GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
I'd be interested if you could make it fit base model golfs, and maybe some modified dust shields that work like the RS3 Shields.
1623190667879.png

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
All I would want is a dust shield/backing plate with a fitting for a 2.5" or 3" hose. Running the hose up the front bumper is relatively simple with some brake ducting, hose clamps, and aircraft inlets... all diy is fine. But how to get it close to the caliper requires fab work... that's where you come in.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
There are essentially two options.

One is a backing plate with a short oval connector to attach a brake hose to dump air into the center of the rotor. The backing plate will protect the lower ball joint and ABS sensor from heat. Packaging is complicated and with aggressive track wheels and fitment space is scarce. One for the 340mm Performance Pack setup that will also work with the Macan/Brembo upgrade and the one for the 350/355 BBK.

The second is what you are proposing, a purpose built air deflector that is larger than the RS3 plastic duct. Most probably extending lower and curved to scoop air towards the center of the rotor. A curved deflector on the top so the air doesn’t spill over the top but is carried/flowed toward the rotor. This will be the easier and less expensive route. Talking to the guys at Vorshlag, they have developed this style for their track Mustang and it has been tested to be more effective than the backing plate and hose style.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Reducing brake temps will also extend pad life on track For folks running BBK’s. So there is a market for an effective solution.
Those running PP brakes on track will most definitely need a better solution than RS3 brake ducts.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Reducing brake temps will also extend pad life on track For folks running BBK’s. So there is a market for an effective solution.
Those running PP brakes on track will most definitely need a better solution than RS3 brake ducts.
I track my GTI with Ferodo DS2500 front pads and while I'm not the fastest driver, I get placed in the intermediate class when we go to DDT. I think stock calipers with DS2500 and RS3 brake ducts are a very good combo for someone of my skill. If you were more advanced than me, then maybe you want BBK with at least 4 or 6 piston front calipers. I ran consistent 1:50 and have no doubts I can run 1:49 if my girlfriend wasn't sitting as a passenger. Sshould be breaking into high 1:40s this season even with her with me now that I have stage 1 and plan to get myself a set of Falken RT660.

<-- Not my video but this is the track.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
A proper brake backing plate will look like this. An example of an E46 M3. A Gti doesn’t have the inner fender clearance at full lock like the M3.
5E2D3205-A528-4EC8-AABA-EA0945FDCC62.jpeg
E92C87C3-6D01-49A5-8D2C-F87D2A15EF94.jpeg

This is the backing plate on my Mini Cooper S

659CB10A-DAB6-4427-A92D-91ADA36244F4.jpeg
2F5D82B2-7B9B-493E-8E76-E9C868F43259.jpeg
28D6AF89-9A16-4FEE-B14B-BDB95F583E9F.jpeg

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
I purchased the left and right RS3 brake ducts for ~$53 on eBay, but haven’t installed them yet. I’m planning to install them in the next week or two when I rotate tires, but I would be interested in buying a pair if you guys can do some testing and show noticeably improved temps between your brake ducts and the RS3 brake ducts.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I track my GTI with Ferodo DS2500 front pads and while I'm not the fastest driver, I get placed in the intermediate class when we go to DDT. I think stock calipers with DS2500 and RS3 brake ducts are a very good combo for someone of my skill. If you were more advanced than me, then maybe you want BBK with at least 4 or 6 piston front calipers. I ran consistent 1:50 and have no doubts I can run 1:49 if my girlfriend wasn't sitting as a passenger. Sshould be breaking into high 1:40s this season even with her with me now that I have stage 1 and plan to get myself a set of Falken RT660.

<-- Not my video but this is the track.

I thought Vitour Tempesta Enzos were the best tire ever?