GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I have a stock 2017 Golf 1.8T, automatic, with a JB4 currently running 92 octane + Map 6 with settings recommended by George last summer. Been hitting peak 15 psi.

I've read that there's an update, and possibly the use of Map 3 or 4 may be better. My question is should I do this update to 60/86/5, and should I run Map 3 or 4?
Current firmware is 60/85/5.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
@jeffdemara from the first post:

Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB4 does nothing

Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.5psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: This map is a more aggressive map. Peak boost is set to 24psi with a taper down to 16psi at redline.
Map 3: Map three allows the JB4 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB to get this working.
Map 4: This is a stock map but with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.

This may be out of date tho

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
@jeffdemara from the first post:

Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB4 does nothing

Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.5psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: This map is a more aggressive map. Peak boost is set to 24psi with a taper down to 16psi at redline.
Map 3: Map three allows the JB4 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB to get this working.
Map 4: This is a stock map but with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.

This may be out of date tho

CAUTION. This information NOT accurate for the latest firmware. Map 4 is now a boost add map! Map 8 is the valet map.

Also @jeffdemara , there is a JB4 thread in the 1.8 liter section. You'll get better responses there. There are a few guys currently messing with map 6 settings on the 1.8 right now.

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
This is the current JB4 mapping information:
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428
This is also where you download the latest firmware.

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
This is the current JB4 mapping information:
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428
This is also where you download the latest firmware.

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

I recently got a JB4. I'm currently running a Neuspeed module at 5psi. I want to start with Map 2 on the JB4.

How is the JB4 Map 2 different than the 5psi setting on the NPM?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I recently got a JB4. I'm currently running a Neuspeed module at 5psi. I want to start with Map 2 on the JB4.

cant really say unless you know the NPMs actual additives in its codding across the full rpm band, cause the jb4 map 2 is not just 5psi + across the board, and i don't think the NPM would have been either.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I wanted to try the JB4 since I want more top end. The NPM gives some pretty good low end...but you can really feel it running out of breath above 4k. The 7psi and E30 mix helps alot with the NPM...but I don't want to be constantly having to mix my fuel. Hoping the JB4 will give me more top end with 91.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I wanted to try the JB4 since I want more top end. The NPM gives some pretty good low end...but you can really feel it running out of breath above 4k.
You’ll enjoy the JB4 a lot, plus after you run some logs on the map 2 you’ll be able to set up a custom map6... I’m using it on my hybid now with a very neutered setup at still very heavy additives VS stock map up top.
0712D020-7366-4B6C-8834-0DF1B8519343.jpeg

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S

I went from NPM to JB4. NPM is good for what it is but JB4 is much more noticeable in power delivery. I normally run Map 2 for daily driving as it’s a bit punchier down low than my Map 6 (my Map 6 is tailored for max mid to high end). For track days/ HPDE I run Map 1. For autocross, Map 0 for smoother, less punchy power delivery.

As for Map 2 vs NPM +5, Map 2 pulls much harder from a dig and keeps the power coming through the rev range.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
So I installed the JB4 and it’s on map 2 with the latest version of the firmware. I drove the car and it felt like stock. The vacuum at idle was -30...and it’s throwing a Fuel Rail code.

Anyone know what could be the issue?

Also...what is Future Use A? I clicked save on that.

Attachments

• E4BA8BB7-E848-4BE2-A72C-EB3012C24B9D.png
    E4BA8BB7-E848-4BE2-A72C-EB3012C24B9D.png
    759.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
So I installed the JB4 and it’s on map 2 with the latest version of the firmware. I drove the car and it felt like stock. The vacuum at idle was -30...and it’s throwing a Fuel Rail code.

Anyone know what could be the issue?

Also...what is Future Use A? I clicked save on that.
I would say make sure everything is plugged in properly, double check the connections, then triple check, once that is done maybe update the firmware, did you buy second hand?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I would say make sure everything is plugged in properly, double check the connections, then triple check, once that is done maybe update the firmware, did you buy second hand?

I did. From the classifieds. I checked my connections and they are all snug. Posi Tap look to be good.

Car also seems to have a hard time starting.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
The OBD connector only goes in one way right? The wire coming out of the plug is facing me.

Is there a stored log...or do I have to be driving? I'm using a laptop. Which settings? I can take a screen shot.