GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blurred license plate numbers

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
There's an instance a while back when (iirc) someone's dealership figured out their forum username and mods based on license plates found in photos posted online. As mentioned above, it's pretty much problematic if you're moded.

I know some people definitely prefer the anonymity. Sure, anyone can see your plates when your car's outside, but it's not like these people know much about you. Now if you've got photos of your car online and have a strong online presence that can be easily traced to those photos, someone can gather more information about you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

^ This!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Thanks for the replies. I don't care if people do it or if it bothers people, I was just curious why do it

The best ones are the people on Craigslist who have barely running or non-running beaters who put their thumbs over the plates. “Ohhh... you got me craigslist guy. I was totally going to (somehow) track down your location using your plate and steal your jalopy. And judging by that sweet mansion of a trailer in the background along with the unkept grass, children running barefoot, and empty cases of miller high life maybe take your identity too. But you foiled me again!”

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had a dealership creep my IG and see an intake on my old tdi. Tried to "deny coverage"...yeah VWoA didn't give a shit, told me to go to another dealership. Said new dealer was great and fixed my car on the first try no bs. Previous one had the car three times and fixed nothing

This was pre dieselgate DPF regen issues, go figure lol

Now I use the simple policy just never visit the dealer and it doesn't matter what I do. TD1 is there due to being tuned if I do so why bother

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
There's an instance a while back when (iirc) someone's dealership figured out their forum username and mods based on license plates found in photos posted online. As mentioned above, it's pretty much problematic if you're moded.

Really? So there is irrefutable proof of this? They figured it out from forum posts and nothing else?

So if I walk around the corner to my neighbors house and take a pic of his GTI with license plate in view then post it here with the phrase “I’m gonna mod this bitch till it blows up” he’s pretty much effed? Interesting and scary thought. Hope he never pisses me off (and vice versa).

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The best ones are the people on Craigslist who have barely running or non-running beaters who put their thumbs over the plates. “Ohhh... you got me craigslist guy. I was totally going to (somehow) track down your location using your plate and steal your jalopy. And judging by that sweet mansion of a trailer in the background along with the unkept grass, children running barefoot, and empty cases of miller high life maybe take your identity too. But you foiled me again!”
LOL I barely use Facebook now, but I checked in recently and saw they have a marketplace section now. What you described is literally every car post I saw on there. Even saw a completely crashed GTR on sale for 70k...

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I've read that people who track/autocross their cars may have issues with their insurance companies, if they were to become aware that the car is being "raced." I know people who attend our local autocross events occasionally will tape over their plates for this reason.

How much of an issue it this? I don't know. I suppose it's possible that an insurance company could troll through someone's Facebook or other social sites if there were a claim made.

It's probably prudent, but I don't bother.

Loonster

Ready to race!
You know what I think is hilarious, when you go on Craigslist and there are 4 photos of the car. One of them has the license plate blurred, the other 3 don't.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It kinda freaks me out that people can look up your plate and get your address. Even more reason not to engage in road rage. I need to get a James Bond type of plate that switches at a press of a button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I know some people definitely prefer the anonymity. Sure, anyone can see your plates when your car's outside, but it's not like these people know much about you. Now if you've got photos of your car online and have a strong online presence that can be easily traced to those photos, someone can gather more information about you.

Dealerships do not deny warranty claims, VW does. So that story they told is BS.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Dealerships do not deny warranty claims, VW does. So that story they told is BS.
You're right that VW is the one who denies warranty claims, though I didn't say the dealer denied the warranty claim. They just related the person's identity to a forum username via the license plate. I don't even remember what happened to that guy

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
If you can figure out where I live come on over to wash my car and have a drink afterwards.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
I'm not sure what its like over the pond, but in the UK lots of stolen cars have their plates changed to cloned ones after they've been stolen.
I've witnessed this first hand when my mums Mk4 was taken...

Let's say the thief has stolen a car of Type XYZ.

He/she wants to hide it's a stolen car by using a number/license plate that belongs to a car of the same type. Idea being, if the Police run the plate through their computer, it won't come back as stolen as the actual car the plate belongs to hasn't been stolen and the stored type/colour of car matches the vehicle on the road, the Police are none the wiser.

To find a valid set of fake number plates, he/she can easily go onto a forum, Instagram or an auction website, search for cars of Type XYZ in the same colour, and copy/reproduce the number plates.

For sure people see your plate on a daily basis but by hiding them online makes it somewhat more difficult.