GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

brake fluid recommendations

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If you haven’t ever changed it on a 2015 car, it is NOT “fine”. Not only has it’s boiling point been reduced, but you can actually absorb enough moisture to damage components like your ABS unit, or even cause caliper sticking issues. Learned my lesson years ago the hard way.
Agree with this statement, I do mine every 2 years at the maximum. Since you do not test your brake fluid for moisture content (water) you don't know how bad it is. Change it and feel the difference, the pedal feel will be more firm. You can and will do damage to the braking components over time if your never change it and it may be that one time that you really need the brake to work, so it is up to you, pay now ($) or pay later ($$$$), your choice.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Agree with this statement, I do mine every 2 years at the maximum. Since you do not test your brake fluid for moisture content (water) you don't know how bad it is. Change it and feel the difference, the pedal feel will be more firm. You can and will do damage to the braking components over time if your never change it and it may be that one time that you really need the brake to work, so it is up to you, pay now ($) or pay later ($$$$), your choice.

I do test my brake fluid for moisture content. They sell brake tester strips. Anyways mine is still showing 1% moisture level which is totally fine. Believe anything over 3% needs to be changed.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
does anyone actually change their brake fluid that often? mine is fine and its never been changed

Yes. Even if it is fine (and I don’t believe 5 year old brake fluid is) I enjoy wrenching on my car.

It’s not particularly hard, or time consuming or expensive and it’s a good excuse to escape to the garage, listen to some music, have a couple beers and knock off some maintenance.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Yes. Even if it is fine (and I don’t believe 5 year old brake fluid is) I enjoy wrenching on my car.

It’s not particularly hard, or time consuming or expensive and it’s a good excuse to escape to the garage, listen to some music, have a couple beers and knock off some maintenance.
Did we just become best friends?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Buy the strips to test the fluid after every oil change. Try and check the fluid when its a day with low humidity. Never had an issue or show signs in any of my cars I've had doing this. Seem to only change the fluid out when I do brakes. However, currently I still have about 60% life left on my brakes so probably going to be another couple years before I change them out.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Here's maybe a silly question... can the GTI be flushed by conventional means? Two person, hold the pedal down routine?
I recently bought a 17 SE and it's time.

TIA, Marty

Pump... hold 🤣

This is the only time I ask the wife for help when working on the car, I prefer this method so I can make sure I get the pedal engagement as instant as possible

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Pump... hold 🤣

This is the only time I ask the wife for help when working on the car, I prefer this method so I can make sure I get the pedal engagement as instant as possible

Motive Power Bleeder. I gave up on asking my wife for help on this kind of stuff. "It's too hot out" was the response the last time I asked. Hose in the motive bleeder had broke and I was kind of stuck. Thanks honey :rolleyes:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Pump... hold 🤣

Not to get off topic but my lady has recently been showing interest in helping me with the car, she's changed spark plugs, oil changes and more basic stuff. Recently I was rebuilding my brakes and doing ball joints/wheel bearings and she wanted to help. I had my ball joint tool and showed her how to do one side and she wanted to do the other. Told her when it gets tight to hit it with a hammer and it'll break free, she way over tightened it and it exploded and hit her thumb. It was black and blue, I felt bad but she took it like a champ with a new appreciation for how I'm always hurting myself working on cars :LOL:

david99

Car(s)
Tiguan
Hi All, Could you please advice which DOT 4 LV fluid to use to avoid brake pedal squeak? I tried so far VW OEM one and Shell DOT 4 ESL with both of them I'm getting pedal squeak. Thanks.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Hi All, Could you please advice which DOT 4 LV fluid to use to avoid brake pedal squeak? I tried so far VW OEM one and Shell DOT 4 ESL with both of them I'm getting pedal squeak. Thanks.
I've never heard of brake squeaks stemming from brake fluid. If the squeak is from somewhere near the wheels, it's typically the pads, rotors, or often something jammed between the pads and rotors. If you can identify the wheel, pull the wheel/tire and inspect the rotor and caliper, and if that doesn't visually expose the culprit, look at the pads themselves. But if the squeak is emanating from the interior, check the pedal pivot: a quick spray of Tri-Flow lubricant can eliminate such noises.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

The actual pedal squeaks? That’s not a fluid concern. Check the pivot points on the pedal.

david99

Car(s)
Tiguan
No it is not pedal pivot I have checked it squeak started after replacement of brake fluid. There are some threads on internet about this already.