GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Both 12v socket/cigarette lighters not working

Randallgod

I recently bought a 2013 golf tsi high line. Both 12v sockets were working.
They have both stopped working. I suspect it could be a blown fuse.
Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

CdnX

Ready to race!
Shouldn't be to difficult to check your fuses. Most panels have some labelling or your owners manual may have the fuses labeled. Pull the fuse and it'll be pretty obvious if it has burned.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Owners manual shows what fuse does what and its location.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I recently bought a 2013 golf tsi high line. Both 12v sockets were working.
They have both stopped working. I suspect it could be a blown fuse.
Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

It’s fuse F40, yellow color. You will find it behind the small ”glove box” on the left side, to the left of the steering wheel (DE car = steering on left side).
You need to remove the glove box.

/Peter

PS You can also move it to get constant feed.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=266433.0

Derf

Ready to race!
My 2016 MK7 GTI has two front lighter sockets (12V), one next to the parking brake, one in the center arm rest cubby. Both USED to work, however, recently neither one worked. I had done the mod to move fuse F40 (Yellow 20A) so there was constant power. I checked the fuse, and it turned out to be blown. I wonder what caused this, as the only thing I've plugged in so far was a USB adapter to the arm-rest 12V socket, which I used to charge my iPhone 6 while the car was off, and a radar detector to the 12V by the parking brake while the car was running. I swapped the 20A fuse with a 25A, and all worked again. I wish there were some spare fuses behind the compartment door just in case this problem occurred while I was out on the road.

Last edited:

hal

Ready to race!
I think the most common reason for this is small coins or keys going in and shorting the sockets.

Or, of course, bad chargers.

MarcA

Ready to race!
I plugged something into mine this week end and it's blown the 20 amp fuse.. replaced it and still have no power. Anyone have any ideas ? Going to re check tomorrow I have putility it back into the correct place 100%etc but sure I won't have made such a mistake..

starfield

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6L tdi
I have a Mk7. The 20A cigarette lighter fuse blew the other day when I connected a tyre pump. I got it sorted and it was working fine. Today, I connected my phone via a usb charger and it blew again. There are no coins or debris inside to short the circuit. Anybody know what could be causing that?

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Girlfriends golf has started doing this, keeps eating 20's. Any idea what would keep blowing the fuse? Worked for a few weeks with the iPhone charger she has but now they just blow every time she tries to use it.

Front socket looks dirty so maybe it needs to be cleaned? No coins or anything stuck in there.