GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
Map 2 is an additive map, +5 psi over ecu_psi. The point of Map 6 is to adjust, not to keep it at "out of the box" settings...

I understand that Map 2 is an additive map -- but 5 PSI is the PEAK added boost. It is not 5 PSI across the board.

I just installed my JB4 over the weekend. And, I have the bluetooth connect kit. But the app doesn't let you look at the settings for Map 1 or Map 2.

Based on my butt dyno, Map 2 pulls significantly harder than Map 6 in higher gears at higher RPM's. I have a stock 2019 GTI-S; and I'd like to preserve the clutch for as long as I can. Since I don't race my car, or drive overly aggressive, I feel like I can do that. It just so happens that the shipped Map 6 was designed specifically for someone like me.

Anyway, I'd just like to see what the settings are on Map 2, in case I decide to tweak Map 6 myself. Since I bought my JB4 used, I didn't want to bother George with this if I can get some feedback here.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I believe that map 6 may be based off map 2, maybe 1 and ready for adjustment. I don't recall because I don't plan on customizing for a while. Unless you've adjusted it, which it doesn't sound like, the last thing I would do with a used unit is run the adjustable map 6 with the previous owner's settings. Map 6 may just not be as strong because it's pulling timing or something else not really as good for the vehicle. It may also just be setup more benign which would be fine but I wouldn't assume anything without having done it myself.

I think that what you want to do to save your clutch is to reduce boost at lower RPM and gradually raise it to match a standard map up top. If I were you, I'd run map 1, update the FW and drop George a line or ask for specific clutch saving settings here from someone that's tried them.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I understand that Map 2 is an additive map -- but 5 PSI is the PEAK added boost. It is not 5 PSI across the board.

I looked at my Map 2 logs and it’s showing +5 psi target for the entire 3rd gear pull, however this was on older firmware. I can’t comment on the latest firmware but will gladly log and report back.

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
Thank you for the advice. But my "used" JB4 was actually brand new, and never installed. I bought it from someone who kept it for a while, but decided not to use it.

Regardless, the shipped Map 6 settings are readily available for viewing online. So, I know that what I have on mine were not altered.

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
Posted by George on N54Tech.com, in the JB4 for Gen3 VAG Group section...

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended.
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates.
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta).
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.

It's clear to me that the base Map 6 settings are similar to Map 2, but definitely different.

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Octavia RS
Yes, easy to log and see for yourself and make adjustments into Map 6 for what works or doesn't.

This!

Load map 2. Make a full pull in 3rd and look at the value "target".

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the advice. But my "used" JB4 was actually brand new, and never installed. I bought it from someone who kept it for a while, but decided not to use it.

Regardless, the shipped Map 6 settings are readily available for viewing online. So, I know that what I have on mine were not altered.
Nice find. I think the upper ranges of map 6 are very similar or same as map 2. I was a little concerned that your butt dyno noticed a difference there. I've never tried map 6 so carry on and congrats on the purchase.?

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
Apparently the settings on the stock JB4 maps are some sort of secret sauce -- because George didn't seem to want to share them with me. But I did find out that I need to upgrade the firmware if I want the most current map configurations. Mine are apparently outdated.

I was hoping to avoid upgrading the firmware. Knowing my usual luck, something will go wrong & I'll end up with a brick for a JB4.

So, after I do that, I'll try doing some pulls and logging the various maps - then checking the "target" values for each RPM. That seems like a lot of extra effort though. I was hoping to keep this simple & uncomplicated.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Apparently the settings on the stock JB4 maps are some sort of secret sauce -- because George didn't seem to want to share them with me. But I did find out that I need to upgrade the firmware if I want the most current map configurations. Mine are apparently outdated.

I was hoping to avoid upgrading the firmware. Knowing my usual luck, something will go wrong & I'll end up with a brick for a JB4.

So, after I do that, I'll try doing some pulls and logging the various maps - then checking the "target" values for each RPM. That seems like a lot of extra effort though. I was hoping to keep this simple & uncomplicated.
Map 2 target

https://datazap.me/u/chrismk77/jb4-map2?log=0&data=1-3-4
Map 3 target

https://datazap.me/u/chrismk77/jb4-map3?log=0&data=1-3-4&zoom=56-150
My Map 6 target

https://datazap.me/u/chrismk77/jb4-map6-7psi?log=0&data=1-3-4&zoom=236-295

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Octavia RS
That seems like a lot of extra effort though. I was hoping to keep this simple & uncomplicated.

Then map 6 in general isnt something for you because of the "lot of extra effort"...