GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake bleed question. Newb here.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I've never attempted to bleed the brakes on my Alltrack. Always left it to the dealer. Considering the car has ABS is there anything beyond using a power bleeder and the correct order, or do I need to activate the ABS pump with VCDS?

Thanks!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I've never attempted to bleed the brakes on my Alltrack. Always left it to the dealer. Considering the car has ABS is there anything beyond using a power bleeder and the correct order, or do I need to activate the ABS pump with VCDS?

Thanks!
Never needed vcds for bleeding the brakes. Just power bleed it in the correct order.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
FWIW-
In general you start with the caliber furthest from the master cylinder--in our case that's the passenger rear.
If you review the service manual, however, it describes something very different---- you start at the closest caliber and work back
1- Front left brake caliper
2 - Right front brake caliper
3 - Left rear brake caliper
4 - Right rear brake caliper
If you're flushing the braking system you'll need a bunch of pressure to get fluid through the ABS pump---at least 2bar, nearly 30psi (as stated above)
NO VCDS required
Be advised--make sure the adapter you place on the master cylinder reservoir can hold the 30 psi or you'll make a BIG mess.....
I tighten down the adapter on my pressure bleeder and wrap the top of the reservoir with an old bath towel---I've had this blow off the first time I did this..... (Motive bleeder)
ALSO
I collect some 15 oz of fluid from each caliber and needed some 2-1/2 quarts of new brake fluid to complete the flush...
If you're not flushing out the entire system set your bleeder to 15 psi and just bleed the calibers in the order shown above.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
FWIW-
In general you start with the caliber furthest from the master cylinder--in our case that's the passenger rear.
If you review the service manual, however, it describes something very different---- you start at the closest caliber and work back
If you're flushing the braking system you'll need a bunch of pressure to get fluid through the ABS pump---at least 2bar, nearly 30psi (as stated above)
NO VCDS required
Be advised--make sure the adapter you place on the master cylinder reservoir can hold the 30 psi or you'll make a BIG mess.....
I tighten down the adapter on my pressure bleeder and wrap the top of the reservoir with an old bath towel---I've had this blow off the first time I did this..... (Motive bleeder)
ALSO
I collect some 15 oz of fluid from each caliber and needed some 2-1/2 quarts of new brake fluid to complete the flush...
If you're not flushing out the entire system set your bleeder to 15 psi and just bleed the calibers in the order shown above.
I'd recommend the Motive Euro Power bleeder black label, comes with a Aluminum reservoir cap vs the plastic cap the regular motive euro bleeder comes with.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/eu...Lck4wc-_dRfSo1ryjG9272giWORA-d9EaAtSlEALw_wcB

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'd recommend you guys get speed bleeders for the calipers also! It makes it so bleeding the brakes are an easy one person job if you don't have the power bleeder. Works with the power bleeder also. No lose situation.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
FWIW-
NO VCDS required
ALSO

I believe the proper VW order is different. @GTIfan99, you're the brake bleed master. Which is it?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Erwin guide for the 1.8T. Pre-bleed, which I'd have to look up but assume is low pressure at the top. Standard below. They have a post bleed procedure if you still have soft pedal I can post if needed:
1652588677152.png

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Thanks for the bleeder procedure and proper order. Curious, anyone know the technical reason to bleed starting from the calipers closest to the master cylinder for the MQB platform? I'm used to the reverse order, coming from the Mazda and Honda world.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the bleeder procedure and proper order. Curious, anyone know the technical reason to bleed starting from the calipers closest to the master cylinder for the MQB platform? I'm used to the reverse order, coming from the Mazda and Honda world.
It has to do with the abs system, not specifically sure the details though.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Looking to do this myself as I'm coming up on 3 years with the car. Would it make sense to bleed the clutch when I replace the brake fluid?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looking to do this myself as I'm coming up on 3 years with the car. Would it make sense to bleed the clutch when I replace the brake fluid?
Yes.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I should have probably asked this question as well, in what order should I approach this? I understand the brakes are from FL, FR, RL, RR. What I'm not sure of is when do I bleed the clutch line? Before / after the brakes are flushed? I can't seem to find this info.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I should have probably asked this question as well, in what order should I approach this? I understand the brakes are from FL, FR, RL, RR. What I'm not sure of is when do I bleed the clutch line? Before / after the brakes are flushed? I can't seem to find this info.
does not matter as the clutch is a separate circuit even though it comes of the same reservoir.