GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BOV install on 1.4 TSI (103 kW) - CHPA

bilaba70

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd like to ask about your experiences on installing a Blow Off Valve /Diverter Valve on a Golf 1.4 TSI (2013). Looking for that turbo flutter/waste hate sounds.

Is it worth it?

Which one would you recommend for my CHPA engine? Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not worth it....the OEM system is recirculation wastegate type anyway....therefore the intake side doesn't get "over pressured" too much...unless you're running increased boost on a stage2 or 3 tune...

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Not worth it....the OEM system is recirculation wastegate type anyway....therefore the intake side doesn't get "over pressured" too much...unless you're running increased boost on a stage2 or 3 tune...
A recirculation valve isn't going to produce the sounds that a valve that vents to the atmosphere will.

The intake isn't going to be pressurized at all since it is open to the atmosphere.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
A recirculation valve isn't going to produce the sounds that a valve that vents to the atmosphere will.

The intake isn't going to be pressurized at all since it is open to the atmosphere.

Fully aware that the OEM system doesn't make noises...thats why the OP wants to add a dump valve....

Dump/blow off valves were used on the cold side...between the intake valve (throttle flap) & the cold side of the turbo.....to "dump" excess pressure...if you come off the throttle when under full load thus causing compressor surge...as the cold intake air that the turbo has just compressed & forced down to the throttle flap has nowhere to go.....

The like I said its not really needed the system doesn't produce enough pressure..only a max of 2.2bar on the 140/150PS versions......OP is 140PS...

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm not following the logic of your advice. @bilaba70 asked about adding a BOV to get more sound. You said it's (BOV) not worth it, and now you say you're aware the DV doesn't make any sound. So why is a BOV, that creates more sound, not worth it?

The only difference the BOV makes versus the DV, that the turbo is equipped with, is to vent the excess pressure to the atmosphere and not back into the intake, which is why you then hear it. If the turbo has a DV then the BOV is just an alternate path to dump the excess pressure.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm not following the logic of your advice. @bilaba70 asked about adding a BOV to get more sound. You said it's (BOV) not worth it, and now you say you're aware the DV doesn't make any sound. So why is a BOV, that creates more sound, not worth it?

The only difference the BOV makes versus the DV, that the turbo is equipped with, is to vent the excess pressure to the atmosphere and not back into the intake, which is why you then hear it. If the turbo has a DV then the BOV is just an alternate path to dump the excess pressure.

I never said an aftermarket blow off valve/dump valve was quiet....I said:- "Fully aware that the OEM system doesn't make noises...thats why the OP wants to add a dump valve"....the OP wants to add noises as the OEM system is very quiet...

If he wants to add noise then fit an aftermarket dump valve/blow off valve.......but other than noise they (DV BOV) offer NO advantage to the OP's CHPA engine which is the same as mine...this engine turbo running a max of 2.2bar boost.....I'm stage 1+ don't need it...only time you might need is when you get the stage3 kit...

As far as I am aware the EA211 engines have no DV on the cold side (recirculating or otherwise)...Instead they have an electronically controlled internal wastegate (internal bypass) on the exhaust hot side of the turbo...which controls the spin speed of the turbo turbine blades

bilaba70

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey thanks, forgot to manage engine is stage 1+.

Was looking to just add more sound. Nothing more.

Any good recommendations for a BOV for EA211 out there?