GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Did some logs this morning, thought I turned off the "Combine Logs", apparently not. It's just map 1, but does it look pretty normal? Thought I'd email George and maybe get a clutch saver map 6, I'm not really an aggressive driver (most of the time) and only drive 5 or 6k a year so may not even bother.
Also can the log be broken up into individual logs?
Thanks

https://datazap.me/u/scott59/log-1618766214?log=0&data=1-4-5-14-19-26-27-36
Looks ok and yes you can zoom in and link like this: datazap.me | Scott59 | Log 1618766214

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
Hey guys, looking for some guidance. Purchased used and installed jb4.. little nervous about running map 1 being around 6k altitude and only having access to 91 octane. Not too mention it gets HOT in the summer. Big question is, if I just stay on map 1 with no other adjustments will I be fine? I’d ask George to help however gave up that right with buying used. Any input is appreciated.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Hey guys, looking for some guidance. Purchased used and installed jb4.. little nervous about running map 1 being around 6k altitude and only having access to 91 octane. Not too mention it gets HOT in the summer. Big question is, if I just stay on map 1 with no other adjustments will I be fine? I’d ask George to help however gave up that right with buying used. Any input is appreciated.
I think you will be fine. 91 and map 1 go together great.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you want to be sure, make some data logs and post them. If there is an issue, I'm pretty sure it will all show up on the logs. Just make sure that you are not running lean, or that there isn't too much timing pull.

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, this may be a question that has been answered before but I couldnt find an exact answer. Can I run a Downpipe on map 2? And if so should I think about an e30 mix or should I just run 91 gas. I’m in California sadly.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Hey guys, this may be a question that has been answered before but I couldnt find an exact answer. Can I run a Downpipe on map 2? And if so should I think about an e30 mix or should I just run 91 gas. I’m in California sadly.
If you have to ask this question you need to read more before running this setup

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Yes, on all fronts, but you have to log.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
If you have access to E85, send it. Roughly 3 gallons on a complete fill-up with the balance of 91 gives you a pretty good ballpark E30 mix. Your car will likey.

Panpolanski

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Jetta GLI
Just ordered a JB4 with BT module. What should I keep my eyes on when monitoring? (I used to have a Cobb AP on my 2015 WRX and always kept eyes on boost, DAM, knock learn, AFR, etc; is there a similar list of important stuff to look at on the JB4 on my 2019 GLI?). Thanks guys (and gals!).

Last edited:

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The BT allows you to put up a fixed number of gauges from a long list. What you choose depends on what you want to keep an eye on. Timing, boost, IAT are three I couldn't do without.

haste

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'21 GTI SE, '15 FiST
Great thread here guys. I just picked up a 2021 SE trim GTI and am looking for some tuning options. My wife really misses her stage 3 Fiesta ST and the GTI doesn't have the push you back in the seat torque the Fiesta had.

The JB4 is really intriguing because of the installation/removal of it and no trace in the ECU of tuning. I'm looking for a basic tune, probably Map 2.

I'm seeing a lot of info that the JB4 really only kicks in when WOT. My wife rarely drives WOT. Will this tuning device make a difference in power when driving partial throttle?

Panpolanski

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Jetta GLI
The BT allows you to put up a fixed number of gauges from a long list. What you choose depends on what you want to keep an eye on. Timing, boost, IAT are three I couldn't do without.
Thank you for the response, doing further research on this topic also points me to monitoring those parameters. Thoughts on whether running Map 1 on a MK7 GLI with bolt-ons (a K&N intake and MBRP catback exhaust) is ok to do?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Great thread here guys. I just picked up a 2021 SE trim GTI and am looking for some tuning options. My wife really misses her stage 3 Fiesta ST and the GTI doesn't have the push you back in the seat torque the Fiesta had.

The JB4 is really intriguing because of the installation/removal of it and no trace in the ECU of tuning. I'm looking for a basic tune, probably Map 2.

I'm seeing a lot of info that the JB4 really only kicks in when WOT. My wife rarely drives WOT. Will this tuning device make a difference in power when driving partial throttle?
no