GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Caliper Slide Grease

awfidlstx

I have performance pack brakes that I'm upgrading for autox/HPDE. What's the best grease to use on my caliper pins in a track application that won't break down or gum up?

I heard Amsoil Dominator is good but might not last very long? Not sure how true that is. I've also seen Permatex Ceramic (purple). What do you all use?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have used purple permatex ceramic and it held up great on my 450whp C5Z track car. I know tons of other guys who used it too with no issues. I changed pads all the time and never saw any weirdness with the slides using that stuff.

Navi

Autocross Champion

awfidlstx

Thanks for the feedback. I think if I can have the same heat range between either of those, it would make sense to go with the silicone based variant in this application.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Interesting feedback on the purple stuff. Like I said I was changing stuff all the time so I guess I never had issues. I can't remember what I used last time I put the car back to street spec for good....might have to go double check now!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Two choices that I recommend...for the slide pins which go through rubber boots you need the "TRW specific grease for their callipers called PFG-110"....for everything else I use Loctite LB8009 (in USA it is called “Heavy Duty”) on all pad backing plate to caliper/bracket contact/slide points, this will take the heat it states continually, most others will only take the stated heat occasionally!

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I use this on slide pins https://www.super-lube.com/. I used to use Bel-Ray Waterproof grease because I had a tub of it lying around from old moto days, but its compound would swell the anti-vibration bushing and cause the caliper to bind. Learned that the hard way after using it for years.

awfidlstx

Thanks for the help! I’m going to try the permatex silicone ceramic extreme and see how that does. I just know that whatever grease came from the factory had one of my calipers dragging when My brakes got really hot.