GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boot LED light installed

I've just fitted the new 39mm 6 element led festoon bulbs to the vanity lights, and I must say they're much better than the 49mm 16 element ones I tried (far too bright).

Essjay, you beat me to it. Just fitted some 39mm 9 led jobbies, that I got from here, to my vanity lights, taking photo's. Here are my before and afters:

They are a real improvement, light wise, and match the led interior lights, so double good! :) :)

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
I've just fitted the new 39mm 6 element led festoon bulbs to the vanity lights, and I must say they're much better than the 49mm 16 element ones I tried (far too bright).
These are the bulbs I used:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-6-LED-38mm-39mm-XENON-WHITE-NUMBER-PLATE-INTERIOR-LIGHT-FESTOON-BULB-/330853653892?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

I fitted the 16 LED bulbs to the GTD over the weekend. Boot and 2 vanity mirrors ..... it was daytime and tonight was the first time I had seen them after dark.

Boot is really perfect.... lights up well and complements the interior lights. BUT, the vanity mirrors are way too bright. I've orered 2 sets of these for mine and the wife's cars.

Great find and thanks for posting.

Anyone found a replacement for the tiny bulb in the glove box yet???

Also just did the boot light mod with a 42mm 16 led unit. Yet to see it in the dark, but it seems nice and bright. Very easy, worthwhile mod. Thanks for the advice on here. Saved me some fiddling time! ;)

veew

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, does the 42mm 16 led unit increase the brightness compared to the standard bulb? I'm hoping it does as I find the standard bulb doesn't illuminate the boot area as well as I would've liked. It would've been nice if they had boot lamps on each side of the boot.

The 16 led bulb improves the light in the boot quite a bit, but it's still not great. Another lamp on the other side would be much better. Could be a popular mod, but a symmetrical solution is not possible, as the mouldings under the shelf sides are different.

veew

Passed Driver's Ed

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Did this with an 8 segment LED yesterday - but its not light enough. Ordered the larger 16 segment type today so will try that instead - hopefully a lot brighter!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Update - lights came but 39mm instead of 42mm! Bent the connectors a bit so LED fitted. looking forward to seeing the result after dark....

veew

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Mark, do you mind taking some photos? I tried bending the connectors but didn't want to over do it so left the stock bulbs in.

veew

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I tried bending the connector to fit the 39mm led tonight but found that it wasn't much of a secure fit, the LED would swivel quite easily on the connectors and I suspect could self-eject if I went over a bump hard enough.

I did notice the LED in the boot is partly on even when the boot is closed, it goes off when the car has been locked. I assume I don't need to even worry about it but would be nice to know for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1s-X3oPxFg&feature=youtu.be

I've just ordered these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111316754496) so will do before and after photos in due time, I'm hoping they are significantly brighter than the stock bulbs.