GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blurred license plate numbers

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Curious as to why people blur or cover up their license/number (for you European types) plate numbers in photos online. People see your plate all the time on the road, what's the big deal if it's online? If you're doing something illegal on a video it's understandable, but just in photos and such, what's the big deal?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Curious as to why people blur or cover up their license/number (for you European types) plate numbers in photos online. People see your plate all the time on the road, what's the big deal if it's online? If you're doing something illegal on a video it's understandable, but just in photos and such, what's the big deal?

Post your name and address here and I'll tell you.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Post your name and address here and I'll tell you.
I've posted photos with my license plate visible many times, but I find it hard to believe that it's that easy to find out someone's name and address from their plate without knowing a cop or something

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
For someone keeping their MK7 oem stock, there is no real concern to posting your license plate, except for the occasional pesky axe murderer or ID thief, who may have their ways of finding victims via license plates. There could be programs and ways available on the Dark Web that can do things most of us do not dream of. One would assume many axe murderers etc will hang out on the Dark Web.

However, people who do warranty-voiding mods will want to blur their plates. Otherwise, you're announcing to VW Dealers: "Hi there! I have mods that void my warranty. If I bring my car in for warranty service, you will know me by my license plate I posted on a public forum."

Your next question or comment will be something like: "Oh, c'mon, VW dealers are too busy to watch forums." To that, I'd say, you are right, some % of time. But what %? It is a FACT that VW dealers HAVE used forum info to avoid honoring a warranty. Search for it. Point is, why take the chance, unless you are certain you will never mod? And, you know...axe murderers. Maybe you pack a pistola, but then you'd have to shoot everyone you see carrying an axe, before they got within swinging distance. There could be some legal issues arising from that, unless you ran away, and were lucky. Do you feel lucky?

Disclaimer: The above post was written to be helpful, but also because I was bored at work again. Now I'm not bored !! :D

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's just a simple matter of privacy. I'm sure if someone really wanted to find your name and address they could find a way, but why make it easier for them? Rub someone the wrong way on the forums and who knows what might happen to your car? Advertise your mods on your car, and give enough info about your life and daily routine... makes it easier for robbery intel. Call me paranoid, but hiding your plate is a simple practice and habit that takes seconds. I find it funny that it annoys some people, why do they even care?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I always blur my plates while driving and drive like I'm in a Hollywood car chase before returning to my work or home...EVERYONE is after me

Same logic. Lol

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've posted photos with my license plate visible many times, but I find it hard to believe that it's that easy to find out someone's name and address from their plate without knowing a cop or something

For a small fee you can find your name, address, and driving record online. I don't need the wrong people snooping around my business. Sure, odds are it will never happen, but why risk it? I'm sure you would feel uncomfortable adding your home address to your sig.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I always blur my plates while driving and drive like I'm in a Hollywood car chase before returning to my work or home...EVERYONE is after me

Same logic. Lol

To each his own. Again, I find it funny why anyone else should care if they hide their license plate info? LOL.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

Same logic. Lol

I agree with this Logic. They ARE after us, so we HAVE to drive fast. Also, perfect excuse if pulled over: "Sorry, Officer. I was running from serial killers. They went that-a-way!!" Then maybe the Cop jumps in his car and goes after 'em, and you don't get a ticket.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
I find it funny that it annoys some people, why do they even care?

I don’t personally care. It’s just a bizarre practice. One that I assume someone somewhere thought it made them safer(it doesn’t) and so everyone else started following suit.

It’s like people who throw salt over their shoulder and genuinely believe it brings them good luck. I don’t lose any sleep over it. It’s just bizarre.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
For people who don't mod, it probably doesn't matter.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
So somewhere in VW headquarters, the top brass has decided it makes sense to pay a team of people to scour the internet 24/7 and build a database of people who mod vehicles so that they can deny claims?

How much does this job pay? Benefits? Are they hiring?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the replies. I don't care if people do it or if it bothers people, I was just curious why do it

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
So somewhere in VW headquarters, the top brass has decided it makes sense to pay a team of people to scour the internet 24/7 and build a database of people who mod vehicles so that they can deny claims?

How much does this job pay? Benefits? Are they hiring?

They were hiring a couple weeks ago. It pays $380,000 a year with full benefits, but no vacations. I was going to do it but would have had to relocate to Anchorage, Alaska. Can't find the link now.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
There's an instance a while back when (iirc) someone's dealership figured out their forum username and mods based on license plates found in photos posted online. As mentioned above, it's pretty much problematic if you're moded.

I know some people definitely prefer the anonymity. Sure, anyone can see your plates when your car's outside, but it's not like these people know much about you. Now if you've got photos of your car online and have a strong online presence that can be easily traced to those photos, someone can gather more information about you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk