GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake System Repair 101

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve had some brake jobs on my fleet lately so I figured I’d put some useful information out there. In a world of “REMOVE & REPLACE” there’s less and less actual repairs done. Here’s a few you can DIY when issues occur.

I’ll update this as more of these kind of jobs come up, feel free to add your experiences or questions below.

Caliper Rebuild/re-seal

Seized Brake Pins (uneven wear/stuck caliper)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I didn't watch all the videos the whole way through, but after fixing cars for the past 27yrs I've found that the traditional greases eg copper slip etc are not as suitable these days for brake systems.

I only use the TRW PFG-110 grease for lubricating the slider pins with accordion boots, & for the pad backs & ears I only use Loctite LB8009 (in USA it is called “Heavy Duty”).

I've used Ceratec & various other high temp greases & copper slip, & all are rubbish by comparison, for longevity & for seizing up under heat! In fact using these greases caused me to ruin one set of front discs/pads on the front of my Mk7!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I didn't watch all the videos the whole way through, but after fixing cars for the past 27yrs I've found that the traditional greases eg copper slip etc are not as suitable these days for brake systems.

I only use the TRW PFG-110 grease for lubricating the slider pins with accordion boots, & for the pad backs & ears I only use Loctite LB8009 (in USA it is called “Heavy Duty”).

I've used Ceratec & various other high temp greases & copper slip, & all are rubbish by comparison, for longevity & for seizing up under heat! In fact using these greases caused me to ruin one set of front discs/pads on the front of my Mk7!

I’m researching switching to a solid mounted rear brake set up, but in the meantime I’ll be greasing the rear pins every oil change to avoid further issues. I’ll have to give that stuff a try.

In my 15 year of driving I haven’t had any issues prior to this, but I also haven’t tracked or as aggressively mountain road tortured street cars either.

Also considering adding grease fittings on the blind end of the pin bores, so it can be serviced without disassembly.