GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake system stretch bolts

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I know they should be replaced, but if I can't my hands on them for a bit and need to do my brakes tomorrow, is there any harm in temporarily re-using the current bolts and then just replacing them when the new ones get in?

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Yes, just torque it properly. Unless you do serious competition driving, you can continue using it but just change for the peace of mind.

PS..hate stretch bolts. So wasteful and expensive. Stupid german decision making. Besides head bolts, no where else should need stretch bolts.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, just torque it properly. Unless you do serious competition driving, you can continue using it but just change for the peace of mind.

PS..hate stretch bolts. So wasteful and expensive. Stupid german decision making. Besides head bolts, no where else should need stretch bolts.

I think it goes into the overall safety of the car, so imo, not that bad of an idea.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I know where to get the bolts, the problem is they're not here yet. That's why I was asking if it's ok to drive on the originals for a bit until I get the time to re-do them since tomorrow is the only chance I have to do my brakes for at least another week.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
No stretch bolts..the big caliper carrier to hub carrier bolts are clean/inspect & the caliper to caliper carrier (known as pad bolts)...are renew...ONLY because they are supplied with pre applied blue Loctite....(medium strength)...if you have no new bolts, then clean & apply fresh blue Loctite...

even VW have had to do this (late last year) from HQ on the new cars as all the undertrays are fitted with bolts/blue Loctite..so use once only..but then VW ran out of bolts & peoples cars on the lot "can't drive sir as no undertray & no bolt"...so VW issued a directive to allow the dealers to apply blue Loctite to the old bolts!!.....

you couldn't make it up!!!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I’ve never replaced my brake hardware and never had any issues.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's going to be fine....

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I think the only true stretch bolts are the rear carrier bolts, everything else is is recommended to be replaced because they have loctite on them.

Last edited: