GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
We track our cars often and have made custom brake cooling ducts. I noticed the community may have interest in these products as there are a couple DIY threads for use with OEM parts. Price on those can get expensive. Ours would be competitively priced and bigger. Any interest?

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I'd be interested to learn more! I run Pagid RSL29s in Brembo monobloc 4 piston calipers on stock 340mm rotors. I have the dust/rock/heat shields removed and have the RS3 control arm air scoops. I recorded my calipers at 932 degrees F AFTER a cool-down lap. I am pretty price-conscious though. Is there a ball park price your team is thinking?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes - if they can also fit the "regular" Golf with 50mm knuckles/stamped control arms.

Edit. Speaking to the RS3 ducts that zip-tie to your LCAs, not standard type hose ducts.

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
How is the price of the rs3 ducts expensive compared to what Apr would price their "proprietary" models for?

The Audi ducts are pretty cheap. You'd need to be cheaper or prove (actual science) the Apr models are better.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I installed the Audi RS3 ducts on my car. They were WELL under $100, but not sure of the realistic benefit, I'm not convinced that they do too much.
If your company can make reasonably priced air ducts that prove to be better than the ones that I have on my car now, and make a significant difference in brake rotor temps, then I would DEFINITELY be interested!
Of course, the better that they work, the more I'm willing to pay for them.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Depends, if they're a track only duct with hoses and real backing plates I'd have some interest but if they're those fins that attach to the control arms then I'd pass.

I mostly agree with this, with the caveat that it would have to be something that would allow the car to be driven on the street (so, not sure about "track only"). Also likely to put an aux radiator on the car from the R, so they couldn't be something that didn't work on the R as well.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
What price point do we need to hit?

They would be the air dam attached to control arm style.
Considering the rs3 ones exist for like 40-50$ a pair. And according to that one guy (that British cat) who is always swapping mk8 parts in and out and making crazy how to’s, the rs3 ducts do indeed work. His wheels are dirtier and on this one particular downhill there’s some aero resistance. Enough to slow him down enough to avoid the brakes iirc

so if they’re gonna be more than the rs3 ones. They’re gonna have to be way better. And if that’s the case I’d buy. For sure.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
What price point do we need to hit?

They would be the air dam attached to control arm style.
I'm out. The Porsche gt3 ducts can be bought for ~10 bucks and be easily modified to fit mk7 arms.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Considering the rs3 ones exist for like 40-50$ a pair. And according to that one guy (that British cat) who is always swapping mk8 parts in and out and making crazy how to’s, the rs3 ducts do indeed work. His wheels are dirtier and on this one particular downhill there’s some aero resistance. Enough to slow him down enough to avoid the brakes iirc

so if they’re gonna be more than the rs3 ones. They’re gonna have to be way better. And if that’s the case I’d buy. For sure.

Did somebody call?..:cool:

There are two sets of OEM Audi front brake air guides, & I have tried both..

The first set I tried was the old (2010-2014yr), PQ35 (A5) platform, Audi TT-RS & Audi RS3 items. These caused aero drag as they extended below the lower edge of the suspension arm.

Then the second set I tried are from the MQB Audi RS3. These do not extend below the arm therefore create less aero drag than the ones above, but still direct enough of the air above the arm towards the disc hub.

Both sets caused the alloys to be come more dirty where the brake discs central vent exits facing the alloy rim, so they both work.

Of note is that the Audi RS3 (MQB) items are based on a design & product that was first made by a forum member on the Audi-Sport.net forum & he tested his on various roads & used a thermal imaging gun to look at the discs before & after. All correct info in my post here:-

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

If APR want to remake the wheel so to speak, then you have factor in that VAG changed the arm design ever so slightly as later GTI/CCS/R got the same RS3 arm, which look similar to the early ones but are not.

You also have to factor in the brake caliper type & the disc size, as even with a 312mm disc the caliper will hit the edge nearest the brakes on full lock as the RS3 items are originally made for bigger discs, which places the caliper further away.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Did somebody call?..:cool:

There are two sets of OEM Audi front brake air guides, & I have tried both..

The first set I tried was the old (2010-2014yr), PQ35 (A5) platform, Audi TT-RS & Audi RS3 items. These caused aero drag as they extended below the lower edge of the suspension arm.

Then the second set I tried are from the MQB Audi RS3. These do not extend below the arm therefore create less aero drag than the ones above, but still direct enough of the air above the arm towards the disc hub.

Both sets caused the alloys to be come more dirty where the brake discs central vent exits facing the alloy rim, so they both work.

Of note is that the Audi RS3 (MQB) items are based on a design & product that was first made by a forum member on the Audi-Sport.net forum & he tested his on various roads & used a thermal imaging gun to look at the discs before & after. All correct info in my post here:-

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

If APR want to remake the wheel so to speak, then you have factor in that VAG changed the arm design ever so slightly as later GTI/CCS/R got the same RS3 arm, which look similar the the early ones but are not.

You also have to factor in the brake caliper type & the disc size, as even with a 312mm disc the caliper will hit the edge nearest the brakes on full lock as the RS3 items are originally made bigger discs, which places the caliper further away.

Good luck!
/\ this is the British guy I was talking about

thnx British guy

tigeo

Autocross Champion
These are mine modified to fit my Golf Sportwagen. $50-$75 would be fine to me for a proper fitting product (in my case).
20190519_194751.jpg

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
We track our cars often and have made custom brake cooling ducts. I noticed the community may have interest in these products as there are a couple DIY threads for use with OEM parts. Price on those can get expensive. Ours would be competitively priced and bigger. Any interest?
I will buy, take my money