GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake pedal height is annoying

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
It's probably bowing to corporate lawyer but the brake pedal height is annoying. I don't recall another car I've owned where the brake pedal is so high. It forces the driver to lift the right foot off the gas pedal to operate the brake. The driver can even catch the right foot on the brake pedal. Ideally, the driver should be able to move the ball of the right foot off the gas and onto the brake pedal while the heel remains on the floor.

This inhibits the quickest possible application of the brakes when really needed. IMHO, this is a safety issue.

I'm wondering if the brake pedal can be lowered. Even a little would help.

(You can't do true heel-and-toe because the engine backs of all power when the brake is applied.)

TarzanoftheApes

Ready to race!
It's probably bowing to corporate lawyer but the brake pedal height is annoying. I don't recall another car I've owned where the brake pedal is so high. It forces the driver to lift the right foot off the gas pedal to operate the brake. The driver can even catch the right foot on the brake pedal. Ideally, the driver should be able to move the ball of the right foot off the gas and onto the brake pedal while the heel remains on the floor.

This inhibits the quickest possible application of the brakes when really needed. IMHO, this is a safety issue.

I'm wondering if the brake pedal can be lowered. Even a little would help.

(You can't do true heel-and-toe because the engine backs of all power when the brake is applied.)

Yeah this really bugs me as well. Vwvortex has a thread about it where some people came up with different solutions. My fix was pretty simple, I just peeled off the rubber cap on the brake pedal.

Reflex2dr

Ready to race!

Ive been heel-toeing in my car recently and haven't noticed anything weird like that other than its hard as shit to do with the pedal setup. But you can do it and it works fine..

What are you trying to say...that you're not able to rev it when the brake is applied?

Having something fabbed would most likely be the easiest option for this.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
You'd have to have a shop fab a new pedal all the way to the linkage. I'm sure there are federal standards for the material and stiffness. Our cars are not easy to heel/toe but I wouldn't mess with the stock pedal. Maybe it's better to put a thicker cover on the gas pedal to raise it up.

As far as it being dangerous, I disagree. It's no worse than most cars.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
And here I thought that there was nothing else to complain about. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
And here I thought that there was nothing else to complain about. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time I heard this complaint. Years ago I wanted to buy a Mercedes but the brake pedal was so high off the floor I couldn't comfortably press it without raising my leg to an uncomfortable position. And this was with an automatic. Between the "Kompressor" being weak in hot weather and the pedal it was a deal breaker. Begs the question - why did you buy the car after taking a test drive?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It is a little too high. I've had worse though. I also have an Acura MDX. They are just about even. You can just slip your foot right over. The golf is not horrible though. I don't have to lift my foot off the floor. I can still leave my heel down. I also have a Town&Country. You have to actually lift your foot up to reach that brake.