GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bolts for Winter 'Steel' Wheels ???

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
I know there is already a thread running about winter wheels, but this is a specific question.

I currently have a MK7 2.0 GT TDi with alloy wheels as standard. I have recently purchased a set of 'steel' wheels off a VW Touran, fitted with winter tyres. I have done my homework and it appears all sizes, offsets etc are the same.

My internet searches reveal that some people suggest that I may indeed require a different set of wheel bolts for the steel wheels as my OEM bolts may not fit.

My opinion now seems to be that this is because the face of the alloy ( where it bolts onto the wheel hub ) is much 'thicker' on an alloy compared to a steel wheel. Therefore, the bolt required, need not be as long for a steel wheel compared to an alloy.

UNLESS, of course, the thread in the hub of a MK7 facilitates the travel of the longer bolt.

Bottom line is.... I'm no engineer, but any experts or VW technicians out there who can confirm if I can keep the original factory bolts with my genuine VW steel wheels this winter, or do I now need to trawl ebay for replacements? If it is bad news, what sizes are required?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Remember to torque bolts to 120Nm.

dadu

Ready to race!
There are two types of bolts used: conical and flat/plane. These are conical. That's what you should look for.

Attachments

• stock-photo-wheel-bolts-120461638.jpg
    stock-photo-wheel-bolts-120461638.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 905
Last edited: