GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

glina126

Ready to race!
How does the JB1 compare to the NEUSPEED power module? Will the hp/tq gains be similar? What are the major differences? Thanks

Should be around the same, though from what i am seeing, you can play around with the JB1 which makes it better. I.e if you have an intake, you can boost a bit more and etc.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
How does the JB1 compare to the NEUSPEED power module? Will the hp/tq gains be similar? What are the major differences? Thanks

The JB1 runs more logic than a system that only biases boost. It controls boost and fueling across the rev range at preset values. The fueling is important as it prevents lean spikes on gear changes since there is no need for the car to go lean in order to have the ECU compensate first (this is what happens when you rely on the ecu adapting for fueling). This also plays a role through the rev range because the unit does run the car lean first with a fueling adaption required by the ECU to hit its AFR target. There are four built in maps available and within each you can select your own boost setting relative to the bolts ons or octane you using. Some users require something more conservative and actually decrease the boost a tad and others may want to add a little based on their mods. The unit on Map 0 runs a direct pass through with no intervention, Map 1 is suitable for 91/93 octane and boost can also be increased to suite bolt on mods, Map 2 is a more aggressive map with a different to stock boost profile across the rpm range suitable to bolt on cars with higher octane available or a ethanol mix and Map 3 is a methanol map where the JB works as a controller and has a fail safe system that lowers the boost if there is no meth flow.

Here is a typical dynojet run with intake, dp and 93 on our low torque firmware. The user added E35 and ran 299whp on the same boost. Not sure how it compares to other piggy backs.

Last edited:

matimer

Ready to race!
50% of our users can access the plug from the top of the motor. If you are not successful you
will need to remove the engine under-tray under the car.

So looking at the instructions, it looks like plug D will be a bothersome. George, how likely do you think one will need to remove the under tray? Is it too far to reach from the top?

Unclespud

Ready to race!
The JB1 runs more logic than a system that only biases boost. It controls boost and fueling across the rev range at preset values. The fueling is important as it prevents lean spikes on gear changes since there is no need for the car to go lean in order to have the ECU compensate first (this is what happens when you rely on the ecu adapting for fueling). This also plays a role through the rev range because the unit does run the car lean first with a fueling adaption required by the ECU to hit its AFR target.

George, I have no automotive expertise, but it sounds as if the Neuspeed module is inherently unsafe for the motor in that the ecu is constantly adapting from running lean. Would this be a reasonable conclusion based on your explanation of the differences between the JB1 and the NPM?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
George, I have no automotive expertise, but it sounds as if the Neuspeed module is inherently unsafe for the motor in that the ecu is constantly adapting from running lean. Would this be a reasonable conclusion based on your explanation of the differences between the JB1 and the NPM?

I wouldn't call it unsafe. I know people that have used similar modules without any long term affects. The modern ECU's run adaptations pretty fast even in day to day driving due to temperature changes etc but not at a constant rate. Its more a matter of there is a better way of doing it. On testing that I have done using a few people the smoothness was noticed though when I switched the fuel properties off on the JB. We have also noticed changes in power felt which is probably why we make more with less boost.
If you on the fence for swopping the Neuspeed out for safety reasons I wouldn't let that be a concern.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So looking at the instructions, it looks like plug D will be a bothersome. George, how likely do you think one will need to remove the under tray? Is it too far to reach from the top?

Although I haven't practiced much I can reach it but not unclip it. At the moment 8 out of 11 have reached it. Yes I am keeping track. Its a pity that sensor goes straight to the ECU and we couldn't get a easier location.
Before we managed to come right with the plug next to the manifold which caused the majority of the delays the only option for that one was at the sensor under the manifold. That got interesting.

Fernflex

Ready to race!
I connected mine from below and taking the lower plastic cover is very simple and you dont need a jack and stands depending on how you park your car.

N10S

Ready to race!
George,

Congratulations on the release of your JB1! You mentioned the yet to be released JB4 in your first post, whats the outlook for the release of that unit ? I do love the plug and play set-up and the ability to remove the unit as I see fit whenever or wherever I want. Will the JB4 have a 93 octane map option?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
George,

Congratulations on the release of your JB1! You mentioned the yet to be released JB4 in your first post, whats the outlook for the release of that unit ? I do love the plug and play set-up and the ability to remove the unit as I see fit whenever or wherever I want. Will the JB4 have a 93 octane map option?

You can run the JB1 with 93 by slightly increasing the boost from the default setting.
The JB4 will have Canbus access with logging, code clearing. Power wise it will be slightly higher than the Stage 1 unit.
We looking at a end of the year release.