GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake caliper temperature possible issue

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
Hello. Installed a full new set of Stoptech's st40 kit on the R, all bed in procedure followed as per instructions, they perform perfect but the right side is more warmer that the left( the caliper specific) not by much. but in lets say normal driving city, the left is stone cold, the right is warm-ish. Can a wheel bearing cause this? ( no sounds or anything that would indicate wrong ) or something else ? Any info from where to start checking helps.

PS: dont know if it did that on the stock brakes because I did not payed attention to that

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Did you bed in the pads properly?

"all bed in procedure followed as per instructions"

It's the very first sentence of the post...

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
yes. the bed in was done as stoptech has in the papers

I think that we are going to replace the wheel bearing and see

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Right side always seems to run hotter.

Both on my OEM PP brakes and with my BBK at the track. Figured this is due to XDs.

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
Ordered new bearings just for sake, then will go to a ramp and meassure the braking force on wheels. Got a few people saying the ABS pump could be faulty

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If its a new set of calipers & pads & everything moves easily by hand...I'd say check your ABS unit for fault codes & as you say test it on a brake force dyno to se if there actually is an imbalance..

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
You may have a pad dragging. Were the pads loose or easily moved when installed in the calipers?

That's my thought. Had this issue on another car of mine. Sometimes you can hear this if you have someone put their ear very close to the wheel as you slowly roll by.

Wheel bearing could cause this, but usually you can hear some type of noise in turns. With right side, you may be able to hear it more in left hand turns.

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
If its a new set of calipers & pads & everything moves easily by hand...I'd say check your ABS unit for fault codes & as you say test it on a brake force dyno to se if there actually is an imbalance..

no fault codes on it. but will test, maybe the abs unit is faulty not giving correct pressure to both sides

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R
So had the brakes tested

FL - 3664 NM
FR-3971 NM

RL-1952
RR-2439

epb
L-2093
R-2178

so we have suspicion that the ABS pump is the faulty piece of the puzzle, and the car has no faults on vcds or odis

• Sad
Reactions: q74

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So had the brakes tested

FL - 3664 NM
FR-3971 NM

RL-1952
RR-2439

epb
L-2093
R-2178

so we have suspicion that the ABS pump is the faulty piece of the puzzle, and the car has no faults on vcds or odis

The rears on the EPB motors is only 85Nm out left to right, but those same calipers using the brake hydraulics are 487Nm out left to right??...thats the brake hydraulics system...servo? master cylinder???..

I don't think its the ABS unit as that really doesn't apply pressure its your foot on the master cylinder/brake servo??