GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boosting on a Budget- 19birel's MK7.5 Build

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Simos Tools is the way regardless of which turbo you choose. You can buy a very fairly priced tune from 8 Bit Performance if you want to avoid the tuning yourself but get the logging benefits. I did it at first and started tuning myself after the VIR trip. It’s a lot of fun as well. There info in my thread about it.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Used Autotech HPFP + used IS38 + used AP. 350+400(idk)+6-700.

Not bad as far as price. Could also go straight to EQT, they offer a pretty sweet deal if you get their IS38, tune is cheap with it. And you can resell the AP - so not a sunk cost.
Yeah that's definitely not a bad route, I was unaware of EQT's tune deal with their is38 which is a really nice savings too. Definitely something I'll keep in mind.
Simos Tools is the way regardless of which turbo you choose. You can buy a very fairly priced tune from 8 Bit Performance if you want to avoid the tuning yourself but get the logging benefits. I did it at first and started tuning myself after the VIR trip. It’s a lot of fun as well. There info in my thread about it.
I'll have to do a deeper dive on Simos. I've wanted to try tuning a car myself for a while, but it's not a path I've really considered for this car. I'll have to read up and see how comfortable I would feel making my own tune

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So I did a little testing with the JB4, 60-120 because the speed limiter is still in place

Recap of the stock results.
60-120 the Stock GTI ran 17.68
My Stage 2+ B8.5 A4 16.91

Updated Data
GTI JB4 Map 5 w/E30ish 12.45
GTI JB4 Map 3 93oct 14.10 *this was literally my third pull after installing the JB4, I'd like to do another run to confirm it wasn't still adapting*

The run on Map 5 seems pretty comparable to stage 1 from what I understand, I ran a 1/4mile after and actually hit a failsafe this time (not the speed limiter lol) and it killed the run. I question the quality of the E85 I blended, will get an ethanol tester before I play with E again. I'll probably end up doing some logs on Map 3 w/93oct and dial in a Map 6.

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So I decided to make myself a tentative track schedule for this season. When I got the car, one or two events was the goal but obviously that has changed. I think I'd like to get in at least two more events before I start down the rabbit hole of the turbo. Then I'll embark on the journey of the turbo and supporting mods, and then round out the season with one or two more events.

Right now I'm thinking

SCCA @ Summit Point- April 30th (only ~4hrs away so I can leave after work Saturday and run Sunday)

AutoInterests @ Pittsburgh International Race Complex- May 21st (Very up in the air because it's the week before VIR but this is only 30minutes away me, and the Wilson Circuit is my home kart track so getting on the North Track will be cool though)

Tidewater Sports Car Club @ Virginia International Raceway- May 27-28 (last time I didn't really start getting consistent with my times until sunday in the rain, so I'd like another go in the dry to see how I can do!)

After this I'll do the turbo upgrade and whatever supporting mods I haven't tackled yet. Following that I'd like to do one relatively local event as a shake down to make sure I don't run into any issues with the new setup. Then I'd love to make it to an event at Limerock or Watkins Glen this year. That would make for a 6 event season if you include my last outing at VIR which I think is pretty solid.

Also I'm contemplating a catch can, my car burned ~1qt of oil at the track that weekend I put ~1,200 miles on the car, and since topping it off afterwards I have done about 1k miles most of which have been rather hard and not a drop has been burned (knock on wood). I'm wondering if a PCV design flaw is causing an increase in crank pressure resulting in the oil loss, something that could be mitigated with a catch can setup? I think the PCV issues the early cars had still exist on these newer ones, just not to the extent of big plumes of smoke being created on track.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Latest mod, just a fun novelty. Since the base Macan also uses the EA888.3 the cover fits well, I feel like it shows how much of a VAG parts bin special these cars are

Just had to do a little trimming to accomadate this coolant line

Also dropped my ECS street shield and washed all the winter grot off it so it's easier to identify any potential leaks down the road. Whilst under the car I also looked at the insides of the rotors and there a small lip on them. I think I can ride them out for another track day or two then I'll replace them.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Would highly suggest smoothing that edge so it doesn't make a hole in that hose.
Yeah I took that pic while I was still trimming material and forgot to take one finished at that angle. Rest assured, no user induced coolant leaks will result from this escapade!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you're tracking, just throw that plastic away.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Also I'm contemplating a catch can, my car burned ~1qt of oil at the track that weekend I put ~1,200 miles on the car, and since topping it off afterwards I have done about 1k miles most of which have been rather hard and not a drop has been burned (knock on wood). I'm wondering if a PCV design flaw is causing an increase in crank pressure resulting in the oil loss, something that could be mitigated with a catch can setup? I think the PCV issues the early cars had still exist on these newer ones, just not to the extent of big plumes of smoke being created on track.
All of the PCV options have drawbacks. For a stock turbo car with heavy braking, the BL PCV with a catch can is a good idea. Not a guarantee, though. The AP/BM PCV seems to have a more direct return to the intake manifold on the front, which is why those seem to perform worse with high forward G's.

Some folks have had success with the Mk8 PCV (usable via the 2021 Tiguan inlet hose and an unused PCV sensor); it looks like it should hold up to more pressure but I'm skeptical the improvements will be realized without the Mk8 turbo venturi port.

I was a believer in the APR plate until I blew out a turbo seal, had a leaking oil cap, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a leaking RMS next oil change. Oh, and the plate is leaking too, despite having the revised design.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
All of the PCV options have drawbacks. For a stock turbo car with heavy braking, the BL PCV with a catch can is a good idea. Not a guarantee, though. The AP/BM PCV seems to have a more direct return to the intake manifold on the front, which is why those seem to perform worse with high forward G's.

Some folks have had success with the Mk8 PCV (usable via the 2021 Tiguan inlet hose and an unused PCV sensor); it looks like it should hold up to more pressure but I'm skeptical the improvements will be realized without the Mk8 turbo venturi port.

I was a believer in the APR plate until I blew out a turbo seal, had a leaking oil cap, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a leaking RMS next oil change. Oh, and the plate is leaking too, despite having the revised design.
I was looking at picking up a Racingline setup, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) the plate they use looks fairly similar in design to the APR plate so there is a good chance I end up with the same blown seal issues as you. A lot of teams & folks that run these as dedicated race cars seem to like the Racingline catch can, but that doesn't guarantee they're trouble free.

Seems like maintaining the stock PCV with either a Forge or BMS catch can might be the best bet

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I know that @Mini7 had problems with filling his VWR can repeatedly. He's running APR now without issues as far as I know.

Could be @scrllock has a bad one?

I'm on the AP revision PCV and haven't had issues yet, though I burned about 0.5qt at the last event total. Previously (stock tune) it was essentially nothing perceptible.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The APR plate is definitely a slightly better design (retains another relief drain). I had nearly no oil in the can in the summer with it (this isn't necessarily a good thing. But it doesn't vent all that well to the can (which is likely why I saw so little oil). I think a modified VWR plate (adding the drainback that APR has, which some have done) might be an improvement, but it's easier to just run an OE PCV.
Keep in mind the TCR racecar runs a blockoff plate as well, but also connects it to an AOS with a drain to the pan. And those cars don't have concerns about seals lasting 100k, they're intended to have the motor rebuilt every season or two.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I know that @Mini7 had problems with filling his VWR can repeatedly. He's running APR now without issues as far as I know.

Could be @scrllock has a bad one?

I'm on the AP revision PCV and haven't had issues yet, though I burned about 0.5qt at the last event total. Previously (stock tune) it was essentially nothing perceptible.
I'll have to check which revision of the PCV my car has, updating it could certainly help. Probably going to switch oil too though idk whether or not that will help much with this specifically.

There was a lot of discussion about this over on the B8 A4 forums on zine with folks arguing against catch cans for the same reason with some pretty detailed explanation as to why the issues occur so it's not a shock that the same drawbacks are present here. If I can find the thread I'll link it, lots of great information about why the block off plates could cause issue.
The APR plate is definitely a slightly better design (retains another relief drain). I had nearly no oil in the can in the summer with it (this isn't necessarily a good thing. But it doesn't vent all that well to the can (which is likely why I saw so little oil). I think a modified VWR plate (adding the drainback that APR has, which some have done) might be an improvement, but it's easier to just run an OE PCV.
Keep in mind the TCR racecar runs a blockoff plate as well, but also connects it to an AOS with a drain to the pan. And those cars don't have concerns about seals lasting 100k, they're intended to have the motor rebuilt every season or two.
Yeah those seals are probably replaced seasonally on the race cars making it a non-issue in that application. Stock PCV seem like the play, and I think I saw the Forge catch can on sale somewhere so I'll probably grab one of those to install ahead of my next track day.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'll have to check which revision of the PCV my car has, updating it could certainly help. Probably going to switch oil too though idk whether or not that will help much with this specifically.

There was a lot of discussion about this over on the B8 A4 forums on zine with folks arguing against catch cans for the same reason with some pretty detailed explanation as to why the issues occur so it's not a shock that the same drawbacks are present here. If I can find the thread I'll link it, lots of great information about why the block off plates could cause issue.

Yeah those seals are probably replaced seasonally on the race cars making it a non-issue in that application. Stock PCV seem like the play, and I think I saw the Forge catch can on sale somewhere so I'll probably grab one of those to install ahead of my next track day.
The only inherent drawbacks to catch cans are winter usage and maintenance. I'd say most of the can-only options on the market suck in other various ways, mostly related to hose routing when you're using the back port. You're kinda forced to route the house over the turbo and hope your heat wrap is enough to keep the line from melting. The couple options on the market that put a can on the driver side have their own issues.

I might have some more lines made to use the ECS -10AN adapters with my VWR can, haven't decided yet.