GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
IMO I am not fond of a device vibrating my dash/windshield to simulate an exhaust note. Id prefer the kind that pumps noise into the cabin because thats easy to block off (Its also easy to unplug the soundaktor). And its worlds better than the one that pumps noise through the speakers.

It'd be nice to have a real exhaust note and maybe a little intake sound. Thats all I plan to really do to this car.

It's actually using your windshield as a speaker to play back your engine sound.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
It's actually using your windshield as a speaker to play back your engine sound.
I still prefer real engine/exhaust sounds. Make it quite or sporty but dont make it fake to make me feel like there is a sporty exhaust. Thats just silly. Mine is set to eco on custom so I dont hear much of it. I also havent gone full ham through the gears yet at 400 miles on the ODO.

ricola_mk7.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Mk7.5 GTI
I've had a few people think I have a engine bay exhaust leak because of the soundaktor, its makes it sound like there's no sound dampening behind the dash. I'll turn it off if the TCR muffler is enough, but likely not.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've had a few people think I have a engine bay exhaust leak because of the soundaktor, its makes it sound like there's no sound dampening behind the dash. I'll turn it off if the TCR muffler is enough, but likely not.

I'm interested in how the TCR is WOT , 45-55 mph and 70-80 mph with cruise control on. I find myself at those cruising speeds the most and it's loudish at WOT, but near stock in cruising at common cruise speeds then it seems like a good choice.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I still prefer real engine/exhaust sounds. Make it quite or sporty but dont make it fake to make me feel like there is a sporty exhaust. Thats just silly. Mine is set to eco on custom so I dont hear much of it. I also havent gone full ham through the gears yet at 400 miles on the ODO.

I would prefer real sounds, but on this engine the sounds you get (at your own considerable expense) can be loud but not quite in the realm of good.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I do too, but I understand why they make it fake - because they are trying to give the car owner an in cabin experience of sound while having a relatively well insulated cabin - without having an external exhaust that is too loud in order to be heard inside.
Interestingly enough, louder exhausts (some featuring pops and bangs) have now become a thing.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
So I've put about 800 miles on the TCR muffler now and its more burbly on cold star. It has definitely gotten deeper. I just drove a bunch of family from out of town all over the place, and its the perfect amonut of noise for a daily driver. Can still have conversations in the car, and it sounds a bit meaner. Like I said before, its about the same volume as the Soundaktor in sport mode.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
And at highway speeds, same as Soundaktor at 100%? Thanks

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
So I've put about 800 miles on the TCR muffler now and its more burbly on cold star. It has definitely gotten deeper. I just drove a bunch of family from out of town all over the place, and its the perfect amonut of noise for a daily driver. Can still have conversations in the car, and it sounds a bit meaner. Like I said before, its about the same volume as the Soundaktor in sport mode.

I appreciate that it's the same volume, but it is a different overall sound right?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Well I have winter tires on right now, so thats most of my highway noise. Same volume as soundaktor, but real engine sound. No drone on the highway. Pretty much sounds stock unless its the cold start, or full throttle.