GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boosting on a Budget- 19birel's MK7.5 Build

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
DTR owner here - the launch was bumpy for the early adopters.

I went from stage 1 to DTR, no real complaints - it’s still FWD, the tune is conservative wrt boost by gear for 1 & 2 - you’re essentially running stage 1 times there. 3rd gear and up is where the money is.

Sticking with stock downpipe keeps my car on the quieter side (condensed city neighborhood, I frequently leave the house around 5am during the week), no CEL worries (don’t want to jump through inspection hoops), lessened risk of drone, etc

Happy with it? So far yes, back on all seasons for the winter so it’s spin city atm

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
You know my recommendation: just track it as-is! Way too many people make the mistake if throwing shit at their car and then when they finally do get on track, the rest of it is woefully unprepared.

Come out to VIR in February and you'll see:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...rginia-international-raceway-tidewater-120123

A buddy of mine bought a stage 1 Golf R that was nearly stock beginning of this year otherwise. $3000 worth of radiators/coolers/etc later it's finally reliable enough to get through a full session without crazy oil temps.

I would recommend an intercooler before any kind of tuning honestly. A heat soaked (which happens in a single hard lap) stock intercooler stage 1 car is only about 2mph faster at the end of the straights vs a stock tune with intercooler FWIW.
Yeah you're right there. I'd like to at least do my first track day in the car on stock power, but part of the goal with the project was to make it fast on the street so bearing in mind what you said I'll have to make sure I get an oil cooler, intercooler, and whatever else to make sure it can survive haha
Great build so far ! keep it up
Thanks man!
DTR owner here - the launch was bumpy for the early adopters.

I went from stage 1 to DTR, no real complaints - it’s still FWD, the tune is conservative wrt boost by gear for 1 & 2 - you’re essentially running stage 1 times there. 3rd gear and up is where the money is.

Sticking with stock downpipe keeps my car on the quieter side (condensed city neighborhood, I frequently leave the house around 5am during the week), no CEL worries (don’t want to jump through inspection hoops), lessened risk of drone, etc

Happy with it? So far yes, back on all seasons for the winter so it’s spin city atm
Yeah from what I've read some of the early adopters had trouble, but there was a big software update and it seems like there haven't been any complaints since.

Glad to hear you're happy with the performance! I understand it's possible to have them flash the awd version of the tune that eliminates the boost by gear too, which seems like a cool option for those running grippier rubber. It seems like a great value, as much as I'd like to go with a bigger turbo, spending twice as much to run a Vortex doesn't necessarily seem like it will make the car twice as fun as with DTR.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Get an intercooler and bring it out!

For what it's worth, I think the DTR will be fantastic for track stuff because of the huge exhaust housing. A bit laggier but considerably less heat. I think it would be a top choice for myself if I wanted almost double stock power levels.
I definitely plan to make it out! Once the dust settles from this month at work I'll make the arrangements. I need to order up some pads and brake fluid as well as a cheap lid as I still need to design my next one haha

That's what I was thinking on the temp side of things but wasn't entirely sure, glad to hear you're thinking along the same lines! Given the cost of the setup, and the ability to run stock dp, I don't mind living with a little bit of lag haha

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Yeah and if you don't mind a CEL I think a bigger DP would work just fine plus improve spool and response.

FWIW the price for the February event goes up Jan 1 from $525 to $575 - just a heads up!
I was thinking about rolling the dice on a DP since I finally learned of a 2019+ car that successfully evaded the CEL with a spacer. I have a colleague trying to sell their 034dp, maybe I'll lob him an offer haha.

Since I'm cheap I might just go ahead and signup before hand then haha, thanks for the heads up!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Happy New Year everyone! weather has been a little rough lately which means the Quattro Audi on Sottozeros has been the go-to choice as of late. That said a flat tyre on the A4 required me to bring the GTI out in the snow one day and it was good fun! Surprisingly XDS proved itself quite useful in the snow; the brakes biting at the inside front wheel meant that instead of it hopelessly understeering the rear end would snap around creating easily correctible oversteer. I was planning to disable it, but I think I'll wait until we've seen the last of the snow here.

Ophelia defrosting in the shop at work

Then I did my last mod of 2022, and installed my ECS Bleeder block. This had been delayed a fair bit on ECS so I was surprised to see it even though I had still ordered it a while ago. Super easy install, mucked about with bleeding the clutch but overall a simple process.

With this the clutch is finally the way it should have been from factory. The spring mod I did earlier brings more feel back into the clutch, and this bleeder block eliminates the sensation of the clutch being dragged on aggressive shifts because the fluid flow isn't so restricted.

With the trackday at VIR quickly approaching in February, I need to focus my attention on getting the car ready. Going to register this week and then order a few bits. I'm thinking some more appropriate pads and Motul RBF600 fluid will at least ensure the car's brakes can cope. I'm unfortunately still on the Pirelli P7s for now.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Welp I'm officially registered for VIR in Febuary! So far I've ordered EBC Yellow Stuff pads (I've heard mixed reviews but the best alternatives seemed to be ~$500 a set so these will have to do), Motul RBF 600 brake fluid (I've used this in my karts for years and seems to be recommended for this application too). I also picked up a cheap Zamp full face SA2020 helmet-kinda sucks because my Arai is still good to run at NASA events, but one must pay to play!

Last thing that needs ordered is fresh oil, according to the MyVW app, oil was changed a little less than 4k miles ago. I usually like to run a 5k interval, I also don't want to run the car on track with the 0W-20 the dealership likely put in, so I'll be switching to Liqui Moly Synthoil 0W-40.

Also on the docket is an alignment check at the VW dealership, the car feels fine but given it's history it's worth checking (also going to have them replace the passenger "oh shit" handle though that's not important for the event)

I debated getting some better rubber, but I've already spent enough money so this will be the send-off for the Pirellis (I anticipate they'll be trashed by the end). At least I already have an excuse for being slow!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
My buddy has been looking to replace his wife's car for a while and I kept encouraging him to look at MK7s, the other day he finally pulled the trigger on a lovely 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG so naturally we went out and snapped some pics haha

Some of my track prep has begun arriving, including my basic brake upgrade

My garage is a little too small to do a brake job in, and my dad's garage is consumed by his current project so I'll wait until the weather is slightly more reasonable and toss these in. Also considering picking up a set of RS3 brake ducts, not sure how much they'll help if any, especially given that it will likely be cold out for the track weekend, but they can't hurt. Plenty of time yet to decide on that though

New lid arrived too

Not a fan of looking like a cue ball though so a little vinyl wrap later I had it looking a little less plain

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
RS3 brake ducts arrived, still waiting for the weather to improve enough to throw everything on.

Current predicament is in relation to tyres. I was just going to run the stock all-seasons, but was worried the lack of grip would spoil the fun. Some other members brought up the point that being a "Grand Touring all-season" they might end up chunking apart. VIR is a good 7hrs away and I have no desire to try and limp home on a mutilated tyre, or go through the trouble of sourcing a replacement on a weekend.

I have been browsing market place for another set of wheels already wrapped in suitable rubber, but haven't found anything not on performance all-seasons. Currently I think I might just get some tyres for the stock wheels and swap the P7s back on them for next winter. It's just really hard to rationalize putting summer tyres on when there's snow on the ground without another set to swap to, but unless something pops up that will likely be my move.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I live in Pgh and do about 6-8 PDEs per year with my '16 GTI. I have a number of the mods you are probably considering (in the back of your mind, if not formally!) - BBK, engine mounts, downpipe, stg 2 EQT, WaveTrac, SuperPro front controls arms, sway bars, etc. We need to get together and play with cars! I'd love to let you see/feel how my car drives prior to you making big decisions/purchases. I have been through lots of overheating/limp mode issues on track with running stg 1 and 2 tunes too (still IS20 with no plans for a bigger turbo), but I'm in a pretty good place now and have had my last few events be limp mode free. I started off my journey the same as you...do a couple of mods to address OE shortcomings and make it more fun, so we probably will have a similar approach to what we want out of the car. Plus, my car is my a daily-driver, my wife drives it to work all the time, and my kids ride in it regularly...so it has to stay civil. I'll DM you my number, send me a message and let's chat!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I live in Pgh and do about 6-8 PDEs per year with my '16 GTI. I have a number of the mods you are probably considering (in the back of your mind, if not formally!) - BBK, engine mounts, downpipe, stg 2 EQT, WaveTrac, SuperPro front controls arms, sway bars, etc. We need to get together and play with cars! I'd love to let you see/feel how my car drives prior to you making big decisions/purchases. I have been through lots of overheating/limp mode issues on track with running stg 1 and 2 tunes too (still IS20 with no plans for a bigger turbo), but I'm in a pretty good place now and have had my last few events be limp mode free. I started off my journey the same as you...do a couple of mods to address OE shortcomings and make it more fun, so we probably will have a similar approach to what we want out of the car. Plus, my car is my a daily-driver, my wife drives it to work all the time, and my kids ride in it regularly...so it has to stay civil. I'll DM you my number, send me a message and let's chat!
I'll definitely shoot you a text! It would be awesome to get a point of reference for where the car could end up with some mods, also always great to have some more car friends!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Yesterday I did my brakes, the weather has been pretty lousy here so I determined 40degrees and rainy was the best I was going to get between now and the event. My garage bays are a little to narrow to put the car on jacks inside so I braved the weather in the driveway haha; wasn't terrible!

The biggest surprise was how worn the front pads were, wear indicators were gone! For reference the car now has 20,5xx miles on it

Also noticed that there are no pad wear sensors on the GTI, I usually replace pads before the sensors get tripped once I feel the performance has diminished anyways but they're still nice to have. Also I did the rear pads of course as well, just didn't snap pics, fluid was replaced flushed with RBF 600.

RS3 brake ducts went on too

The pads have a 200mile bed-in period of careful driving ending in a few hard stops, so GTI is on daily driver duty this week to get that out of the way.

I know many who have followed this thread saw my thread in the other sub-forum regarding tyres (Thanks again to everyone who responded!) but to update this thread on that situation, I determined that it made no sense to run the Pirellis, they'd suck, get destroyed, and need replaced anyways following what would likely be a 7hr drive home from the track. So I ordered a set of 245/40/17 Toyo Proxes Sport that I got a screaming deal on and splurged on a set of graphite Apex SM-10 wheels in 17/8.5. Both the wheels and tyres are due to arrive this Thursday!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can retrofit the brake pad wear sensor. The Golf R has it. Though to be honest those guys are usually not to have it, haha.

Lots of vendors sell little wear sensor "delete" plugs. They run about $20. Of course, the simple thing to do is open VCDS or OBDeleven and untick the "brake wear sensor installed" bit. But there's no money in that 😂.

The retrofit is simple... wear sensor plug is two pins... one wire to the BCM, one to ground, and ticking that bit as installed.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
You can retrofit the brake pad wear sensor. The Golf R has it. Though to be honest those guys are usually not to have it, haha.

Lots of vendors sell little wear sensor "delete" plugs. They run about $20. Of course, the simple thing to do is open VCDS or OBDeleven and untick the "brake wear sensor installed" bit. But there's no money in that 😂.

The retrofit is simple... wear sensor plug is two pins... one wire to the BCM, one to ground, and ticking that bit as installed.

Good to know! If I find it difficult to discern how worn the pads are based on feel (now that I have a point of reference with new pads), then I might go ahead and do that.

As I said though, I don't think I've ever replaced the sensor on my A4 for my previous 530i because I'd usually swap them pre-emptively so it might not even be a problem, I guess we'll see!