GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
George,

Sorry to keep bugging you, just really excited here.

With 93 octane and the mods below in my signature I want to set Map 1 to use +5.5 instead of +4.75 correct?

Increase it in .25 increments. 5.5 is the max for the mods. If the car gets sluggish in the heat click it back a notch.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Increase it in .25 increments. 5.5 is the max for the mods. If the car gets sluggish in the heat click it back a notch.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot here once it dries up outside.

I don't think I'll heat soak too bad with the FMIC, but if I do ill drop it to 5.25.

satanic

Right out of the box Map 1 is ready to go. I know that much.

4th gear is awesome lol just got done running her hard. I am using 93 octane with no bolt-ons so, tomorrow I am going to hook up the laptop and give it a little more boost.

Thanks for the update, sounds very promising indeed.

If you wouldn't mind, could you take some screenshots of the steps taken to play with the boost settings? There are a lot of fields on the interface, would like to see what all the other numbers look like.

Do you have any plans on putting her on a dyno to measure HP/TQ against AFR?

Thanks man.

Map 1 is ready to go without needing the cable. The base map setting is +4.75psi and its suitable on the S3 to run on 91. You going to want to increase this too +5.25 when you run 93 and see how the car feels, if you feel it hanging slightly at the top just lower it slightly. This is preferred so the car can run consistently during the heat of the day and night.
Once map two is released you can run the setting we going to recommend at the time for the more aggressive curve with 91. Again you can work with the psi even in map 2 to what is suitable to 91 and 93.

The reason the JB4 has not been released is I decided to rather do a completed unit without the need of the add on's we saw on the N54. I like to do things systematic and the last thing I want is to expect someone to evolve via the development stages knowing each step that happened in the years that went past. The great thing is that most the work has been done on the BMW's so its basically piggy backing on that platform.

I have screenshots on page 1, not sure if everyone can see them?

Again, music... sounds to me like those with access to 93 octane / 98 ron will have a choice between Map 1 and Map 2, the difference being the tweaking of boost levels to suit.

Have you got any graphs showing AFRs from your testing & development? I assume the JB has the ability to influence not just Boost & Timing, but also Air/Fuel?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the update, sounds very promising indeed.

If you wouldn't mind, could you take some screenshots of the steps taken to play with the boost settings? There are a lot of fields on the interface, would like to see what all the other numbers look like.

Do you have any plans on putting her on a dyno to measure HP/TQ against AFR?

Again, music... sounds to me like those with access to 93 octane / 98 ron will have a choice between Map 1 and Map 2, the difference being the tweaking of boost levels to suit.

Have you got any graphs showing AFRs from your testing & development? I assume the JB has the ability to influence not just Boost & Timing, but also Air/Fuel?

The Stage 1 targets the stock AFR range. The boost ramps up in each gear and in fourth the ECU pours the fuel in. Stock target is 14.00 measured at the exhaust housing and in fourth it drops to low 13.00. The unit runs against the stock timing curve hence more power from timing than boost. There is no fuel adaption because it is compensated by rail pressure keeping the injection cycles stock.

I have circled the relevant adjustables in this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31319

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
If you have a PZEV GTI be prepared to bend the bracket for the secondary air pump when installing the Twintercooler.

That was a nice surprise an hour into that install for me.

Anyway, my intake air temps hang around 10F above ambient during quick runs (as measured by P3). I've seen them as low as 83 F during the start of a pull.

satanic

The Stage 1 targets the stock AFR range. The boost ramps up in each gear and in fourth the ECU pours the fuel in. Stock target is 14.00 measured at the exhaust housing and in fourth it drops to low 13.00. The unit runs against the stock timing curve hence more power from timing than boost. There is no fuel adaption because it is compensated by rail pressure keeping the injection cycles stock.

I have circled the relevant adjustables in this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31319

Great... I read elsewhere that a big problem with some of the other offerings is that the A/F isn't managed well, and the car basically leans out 'dangerously' towards the top end.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Do you recommend the Forge twin set up over the FMIC in the market and why? How bout a Golf R intercooler?

The twin setup obviously has more volume for cooling. At the boost levels the turbo can run it does not run out of steam pushing so much volume and no noticeable lag is created.
I would go with a FMIC over the R cooler purely due to the R being a small upgrade vs the GTI and they both do not get the coldest air first, the fact that its got plastic end tanks also does not help neither.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Great... I read elsewhere that a big problem with some of the other offerings is that the A/F isn't managed well, and the car basically leans out 'dangerously' towards the top end.

My experience with some units I tested is that on the DSG the AFR after a gearchange falling into peak boost does not recover fast enough since its got to see lean first from the lambda to adapt. The fuel pressure biasing compensates for this instantly because the pressure remains pegged during the gearchange.

HB_Avery

Passed Driver's Ed
I will do my best to get some screenshots while increasing the boost unless some one beats me to it. I am going to try running +5.00 because of this Texas heat and stock IC.

Johnny Blaze

Go Kart Champion
The twin setup obviously has more volume for cooling. At the boost levels the turbo can run it does not run out of steam pushing so much volume and no noticeable lag is created.
I would go with a FMIC over the R cooler purely due to the R being a small upgrade vs the GTI and they both do not get the coldest air first, the fact that its got plastic end tanks also does not help neither.

Still undecided :D

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Just did a few runs at +5.3, car did not fall on its face or seem to heat soak.

Just bumped it to 5.5 for the drive to work tomorrow, should be around the same temperature in the morning going in.

Now that I'm running the correct map there is definitely a difference here, car pulls nice and strong through the 4th and 5th gear runs I just did.

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
Not sure what number I am on the install list now but I am ready on the out of box map (Map 1) for the drive to work.
Fully stock, minus the soundackor disconnected.

Cannot wait... may not even sleep tonight.