GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Well, I pulled the trigger on a generic fin and tube black version of the BMS/Rev9 , at least it has the exact same core dimensions (24x16x2) and looks identical other than color. Decided to jump on this one as it is basically the same thing found on AliExpress, but for $60-100 less after shipping, and I personally think fin and tube might perform a little better in the stock location. I only found it after searching charge pipes and stumbled upon it after finding a nice looking set of charge pipes for the money from this Chinese based seller and I checked out their store. They have some stuff in warehouse in NJ, including the charge pipes, but this is coming from China in 2-4 weeks.

I believe this is the lowest shipped price of any stock mount IC upgrade you can find right now, but only 3 total were available and now only 2 left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304380843262

I also ordered the yellow/beige or whatever color they are clips that everyone says is easy to break. Since I'm waiting a while for the IC anyway, I went and found a full set with lower mounts too in a better black color for under $8 shipped free off Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003227774499.html

So, while not trying to thread jack with a non-BMS piece, I think some people might be interested in how a fin and tube version of the BMS turns out, so I'll update later once everything arrives and I'll comment on install/fitment and temp results. Apparently it's essentially a black version of the Rev9.

Last edited:

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Well, I pulled the trigger on a generic fin and tube black version of the BMS/Rev9 , at least it has the exact same core dimensions (24x16x2) and looks identical other than color. Decided to jump on this one as it is basically the same thing found on AliExpress, but for $60-100 less after shipping, and I personally think fin and tube might perform a little better in the stock location. I only found it after searching charge pipes and stumbled upon it after finding a nice looking set of charge pipes for the money from this Chinese based seller and I checked out their store. They have some stuff in warehouse in NJ, including the charge pipes, but this is coming from China in 2-4 weeks.

I believe this is the lowest shipped price of any stock mount IC upgrade you can find right now, but only 3 total were available and now only 2 left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304380843262

I also ordered the yellow/beige or whatever color they are clips that everyone says is easy to break. Since I'm waiting a while for the IC anyway, I went and found a full set with lower mounts too in a better black color for under $8 shipped free off Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003227774499.html

So, while not trying to thread jack with a non-BMS piece, I think some people might be interested in how a fin and tube version of the BMS turns out, so I'll update later once everything arrives and I'll comment on install/fitment and temp results. Apparently it's essentially a black version of the Rev9.
Based on a cursory look at the IC you linked and BMS, I don't see a strong resemblance. The BMS has a flow divider on the inlet, the mounting points at the top of the end tank have a different shape where they transition into the end tank, the slots the radiator sits in look different, and the BMS has 23 charge rows versus 20 on the eBay IC.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Based on a cursory look at the IC you linked and BMS, I don't see a strong resemblance. The BMS has a flow divider on the inlet, the mounting points at the top of the end tank have a different shape where they transition into the end tank, the slots the radiator sits in look different, and the BMS has 23 charge rows versus 20 on the eBay IC.
You know, of course after I posted, I realize that it's a Rev9 clone more than it's related to BMS, despite them all having the same core size... so I'll be posting in the Rev9 thread going forward.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Does anyone have pics of how/where they zip tied the BMS IC? The snap in slots are definitely waaay to big which seems a bit odd. But the radiator is definitely just flopping around back there.

Villa714

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
15’ tdi, 16’ GTI
Does anyone have pics of how/where they zip tied the BMS IC? The snap in slots are definitely waaay to big which seems a bit odd. But the radiator is definitely just flopping around back there.
Just wrapped around to secure to radiator.

Attachments

• 217601FA-01EA-4DD5-9608-51BD395AD6B4.jpeg
    217601FA-01EA-4DD5-9608-51BD395AD6B4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • D4EF8EDC-5407-461B-BF86-B8D3208F2B3A.jpeg
    D4EF8EDC-5407-461B-BF86-B8D3208F2B3A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Ended up running some self tapping screws -carefully- through the front tabs of the IC into the radiator tab. Super solid now.
I can't definitively that my IAT is significantly lower under WOT- the few logs I've pulled suggest I'm running 10-15 above ambient under WOT.
But I have noticed that the oil is taking significantly longer to get up to temp.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Magic for 3 years now. IATs never over 15 ambient, light track duty as well. Highly recommend - I also got it when it was $300. Not sure what it costs now.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Ended up running some self tapping screws -carefully- through the front tabs of the IC into the radiator tab. Super solid now.
I can't definitively that my IAT is significantly lower under WOT- the few logs I've pulled suggest I'm running 10-15 above ambient under WOT.
But I have noticed that the oil is taking significantly longer to get up to temp.

You're about in line with what most people experience. I had about 18 degrees over ambient in 3rd gear with the BMS IC, and then on a 4th gear pull a whopping 32 degrees over ambient. It's not a good intercooler.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Yeah...its not a whole lot better than stock. My Cobb AP logs thus far would indicate that it hasn't had a real noticeable impact. It has definitely opened up airflow to the radiator...but its not doing great by itself

In which case..at what point will they (urotuning is who I bought it from, or BMP) not offer some sort of refund/return? I suspect not at all since I had to drill into it to even get it to fit. Bummed I blew $480 on this thing. It was a sloppy fit and it doesn't seem to be working all that well. I came in with tempered expectation because I felt the whole "Aftermarket IC" thing was a tad overblown. But this is bad.

Last edited:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Is this a tube and fin cooler? While these are lighter they generally do not as good of a job managing IATs on repeated pulls. The magic Intercooler I bought is bar and plate- it will heat soak in stop and go traffic but once continuously moving never goes above 15 ambient even with 28psi from stage 2.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Is this a tube and fin cooler? While these are lighter they generally do not as good of a job managing IATs on repeated pulls. The magic Intercooler I bought is bar and plate- it will heat soak in stop and go traffic but once continuously moving never goes above 15 ambient even with 28psi from stage 2.
BMS IC is a Bar and Plate system. And I've noticed the heating while at a stand still or when behind another car or more noticeably when behind a semi on the highway.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Yeah...its not a whole lot better than stock. My Cobb AP logs thus far would indicate that it hasn't had a real noticeable impact. It has definitely opened up airflow to the radiator...but its not doing great by itself

In which case..at what point will they (urotuning is who I bought it from, or BMP) not offer some sort of refund/return? I suspect not at all since I had to drill into it to even get it to fit. Bummed I blew $480 on this thing. It was a sloppy fit and it doesn't seem to be working all that well. I came in with tempered expectation because I felt the whole "Aftermarket IC" thing was a tad overblown. But this is bad.

Yeah, sorry to see you're another one with poor results. I posted my datalog showing the 32 degrees over ambient and the result of the crap welds/quality on post #473 of this thread. I hope it has helped deter people from wasting their money on this thing.