GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a High Mileage GTI

njmk7

Car(s)
18 GTI, 21 Ram 1500
Hi All,

I just bought a 2018 VW GTI S 6 spd from a friend of mine with 125k miles. He got the car new and has had it dealer serviced its whole life. I am a little nervous now reading about timing chain and other work that it may need. I will ask for more maintenance records when I drop it for an oil change at the dealer. I had a 2006 3.6 Passat and it lost timing and a 2006 Touareg which was a beast but cost thousands every other month to maintain. I daily drive a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie and I bought this as a fun car.

From my understanding I probably need to do some spark plugs, which I can do on my own. Can someone please confirm the plugs below are appropriate for this vehicle. I will also change out the air filter and cabin filter.

I appreciate any help and guidance that can be provided.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Double...sprefix=golf+gti+mk7+spark+plug,aps,92&sr=8-3

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hi All,

I just bought a 2018 VW GTI S 6 spd from a friend of mine with 125k miles. He got the car new and has had it dealer serviced its whole life. I am a little nervous now reading about timing chain and other work that it may need. I will ask for more maintenance records when I drop it for an oil change at the dealer. I had a 2006 3.6 Passat and it lost timing and a 2006 Touareg which was a beast but cost thousands every other month to maintain. I daily drive a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie and I bought this as a fun car.

From my understanding I probably need to do some spark plugs, which I can do on my own. Can someone please confirm the plugs below are appropriate for this vehicle. I will also change out the air filter and cabin filter.

I appreciate any help and guidance that can be provided.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Double-Platinum-Spark-Plugs/dp/B09J8XYS42/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KE7XXDVF0G4W&keywords=golf+gti+mk7+spark+plugs&qid=1669055567&sprefix=golf+gti+mk7+spark+plug,aps,92&sr=8-3
Would suggest buying spark plugs from either rockauto or some other reputable seller. Not off Amazon - a popular choice are NGK Rutheniums. Is it tuned at all?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm seeing people hit higher mileage than that without significant issues. The EA888.3 and everything around it is pretty reliable and tested.

Consider changing the oil more often than the 10,000 miles in the owner's manual. 5,000 miles is the recommendation around here to extend the engine's life as much as possible. And you can get an extractor and change your oil yourself really easily, if desired, so the expense isn't much.

njmk7

Car(s)
18 GTI, 21 Ram 1500
Would suggest buying spark plugs from either rockauto or some other reputable seller. Not off Amazon - a popular choice are NGK Rutheniums. Is it tuned at all?
No tune. I have a $100 amazon gift card so I wanted to cash in on that. I will look to see if there are NGK for sale on Amazon.

I'm seeing people hit higher mileage than that without significant issues. The EA888.3 and everything around it is pretty reliable and tested.

Consider changing the oil more often than the 10,000 miles in the owner's manual. 5,000 miles is the recommendation around here to extend the engine's life as much as possible. And you can get an extractor and change your oil yourself really easily, if desired, so the expense isn't much.
It is sort of just worth it to me to pay someone to do it. I can work in the time it would take me to change the oil and then dispose of the old oil and that would exceed the cost of the oil change so for me it doesn't make sense. But I can do the 5k instead of 10k. I am pretty sure my friend just went whenever it said change oil. He isn't too into cars, he just went to the dealer when the car told him and did whatever the dealer said.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
No tune. I have a $100 amazon gift card so I wanted to cash in on that. I will look to see if there are NGK for sale on Amazon.

It is sort of just worth it to me to pay someone to do it. I can work in the time it would take me to change the oil and then dispose of the old oil and that would exceed the cost of the oil change so for me it doesn't make sense. But I can do the 5k instead of 10k. I am pretty sure my friend just went whenever it said change oil. He isn't too into cars, he just went to the dealer when the car told him and did whatever the dealer said.
The reason I said to not use Amazon is because there's no vetting of the spark plugs - anyone can sell on Amazon - so you run the risk of counterfeit plugs. Rockauto should be pretty cheap <40 bucks for all 4 plugs.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah dude that's fine too! Oil changes at 10,000 miles isn't hurting anything most likely, especially if the car isn't driven super hard. But now that you have higher miles, 5k changes would be smart. It's about protecting the turbo too.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah dude that's fine too! Oil changes at 10,000 miles isn't hurting anything most likely, especially if the car isn't driven super hard. But now that you have higher miles, 5k changes would be smart. It's about protecting the turbo too.

Or get an oil analysis and know for certain.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Timing chain should not be a concern. I also vote for 5000mi OCIs.

njmk7

Car(s)
18 GTI, 21 Ram 1500
I will 100% start doing 5,000 mile services. I am starting that on my 2019 XC90 too since it is crossing over 60k miles now and I figure it is cheap insurance.

What should I do to protect the turbo?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I will 100% start doing 5,000 mile services. I am starting that on my 2019 XC90 too since it is crossing over 60k miles now and I figure it is cheap insurance.

What should I do to protect the turbo?

Wait till oil is up to temp before really hammering on it.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2018 GTI with 120,000 miles so similar situation except I’ve owned mine since new. No indication of the timing chain tensioner yet. At 85,000 miles I had the coolant and plugs changed. Oil changes every 10,000 miles. I’m not anticipating any major expenses although I’ll likely do the tensioner in the next 5000 miles.

rogers1323

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Without having looked in my manual yet (I know, I'll go look), is there a recommended service interval for the timing chain and/or tensioner? Or is that one of those extra items that we enthusiasts do like changing the manual transmission fluid?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Without having looked in my manual yet (I know, I'll go look), is there a recommended service interval for the timing chain and/or tensioner?
No