GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blurred license plate numbers

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
If you can figure out where I live come on over to wash my car and have a drink afterwards.

You live in Rhode Island and your birthday is in august. creepy huh!!!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure what its like over the pond, but in the UK lots of stolen cars have their plates changed to cloned ones after they've been stolen.
I've witnessed this first hand when my mums Mk4 was taken...

Let's say the thief has stolen a car of Type XYZ.

He/she wants to hide it's a stolen car by using a number/license plate that belongs to a car of the same type. Idea being, if the Police run the plate through their computer, it won't come back as stolen as the actual car the plate belongs to hasn't been stolen and the stored type/colour of car matches the vehicle on the road, the Police are none the wiser.

To find a valid set of fake number plates, he/she can easily go onto a forum, Instagram or an auction website, search for cars of Type XYZ in the same colour, and copy/reproduce the number plates.

For sure people see your plate on a daily basis but by hiding them online makes it somewhat more difficult.

Very interesting point, I've never thought about that

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I feel that if I have to blur it out here, in our nice VW community, I should absolutely blur it out everywhere in public....and I'm sure law enforcement would have an issue with that. Besides, I don't pay $150 a year for personalized plates to hide them :)

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure what its like over the pond, but in the UK lots of stolen cars have their plates changed to cloned ones after they've been stolen.
I've witnessed this first hand when my mums Mk4 was taken...

Let's say the thief has stolen a car of Type XYZ.

He/she wants to hide it's a stolen car by using a number/license plate that belongs to a car of the same type. Idea being, if the Police run the plate through their computer, it won't come back as stolen as the actual car the plate belongs to hasn't been stolen and the stored type/colour of car matches the vehicle on the road, the Police are none the wiser.

To find a valid set of fake number plates, he/she can easily go onto a forum, Instagram or an auction website, search for cars of Type XYZ in the same colour, and copy/reproduce the number plates.

For sure people see your plate on a daily basis but by hiding them online makes it somewhat more difficult.
A plate is attached to a VIN in the UK as it is here, no? Those are unique, and nobody posts picture of their VIN plates.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
A plate is attached to a VIN in the UK as it is here, no? Those are unique, and nobody posts picture of their VIN plates.

Correct. I feel that most cops wont go far enough to search the vin if the plates match the description of the vehicle

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
All this just boils down to is— use whatever level of security/privacy you’re comfortable with. Some people leave their blinds up at night, some people dont feel its necessary to lock their front door, some people use 1234 as their password...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
At least at this moment, Anchorage is warmer than most of the Lower 48. :D

Oops, sorry Mike. I could've used 100 other places, but had to use a place I thought was colder than where I am. Who knew? :eek: Next time I'll use the Ukraine :D Peace :)

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If you can figure out where I live come on over to wash my car and have a drink afterwards.

Fyi, whenever a plate is "run", the user and plate are documented in a database.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Correct. I feel that most cops wont go far enough to search the vin if the plates match the description of the vehicle

The VIN is irrelevant if caught by an ANPR or speed camera as that sends the fine to the owner through the post and will be in the post before the driver gets home. Cloning cars has been around for decades and there are thousands on our roads driving without insurance as they rely the ANPR camera to link them with the legitimate vehicle. It is up to the owner to then prove they did not commit the crime or were not in that area at the time.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The VIN is irrelevant if caught by an ANPR or speed camera as that sends the fine to the owner through the post and will be in the post before the driver gets home. Cloning cars has been around for decades and there are thousands on our roads driving without insurance as they rely the ANPR camera to link them with the legitimate vehicle. It is up to the owner to then prove they did not commit the crime or were not in that area at the time.
This was in respect to tracking stolen vehicles, not speed cameras

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I can see blurring a plate AND leaving location information blank on the forums whilst you are under warranty.

However, if the concern is someone online can find you and fuck with you in real life, or that a legal event may be easily tracked back to your online persona, I believe that it is already very easy for people to find you out, if they want to. Check out doxing, which can lead to (famously) swatting.

The way I drive, I wish I could blur my license plate in real life!

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Repo men always have to check vins, it's common for their "clients" to swap plates with a similar or identical type of vehicle.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
For someone keeping their MK7 oem stock, there is no real concern to posting your license plate, except for the occasional pesky axe murderer or ID thief, who may have their ways of finding victims via license plates. There could be programs and ways available on the Dark Web that can do things most of us do not dream of. One would assume many axe murderers etc will hang out on the Dark Web.

However, people who do warranty-voiding mods will want to blur their plates. Otherwise, you're announcing to VW Dealers: "Hi there! I have mods that void my warranty. If I bring my car in for warranty service, you will know me by my license plate I posted on a public forum."

Your next question or comment will be something like: "Oh, c'mon, VW dealers are too busy to watch forums." To that, I'd say, you are right, some % of time. But what %? It is a FACT that VW dealers HAVE used forum info to avoid honoring a warranty. Search for it. Point is, why take the chance, unless you are certain you will never mod? And, you know...axe murderers. Maybe you pack a pistola, but then you'd have to shoot everyone you see carrying an axe, before they got within swinging distance. There could be some legal issues arising from that, unless you ran away, and were lucky. Do you feel lucky?

Disclaimer: The above post was written to be helpful, but also because I was bored at work again. Now I'm not bored !! :D

You know, there is a semblance of truth to this... Don't think that blurring my LP would have helped much, but i had my cobalt-ss in a shop once. I was mid build and had a very active thread about it. While it was in the shop for some fueling work, the shop kept having problems and telling me they couldn't tune it, stuff like that. But everyone in the thread was telling me how to do it, you have the correct parts, etc. Basically at the end of the day they as well as i were publicly... doubting... the ability of the shop. The shop, meanwhile, had been googling 'how to fit 'x' parts to cobalt... and found the thread, saw a lot of us talking shit, got really mad and gave up! But they recognized me for talking directly about their shop, pictures of my car, etc.