GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake feel altered with new tires?

amsr

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 GTI SE I recently replaced my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ with some Pilot Sport AS4 tires. I noticed now that the initial brake “bite” that I felt previously with my car is gone. I guess it could be the tires, but on paper at least the AS4 is at least as good as the AS3+ In braking. The thing is I had better initial bite also with the stock Pirelli P7. I literally drove into the tire shop with grabby performance pack brakes and drove out with my brakes feeling more like an old Ford Taurus. They feel faded I guess and it’s very consistent. I doubt my pads suddenly wore out when they changed the tires. Is there something that can happen with a tire/wheel swap that could cause a change in braking feel?

FWIW the new tires have about 1000 miles on them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know the specs. How does the cold weather braking compare between them?

amsr

Ready to race!
The specs on tire rack look similar for braking distance. They only measure "dry" - they don't (that I can tell) say what temp they tested at. Could something with how they torqued the lug nuts effect braking performance or feel? Thats literally the only thing I can think of..

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
Have you considered that new tires are going to feel more sluggish due to the increased tread depth? I realize you are past the break in period but worth a thought. Tire rack quick article.

Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have you considered that new tires are going to feel more sluggish due to the increased tread depth? I realize you are past the break in period but worth a thought. Tire rack quick article.
Welcome to the forum.

I've always found new tires to be especially grabby the first time I applied the brakes. Always a noticeable difference considering the old tires were worn out. Even if they were cheaper tires.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah idk, considering the previous set didn’t do this, and the original set that came on the car didn't either, I’m sort of wondering if there’s something else going on. Initial bite is kind of the hallmark of the PP brakes on this car, even with the stock "touring" AS tires. I doubt putting new grippier tiers, would make this go away. If anything grippier tires should enhance this effect. I guess I’ll take it back in and see what they say.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Full tread depth + mold release compound + cold weather = sketchy braking feel.