GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a MK7 last year with all the stage 2 bits but no tuner with it... How do I tell if it has a tune and how should I go about re-tuning?

Cberard

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
Hey y'all. Bought my 2016 Mk7 Gti last October and I'm just now getting into wanting to add more power. I just replaced the clutch with a DKM stage 2 setup in September (due to typical stock gti clutch slip) I bought the car with around 59k miles, it has a CTS downpipe, CTS inlet pipe, injen intake, custom center exhaust due to r400 rear bumper. I cannot tell if it's tuned or not though. I bought the car through dealership and it didn't come with a tuner device of any sort. I'm confused as to whether the tune was removed from the car, if the device was unmarried, or if there is still a tune on the car and the tuner is floating somewhere in the US still married to my car. How do y'all figure this out. The car does run rough idle at times, but I've reliably driven it for a year (highway miles). I was thinking that maybe the car runs a little rough due to not having a tune and having all the stage 2 bits on it. But no check engine lights are on and never have been. Although I've had the car for a year, I'm very new to euro cars in general and looking for insight. I want to eventually buy a tuner and have the car remapped and have plugs and coils upgraded to red tops. Just trying to make sure I'm not hurting the car by having improper tuning in place. It definitely feels faster than stock but seems to lack behind my friends stage 2 mk7s and mine still has that 120mph speed limiter. Let me know your thoughts.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
If you're running the CTS downpipe without a CEL you probably have a tune, especially if you've gone a year without a light coming on at all, because even with a sensor spacer you'd probably have it light up once or twice.

Technically speaking, if you buy an accessport for your car and install it, it's going to take whatever your current ECU setup is and save it as "stock." You can still reflash to any tune you want, but know that when you uninstall the accessport or flash back to the "Stage 0" stock file, it's reverting to whatever the car was when you installed it, which in your case is whatever tune you have now.

My guess is that it has a basic stage 2 tune or even a stage 1 that disabled the O2 CEL (If that even exists). If your friend's car is definitely stage 2 and feels faster, you can probably match him or beat him with an accessport and a good stage 2 file.

Cberard

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
That would make so much sense, I didn't know that. I knew I would have to save for an accessport eventually, just havent been ready to fork that kind of money up for one. But the car will need it to get the numbers/efficiency I'm chasing; and the mods I plan to add. I wish the previous owner would have left his tuner with the car but I guess he'd get his money back to sell it 2nd hand.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
You can also call the major tuning companies with your VIN and they'll tell you if they flashed it or not. I'd start with APR.

Red top coils are not necessary.