GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
Received my TCR muffler on Monday, and got in welded in by a local exhaust shop for $88 out the door yesterday. Its.... very quiet. To me it sounds like I just unmutted the soundaktor. Its just noticibly louder than stock to GTI owners, but no one else will know you changed out your muffler. My wife definitely didn't notice. Also I couldnt hear any DSG Farts. Muffler, shipping, and install included I'm at about $500. I kind of wish I had just picked up a AWE Track exhaust during their black Friday/winter sale.
Thats........... disappointing. Especially after pjp7212, the starter of this thread said he got rid of his because it was to loud. Hopefully with res deleted it will sound nice. If not maybe I will be doing a tune and downpipe earlier than planned. Uni Stage 2 with MAP GESI and resonated downpipe maybe. I really will try to post videos in every configuration I end up using(I'm by no means a YouTuber or anything like that, bit I'll do my best to make it work for you guys.) Again for those who haven't followed this thread closely, I'll be running with the factory downpipe and resonator delete as of now. After reading this, I'm having second thoughts. Hopefully I'll fall in love unlike the above post.

ricola_mk7.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Mk7.5 GTI
Received my TCR muffler on Monday, and got in welded in by a local exhaust shop for $88 out the door yesterday. Its.... very quiet. To me it sounds like I just unmutted the soundaktor. Its just noticibly louder than stock to GTI owners, but no one else will know you changed out your muffler. My wife definitely didn't notice. Also I couldnt hear any DSG Farts. Muffler, shipping, and install included I'm at about $500. I kind of wish I had just picked up a AWE Track exhaust during their black Friday/winter sale.

How disappointing is it? Can you at least hear your exhaust in the cabin now or with the windows down? Drone or different tone?

Now I'm kinda of worried :unsure:

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016

On post 9, i described the exhaust. Not sure if you saw it before you bought yours.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...talled-a-tcr-exhaust-yet.371070/#post-7387808
I actually like how it is just mildly louder than stock. Maybe i'm getting old(32) and just prefer something quieter ;) Initially, i did think it wasn't loud enough and had a little regret buying it but now, i'm actually very happy and content. I wouldn't want it any other way right now. There are plenty of mk7 folks with loud exhausts near me and im glad this TCR exhaust isnt like those.
My GTI is a manual and i do hear some subtle pops when decelerating and letting off the gas. Kinda cool but not obnoxious like those guys with the pop tunes.

Video of the TCR exhaust mated to a 2018 GTI. Just an axleback swap...everything in the exhaust system is stock
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qghsxKQdQHagRuNbhbpXxW6HWoGOUOuH

Last edited:

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
How disappointing is it? Can you at least hear your exhaust in the cabin now or with the windows down? Drone or different tone?

Now I'm kinda of worried :unsure:
You can hear the exhaust from inside the cabin with the windows up or down. It is very mild. Kinda sounds like the soundaktor but on steroids haha

.clipse

Thats........... disappointing. Especially after pjp7212, the starter of this thread said he got rid of his because it was to loud. Hopefully with res deleted it will sound nice. If not maybe I will be doing a tune and downpipe earlier than planned. Uni Stage 2 with MAP GESI and resonated downpipe maybe. I really will try to post videos in every configuration I end up using(I'm by no means a YouTuber or anything like that, bit I'll do my best to make it work for you guys.) Again for those who haven't followed this thread closely, I'll be running with the factory downpipe and resonator delete as of now. After reading this, I'm having second thoughts. Hopefully I'll fall in love unlike the above post.

This is the way. Was looking to run the TCR muffler with a resonator delete. Looking forward to sound clips.

For the sound to cost ratio, you really can't beat a muffler delete.

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
You can hear the exhaust from inside the cabin with the windows up or down. It is very mild. Kinda sounds like the soundaktor but on steroids haha
Just got back from drive with soundaktor. Plugged that damn thing in just to here what you were talking about. Has been unplugged since week one(Dec 2018). Needless to say it's unplugged again. Don't put that kind of juju on me, it better not sound like that ?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Everyone with the CSS muffler said that it gets louder after about 1,000 or so miles. Give it time and report back to us.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
On post 9, i described the exhaust. Not sure if you saw it before you bought yours.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...talled-a-tcr-exhaust-yet.371070/#post-7387808
I actually like how it is just mildly louder than stock. Maybe i'm getting old(32) and just prefer something quieter ;) Initially, i did think it wasn't loud enough and had a little regret buying it but now, i'm actually very happy and content. I wouldn't want it any other way right now. There are plenty of mk7 folks with loud exhausts near me and im glad this TCR exhaust isnt like those.
My GTI is a manual and i do hear some subtle pops when decelerating and letting off the gas. Kinda cool but not obnoxious like those guys with the pop tunes.

Video of the TCR exhaust mated to a 2018 GTI. Just an axleback swap...everything in the exhaust system is stock

That sounds good to me. Especially at idle and on the drive off. Maybe I’m getting old too.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie

Dang that sounds nice (Im 38..almost 39 lol).

ottothecow

I like the sound of this.

Any further confirmation on fitment issues with a rabbit edition? Can it be installed with a clamp or am I going to need to expand my existing tubing?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
If you are going that route, you could remove the packing from your stock muffler and save a few hundred bucks.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I am hoping it will get deeper with time. I'm 30 years old and dont necessarily want the car to be louder, I want it to sound more sporty. I had the HKS Euro-Sport exhaust on my MK5 GTI. I was hoping for a sound similar to this. To me it just sounded like a factory sports car if that makes sense.
My buddy who is a mechanic loved the sound so much that he posted a video of it on his youtube channel.
1581618149715.png

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I am hoping it will get deeper with time. I'm 30 years old and dont necessarily want the car to be louder, I want it to sound more sporty. I had the HKS Euro-Sport exhaust on my MK5 GTI. I was hoping for a sound similar to this. To me it just sounded like a factory sports car if that makes sense.
My buddy who is a mechanic loved the sound so much that he posted a video of it on his youtube channel.
View attachment 165369

That's pretty loud, imo. If you're okay with this tone, you should look into the AWE track edition.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Soundaktor doesnt sound that bad.

IMO I am not fond of a device vibrating my dash/windshield to simulate an exhaust note. Id prefer the kind that pumps noise into the cabin because thats easy to block off (Its also easy to unplug the soundaktor). And its worlds better than the one that pumps noise through the speakers.

It'd be nice to have a real exhaust note and maybe a little intake sound. Thats all I plan to really do to this car.