GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Rotor conditions

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Another event coming up next weekend, I'm going to swap in a new pair and do a bleed. Check your brake system regularly if you track your car.

FRT R1.jpg

FRT R2.jpg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Looks like my skin after a shower in these Texas winters…

1674390434308.gif

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
If those lines aren't to the point your fingernail drags then, and the larger "cracks" aren't to the edge then there's still life left in them. It's just micro-crazing. If they make you nervous then feel free to replace, but I'd be doing it every 2 weekends on track if that were the case.

Mine look similar and will see another couple days on track before replacement. I will be bringing spares just in case they need replacing after day 1 but I don't expect to need them.

This was before 2 more days on track (these have 7 days total, 6 at VIR and 1 at Summit on the Jefferson Circuit), and they're not much "worse" now (away from home so can't get a newer pic).

On the topic of rotors, I have noticed the insides of them are not doing this at all (yet). So I've since pulled off the "GTI" plate in an attempt to allow SOME small amount of airflow to the outer pads. I have the RS3 brake deflectors installed which may help the inners FWIW.

Edit:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog/when-is-it-time-to-replace-my-iron-discs

Attachments

• 39066C4A-76FB-458A-953A-1728FB86FF4E.jpeg
    39066C4A-76FB-458A-953A-1728FB86FF4E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 3D7E702B-8302-411C-8DB2-4197A340A10F.jpeg
    3D7E702B-8302-411C-8DB2-4197A340A10F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Track day rotors be like...

1674436137800.png

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
If those lines aren't to the point your fingernail drags then, and the larger "cracks" aren't to the edge then there's still life left in them. It's just micro-crazing. If they make you nervous then feel free to replace, but I'd be doing it every 2 weekends on track if that were the case.

Mine look similar and will see another couple days on track before replacement. I will be bringing spares just in case they need replacing after day 1 but I don't expect to need them.

This was before 2 more days on track (these have 7 days total, 6 at VIR and 1 at Summit on the Jefferson Circuit), and they're not much "worse" now (away from home so can't get a newer pic).

On the topic of rotors, I have noticed the insides of them are not doing this at all (yet). So I've since pulled off the "GTI" plate in an attempt to allow SOME small amount of airflow to the outer pads. I have the RS3 brake deflectors installed which may help the inners FWIW.

Edit:
Great read.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

Edit:
Am I seeing things in the 2nd photo of OP where it looks like the rotor is separating from the hat? To me, that looks like a crack and is a rotor about to fail.

Otherwise, I agree about the micro cracks. My stock rotors developed those after a hard day or two on track.