GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes Brakes Brakes

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Sounds like pad fade. I run G-LOC pads on my stock calipers and they hold up with no fade. They are dedicated track pads though, so they get swapped in and out for every track event.

I also use Motul 600, no issues.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
So my experience appears to be different than others here. I also cooked DS2500's on a track day, on 300 treadwear tires. They simply overheat and lose stopping power. I would suggest a real track pad and ducting if you don't want to upgrade to something more substantial.

PS: also, if you haven't played with the ECS settings, XDS, etc.... those will work against you, as they're using brake to help stabilize/steer the car. They cook pads even more.

Reactions: q74

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Rotor isn’t big enough. Not big enough of a heat sink. No heat dissipation. You can run whatever superstar track pad and the problem is the small rotor/caliper.
This. I have this issue at autocross running non-pp brakes. Even after only 4-5 runs my brakes are HOT. Pads can handle it (semi-aggressive), but the whole system starts to overheat and you can feel it. The lack of airflow + the smallest rotor mass really does no favors.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you want to keep your stock non pp brakes I would switch to the Powerstop trackday spec pads. They are honestly a hidden gem. They make a ton of noise and will destroy your rotors if you don't swap them out for daily driving. They are true track pads so they don't come with any hardware, they will rattle around in your calipers at slow speeds, but once you do a track session or two they will mold to your caliper and stop moving around.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-track-day-spec-brake-pads/

Yep, I ran them in my. Miata on track. They only make the Track Day Pad for the Brembos, which makes no sense, but I've been bugging them to make the Track Day Spec in the 001 pad.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I'm going to disagree with a few folks here, its not glazing (well maybe, but not because of insufficent bedding). You overheated the pads due to the small rotor size and aggressive braking. You can try a more agressive pad with a larger heat range, but ultimatly the non-PP rotors are too small for repeated agressive breaking.

You might be able to adjust your driving to better manage your brakes better. Not sure if its applicable for you, but an intresting article about about overslowing https://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com/2020/07/10/big-lies-1-in-slow-out-fast/

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I ran 986 calipers for a while, which use the non-PP rotors. They worked fine until I put the IS38 in—the extra speed was a bit too much. So, I would say that the non-PP rotors are fine for a while. You can put either the GT3 or RS3 scoops on the arms to get more air in. I'd also agree that you should get better pads and fluid too. I'd also do both. If you just swap the pads and leave the fluid, you're going to just trade a hard pedal with no brakes for a soft pedal with no brakes.

Also, as far as pads go, I'm not a fan of "dual use" pads. In my experience, dual use pads are just kinda lousy on the street (in terms of wear, cost, and dirt...they'll stop the car fine though) and the track (in terms of performance). You can get a "mild" track only pad (i.e. Pagid RS29s) and they'll be just as good on the street (except maybe in winter, depending on your climate), and actually work on the track.