GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

brake fluid recommendations

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
It's about time to flush my brakes again. I was thinking about using ATE SL.6 (DOT 4). I've been a big fan of their Type 200 fluid for years, but I'm never going to track my car and the super low viscosity of the SL.6 is supposed to improve ABS performance in cold weather. I also don't want something which is going to suck up moisture to the point where I need to flush it every 12 months. Any thoughts or recommendations?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
OE maintenance only calls for every 2 years after the first 3. So no worry about every 12 months. If you have no performance need, why are you looking to stray away from OE fluid? Can't be from cost when OEM flud is $10.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
OEM = ATE DOT 4 LV = Pentosin DOT 4 LV and probably others.

Specs are virtually identical, and I suspect they all come out of the same plant. As said, any of those are perfectly fine for 2 years of street use. Any fluid absorbs moisture, but you will never know the difference on the street.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My first inclination was to pick up some ATE Blue Type 200, as it is fabulous for not boiling. I've used that on my motorcycles for over a dozen years, as it cured my brakes from getting soft after coming down from high speeds--even on the street. Yes, you can boil your brake fluid on the street. But then I found out that ATE had to stop selling it in the US because of the coloring, now they just sell the gold version (having two colors made flushing super easy). On their website I started reading about their SL.6, and the specs sounded good. I just thought I'd ask in here in case somebody knew something I didn't.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
My first inclination was to pick up some ATE Blue Type 200, as it is fabulous for not boiling. I've used that on my motorcycles for over a dozen years, as it cured my brakes from getting soft after coming down from high speeds--even on the street. Yes, you can boil your brake fluid on the street. But then I found out that ATE had to stop selling it in the US because of the coloring, now they just sell the gold version (having two colors made flushing super easy). On their website I started reading about their SL.6, and the specs sounded good. I just thought I'd ask in here in case somebody knew something I didn't.

Use the DOT 4-LV that you originally wanted (ATE SL.6). ATE SL.6 works fine.

Regular DOT 4 does work, but the response of ABS and ESP is slower, though it's more fun in the snow with a slower response from the ABS pump. It will slide a little more before the ESP kicks in.... not really dangerous in my opinion. This was back with my FWD B6 Passat, where the shop used Motul RBF600 (yes, I have dedicated snows also)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I’ve been using Motul RBF600 for years. I have a Motive bleeder and bleed my cars every other year.

I’m switching to RBF600 after changing from OEM to ATE 200. Some say the ATE 200 causes their pedal to squeak and that’s gotten into my head as I do think I hear a squeak. Lol. Damn OCD and car forums...

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Ate TYP200 is fine. You can't buy ATE Super Blue anymore and haven't been able to for years. Nothing wrong with Motul but it's overkill for a street car

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
RBF600 is very hygroscopic.....needing to be changed at shorter intervals, especially in humid conditions .
On my bikes I will switch it out after a couple of track days. It is easy to see and feel the difference with the fresh fluid.