GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Hmm...what are other options for a slightly louder exhaust that doesn't drone or sound obnoxious?

Northern Rabbit

Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Plenty of options out there. AWE, APR, CTS, Magnaflow, XForce, Borla, Unitronic, Neuspeed, etc. One of the most popular options is the AWE Track system.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
^This.
If I had all the $$ to (willingly) spend, I'd have gotten the Remus. Previous choice would be AWE Touring, sound is good, but still some drone on the highway. The TCR is starting to really sound nice, the tinnyness is definitely going away. No drone at all on the highway and I'm not going to wake up all the neighbors at 6am when I eventually have to go back to the office.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Plenty of options out there. AWE, APR, CTS, Magnaflow, XForce, Borla, Unitronic, Neuspeed, etc. One of the most popular options is the AWE Track system.

Well the main thing is I don't want to spend much. I'll probably get an MK8 in a few years. My 2018 is still stock, the only real things I have planned are a stage 1 tune and slightly better sounding exhaust.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Just found another mod I “must” do. When I test drove a 2017 R before I bought my 18 GTI, I love the growl of that car. I don’t want something loud and annoying but the TCR exhaust sounds like the perfect amount.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Anyone know if the TCR muffler provides any power gains? It's obviously a great bang for buck upgrade.

Stupid question, but what's the difference between this and the AWE exhaust system? Or a Borla? I'm not asking in terms of build quality or sound or build quality, but I think the AWE is what you call cat-back? Or am I mixing something up?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Anyone know if the TCR muffler provides any power gains? It's obviously a great bang for buck upgrade.

Stupid question, but what's the difference between this and the AWE exhaust system? Or a Borla? I'm not asking in terms of build quality or sound or build quality, but I think the AWE is what you call cat-back? Or am I mixing something up?
There's no noticeable power gains from a muffler swap. Just sound. The exhaust brands you mentioned are all both called catbacks. Although you could just get a Borla muffler for your existing exhaust system and either weld or clamp it in.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/lzlljb
Sound clip for those I interested ^

definitely agree that inside the cabin the best way to describe it is like the soundaktor on max but coming from the right location. Louder on cold start. No drone and barely noticeable passed 2500 rpm.

only bummer is no DSG farts for me. Maybe in time once it’s “worn in” but let’s see

The description of soundaktor at full volume, but coming from the right location is 100% spot on. I can actually hear it with the windows down.

I have an 18, so the burbles and burps are present on nearly all gear changes. I'm about 600 miles in, the burps are starting to get a little snappy, but not that straight-piped gunshot snappy.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Has anyone w/ stock downpipe + TCR muffler swapped in a vibrant resonator in place of the stock one? Looking for sound clips

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Can I ask why you would do this? There is no drone at all with mine with a stock DP so the vibrant resonator addition doesn't seem needed at all.
I'm wondering if it changes volume or tone above 3000 rpm. The gf is giving me side eyes lol

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I'm wondering if it changes volume or tone above 3000 rpm. The gf is giving me side eyes lol
Hahaha that's why you gotta keep these thoughts silent and on the forum only! And now I'm kinda curious. Mine has definitely mellowed out a bit since putting some miles on. Still love it though lol

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Thinking about ordering one of these for my 2019, but I see that the oem exhaust is 60mm whereas the TCR piping is 65mm. I would rather use a clamp than have it welded, but I can't seem to find any reducers between those size or an adaptor.

Has anyone with the 60mm stock exhaust had any luck as far as clamps/adaptors go?

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Hahaha that's why you gotta keep these thoughts silent and on the forum only! And now I'm kinda curious. Mine has definitely mellowed out a bit since putting some miles on. Still love it though lol
It mellowed out? I'm pretty sure mine got louder after a while