GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Discs

ROBK75

Ready to race!
Anyone upgraded theirs? Thinking of getting Tarox discs and pads all round, my pads need replacing and the discs look a bit worn. Gonna cost about £800 to replace everything but the brakes are the only 'standard' thing left on my car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
£800?? wow thats costly.

I'm upgrading to GTD size (I only have 288mm) & new ATE power discs & plain pads & two bigger front carrier brackets is coating about £301. These are the best OEM fully R90 road approved stuff with the tightest manufacturing tolerances I can find. Better that some of the "performance" stuff.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
£800?? wow thats costly.

I'm upgrading to GTD size (I only have 288mm) & new ATE power discs & plain pads & two bigger front carrier brackets is coating about £301. These are the best OEM fully R90 road approved stuff with the tightest manufacturing tolerances I can find. Better that some of the "performance" stuff.

Yeah it certainly adds up, Tarox cross drilled front discs are £258, rears £210, front pads £115 and rears about £50. Then you've got fitting...

Still not sure to be honest, could just throw a new set of pads on for about £100 but I've experienced a bit of brake fade a couple of times from high speed, plus the Tarox discs look cool :D

golfhappy

Ready to race!
Walked by an audi tonight and it had upgraded rear discs, drilled. Looked the biz. I suppose if you've upgraded everything else why stop short at your stopping power.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Anyone upgraded theirs? Thinking of getting Tarox discs and pads all round, my pads need replacing and the discs look a bit worn. Gonna cost about £800 to replace everything but the brakes are the only 'standard' thing left on my car.

Seems a bit overkill.

Maybe try some better pads with the standard discs. Should help eliminate brake fade on the road.

On my old R32, I could work the brakes to fade on a "spirited" drive on the back roads. I just uprated the pads with stock discs and they were fine.
Even did an evening at Cadwell and they were fine, albeit a bit smoky!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
How many track days do you do? Unless you do quite a few every year you are throwing money away as they will never be used to their full capacity on the roads.