GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought my first GTI today.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Just picked up a 2017 Sport 6spd MT with 18,300 miles on it. Loving it so far! Grabbed an aftermarket bumper to bumper extended warranty good up to 6 years or 75k that even covers suspension.

Planning on doing a Clutch, Down Pipe, Eurodyne Tune, and possibly Catback and Intake for a better sound but I‘ll decide on those later.

From what I have been reading it sounds like the Eurodyne tune doesn’t leave a trace after its flashed back to stock and you give the ecu time to reset by driving like 50 miles. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on this. But with my extended warranty I don’t think the dealership I bought my car from would be checking the ecu since its not a VW dealer anyways. But I would still rather be safe if something were to happen.

Attachments

• DD6E334D-783A-44E8-BEB4-C9C62378D7E6.jpeg
    DD6E334D-783A-44E8-BEB4-C9C62378D7E6.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Looks a little lower than stock, unless those tires are taller than stock.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Looks a little lower than stock, unless those tires are taller than stock.
They are the factory size as far as I know. 225 40 18.
Its not a big deal. It does drive great and I’m sure if I’m careful driving I will be fine.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely read your warranty paper work.

There is no way to disguise the flash counter so even if you return to stock your car still shows that the ECU has been modified.

Otherwise, great looking car, should be a blast.

Absolutely ditch those tires asap if they are still the stock rubber. The car comes equipped with garbage tires

Last edited:

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Do you know what maintenance has been completed on the car? Have the same car in Reflex Silver which in now 3 years old and plan on changing the Haldex fluid. Have heard this is recommended after 3 years. I like the short shift I put on mine and the larger rear sway bar. Never tuned mine as I do not track it and find it fine for spirited street driving. Agree with changing the tires, I use Continental DWS06 for winters and Extreme Contact Sport for summers, and for the price think they are very good. Good looking car, enjoy modding it.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
The GTI doesn't have haldex differential. Only the Golf R.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
The GTI doesn't have haldex differential. Only the Golf R.
I believe that if you check the Performance Package that comes with the 17 GTI Sport as well as all others with the PP has a front Haldex as it is part of the electronic front differential. Go to ShopDap.com and look at their video about changing the fluid. I have looked at mine and it has it. The R has the Halde at the rear and probably the one at the front also.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Welcome to the club! "There are many like it, but this one is mine"

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely read your warranty paper work.

There is no way to disguise the flash counter so even if you return to stock your car still shows that the ECU has been modified.

Otherwise, great looking car, should be a blast.

Absolutely ditch those tires asap if they are still the stock rubber. The car comes equipped with garbage tires
I have taken a look at the warranty. I only have 6 months left on the bumper to bumper from vw and 30 months on the powertrain. But then my extended warranty is good for 6 more years or just about another 57k. The extened one is probably what I would be using if something were to happen after a tune.

Just from what I have read about eurodyne everyone says it resets the counter but obviously I dont know that for sure. I guess I just reflash to stock and hope for the best if I ever needed to use the warranty.

Do you know what maintenance has been completed on the car? Have the same car in Reflex Silver which in now 3 years old and plan on changing the Haldex fluid. Have heard this is recommended after 3 years. I like the short shift I put on mine and the larger rear sway bar. Never tuned mine as I do not track it and find it fine for spirited street driving. Agree with changing the tires, I use Continental DWS06 for winters and Extreme Contact Sport for summers, and for the price think they are very good. Good looking car, enjoy modding it.
I looked over the car fax and it looks like the 10k service was done and it was brought in maybe 3 or 4 other times for an oil change. The previous owner had all the service done at a vw dealership.
Its only at 18,000 miles now. And it's a 2017 but it was first purchased toward the end of 2017 so its really only been on the road for 2 years and 4 months. I will have to look into that fluid change though. I'll probably have them do it when I do my clutch.

As far as tires go I think these are the originals. They really don't have too much life left in them so I will have to buy tires within the next few months anyways. Was thinking about getting some nitto 555 today because the place I get tires from gives me a lifetime discount of $25 per purchase plus they are running a sale that ends today for $80 off a set of 4 so I could get a whole set for $425 ish.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have taken a look at the warranty. I only have 6 months left on the bumper to bumper from vw and 30 months on the powertrain. But then my extended warranty is good for 6 more years or just about another 57k. The extened one is probably what I would be using if something were to happen after a tune.

Just from what I have read about eurodyne everyone says it resets the counter but obviously I dont know that for sure. I guess I just reflash to stock and hope for the best if I ever needed to use the warranty.

I looked over the car fax and it looks like the 10k service was done and it was brought in maybe 3 or 4 other times for an oil change. The previous owner had all the service done at a vw dealership.
Its only at 18,000 miles now. And it's a 2017 but it was first purchased toward the end of 2017 so its really only been on the road for 2 years and 4 months. I will have to look into that fluid change though. I'll probably have them do it when I do my clutch.

As far as tires go I think these are the originals. They really don't have too much life left in them so I will have to buy tires within the next few months anyways. Was thinking about getting some nitto 555 today because the place I get tires from gives me a lifetime discount of $25 per purchase plus they are running a sale that ends today for $80 off a set of 4 so I could get a whole set for $425 ish.

Eurodyne can't reset the flash counter. I don't know what would happen if you're out of the factory warranty and rely on the extended warranty company. Just don't know the capabilities of the extended warranty company with regards to checking the flash counter.

And welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Great choice.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Eurodyne can't reset the flash counter. I don't know what would happen if you're out of the factory warranty and rely on the extended warranty company. Just don't know the capabilities of the extended warranty company with regards to checking the flash counter.

And welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Great choice.
Thank you!

And yea I'm not sure how that would work and if other repair shops would even care. My guess is the repair shop wouldn't want to deny it because they want to get paid. But I dont know if the warranty company sends their own person out to look at the car and how deep do they look. I do know with this warranty I am allowed to pick where the car goes for repair. The dealer I bought the car from is just a large used car dealer so they aren't directly connected with VW and if I bring it there they dont charge me the deductible.

Anyone else have experience with an extended warranty like this?

TNPiGUY

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bought my first GTI Jan 14...yes today!!!

I love it!!!!

2015 GTI - dont know much about them. I do know it has a K&M Typhoon CAI...

Thanks for having me!!!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bought my first GTI Jan 14...yes today!!!

I love it!!!!

2015 GTI - dont know much about them. I do know it has a K&M Typhoon CAI...

Thanks for having me!!!!

Welcome and thanks for joining. Congrats on the car.