GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2018 Octavia RS
Since this map 4 is sudgested to be used with 7 speed dsg box for some reason.
Yes but as far I am understanding the description of map 4 it is specific for Golf R or Audi S3.

You will be free to play with the other maps. When you have purchased a JB4, start with a log on map 1 or map 2 and post it on the jb4 logging thread. Then we will see how it will go on

goodvibes

Ready to race!
Not only and is even indicated as such. For instance, when asked, George thought it would be perfect for my DSG Alltrack in hot summers. Map 4 is like Map 3 with a bit less boost beyond peak HP to stave off heat soak, timing pull etc. It will work on other models even though it was tweaked to 7 speed DSG sport models. This was in my post on the last page.
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates. What you'll also find is that these vehicles become individuals once near their limit of tweaking so try 2, 3 and 4 with the gas you'll be using and see which is fastest in the way you'll use it. Normal spirited driving or racing if that's what you do in map 2 to get her hot and then try the others to make sure your normal heat soak is in the equation. Personally I was very happy with map 3 but switched to 4 for peace of mind. I'd need to pay attention before switching back to see if can notice it. May do that in the summer to see if it's worse or better.

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2018 Octavia RS
I've updated to firmware jb4_ea888_8_6 yesterday. For me the part throttle hasn't improved.

For example, your are on part throttle til 3k rpm and than you go wot, it's feeling kind of strange. With the earlier firmware the max boost kicked in very smooth. Now it is digital thing of full boost or nothing. 1 or 0. What could this be?

crxgator

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone else having this issue where the targets aren’t being used despite them being imputed into settings? Like from 4500 up my targets are lower than what they should be.

I don’t mean target vs actual boost. I meant target vs target.
D45DEB88-1C2E-41D0-92B6-F2662CBA507A.jpeg
A0DEBD6E-90F6-4E96-8400-B8BE96F0120A.png

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2018 Octavia RS
That sounds like the nanny... It prevents a target / load over 9-10 psi over ecu_psi. If you want, turn it of by setting 6-Cyl Timing Setting to 1.

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2018 Octavia RS
As far as i know its a BMW thing for using an upgraded tmap sensor. It should be 1. Seems like your are using a different version of the app than me. Or it is because you are using IOS. In my app the thing is called "TMAP Setting"...

Andrewbens

Ready to race!
Ride
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
As far as i know its a BMW thing for using an upgraded tmap sensor. It should be 1. Seems like your are using a different version of the app than me. Or it is because you are using IOS. In my app the thing is called "TMAP Setting"...
yeah probably because iOS I wish this app was pointed more towards the vw croup or we had a different version of the jb4 app.

Also Side note I Ran a 2015 Gti Dsg with downpipe and apr stage 2 high torque file and was able to gap the car about 2 cars I'm running E30 on map 3 with a Downpipe

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
IS38 GTI
Yes, but what are the values per RPM range on Map 2? Straight +5 across the table? I’m interested to know as well.
Yes, easy to log and see for yourself and make adjustments into Map 6 for what works or doesn't.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Ride
2019 GTI S
Yes, easy to log and see for yourself and make adjustments into Map 6 for what works or doesn't.

I already have a customized Map 6 from George but I have always wondered what the Map 2 values are.

car2fast4you

Ride
2019 GTI - S
Map 2 is an additive map, +5 psi over ecu_psi. The point of Map 6 is to adjust, not to keep it at "out of the box" settings...
I understand that Map 2 is an additive map -- but 5 PSI is the PEAK added boost. It is not 5 PSI across the board.

I just installed my JB4 over the weekend. And, I have the bluetooth connect kit. But the app doesn't let you look at the settings for Map 1 or Map 2.

Based on my butt dyno, Map 2 pulls significantly harder than Map 6 in higher gears at higher RPM's. I have a stock 2019 GTI-S; and I'd like to preserve the clutch for as long as I can. Since I don't race my car, or drive overly aggressive, I feel like I can do that. It just so happens that the shipped Map 6 was designed specifically for someone like me.

Anyway, I'd just like to see what the settings are on Map 2, in case I decide to tweak Map 6 myself. Since I bought my JB4 used, I didn't want to bother George with this if I can get some feedback here.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Ready to race!
I believe that map 6 may be based off map 2, maybe 1 and ready for adjustment. I don't recall because I don't plan on customizing for a while. Unless you've adjusted it, which it doesn't sound like, the last thing I would do with a used unit is run the adjustable map 6 with the previous owner's settings. Map 6 may just not be as strong because it's pulling timing or something else not really as good for the vehicle. It may also just be setup more benign which would be fine but I wouldn't assume anything without having done it myself.

I think that what you want to do to save your clutch is to reduce boost at lower RPM and gradually raise it to match a standard map up top. If I were you, I'd run map 1, update the FW and drop George a line or ask for specific clutch saving settings here from someone that's tried them.

blaqsheep

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
IS38 GTI
I understand that Map 2 is an additive map -- but 5 PSI is the PEAK added boost. It is not 5 PSI across the board.
I looked at my Map 2 logs and it’s showing +5 psi target for the entire 3rd gear pull, however this was on older firmware. I can’t comment on the latest firmware but will gladly log and report back.

car2fast4you

Ride
2019 GTI - S
Thank you for the advice. But my "used" JB4 was actually brand new, and never installed. I bought it from someone who kept it for a while, but decided not to use it.

Regardless, the shipped Map 6 settings are readily available for viewing online. So, I know that what I have on mine were not altered.

car2fast4you

Ride
2019 GTI - S
Posted by George on N54Tech.com, in the JB4 for Gen3 VAG Group section...

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended.
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates.
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta).
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.

It's clear to me that the base Map 6 settings are similar to Map 2, but definitely different.

goodvibes

Ready to race!
Thank you for the advice. But my "used" JB4 was actually brand new, and never installed. I bought it from someone who kept it for a while, but decided not to use it.

Regardless, the shipped Map 6 settings are readily available for viewing online. So, I know that what I have on mine were not altered.
Nice find. I think the upper ranges of map 6 are very similar or same as map 2. I was a little concerned that your butt dyno noticed a difference there. I've never tried map 6 so carry on and congrats on the purchase.?