between the pads and the rotors and the rear left brake system of the car makes a clunking noise. I did make an appointment with the dealership so that they could take a look at the brakes, which will be costing me 60$... but whatever I just hope they can find the problem this time and not give me some BS excuse. I did also look to see if there was a recall to the braking system of my car, which there was for my model year. However my car was not included in the recall as apparently my car was not one of the affected vehicles.

Also please keep in mind that I live in Canada more specifically Quebec, and my car has 38,000 km or about 23,600 miles and it is a manual.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Have you checked the pads and your fluid level? My guess would be air in the system or sticky slid pin, but it can be a lot of things without more info...

Mr.Shmubbles

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf
Have you checked the pads and your fluid level? My guess would be air in the system or sticky slid pin, but it can be a lot of things without more info...

yes, I was able to check the pads when I changed my tires and they are ok. There is still quite a decent amount of the pad left. My guess firstly was that there may be air in the system as that was what the recall was for. The brake fluid does seem quite low, but I guess I would have to wait until I get the car inspected for them to find the cause.